• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do Crop Unrestricted & Crop using Ratio have different results, even if selected area is same?

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s something that’s been puzzling me for a while. When I zoom in 100% and select the entire zoomed-in area for cropping, the appearance of the image doesn’t change after cropping if I’ve set the tool option to No Restriction. For example, when the following image is cropped to include everything shown here . . .

Unrestricted crop at 100%Unrestricted crop at 100%

. . . it’s still looks the same as what I cropped when it is zoomed to 100%

But if I set the option to Use Photo Ratio before cropping, the result zoomed to 100% looks like this:

Use photo ratioUse photo ratio

Can someone explain the process and/or theory behind this? I’m just curious.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think any difference would depend on the resolution of the photo, the aspect ratio of your monitor and the orientation of the image.  For example, in the following screenshot, I have a high resolution portrait image set at 100% zoom level (Ctrl+1).  In the Navigator window, you can see that my monitor is displaying a landscape view of the image.  If I were to crop everything on the screen using no restrictions, the resulting crop will be a landscape image.

However, in the Editing screen, with crop set to Use Photo Ratio, I can only crop a portrait image. 

The same situation exists with a high resolution landscape image with an aspect ratio that does not match the monitor's aspect ratio.

Does that answer your question?

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.12.30_00h32m38s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines