• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Organizer create duplicate images?

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been told in a response to a related questions I asked in another thread that when I move photos within Organizer the files will be renamed with a -1 suffix. But the original photos are actually duplicated, not overwritten!! Why?!

Upon opening Organizer for the first time, I decided to better organize my photos and moved around hundreds of them. That's what you do with an organizer, right?!

So I check my Windows 10 Pictures folder and find hundreds of exact duplicates (same size, dimensions, etc) of the photos I moved. These duplicate photos do NOT show in Organizer, only on my hard drive. I deleted them only to find that Organizer now says these photos are missing....and I have to reconnect each.

Why does Organizer make duplicates? They consume disk space, a precious commodity for those of us who have a very modestly sized Solid-state drive.

-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

fotografffic  wrote

I've been told in a response to a related questions I asked in another thread that when I move photos within Organizer the files will be renamed with a -1 suffix. But the original photos are actually duplicated, not overwritten!! Why?!

Upon opening Organizer for the first time, I decided to better organize my photos and moved around hundreds of them. That's what you do with an organizer, right?!

So I check my Windows 10 Pictures folder and find hundreds of exact duplicates (same

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can as programmer have a great respect for the programmers and staff, and
I can unduplicate my 20000+ files. But then the problem start with
correcting the duplicates. I used to be able to do this in one run for all
duplicates, now I have to open an file, compress is and delete the
underlying files.

With 1000+ duplicates that is a lot of unnecessary work.

met vriendelijke groet,

Th van den Berg

Meervalkolk 8

8017PD Zwolle

tel 038-4605619

Skype be100702

Details? Click hier

https://nextdoor.nl/invite/gygdnjwptbwmdcxcznqx

De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor
geadresseerde(n). Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet
toegestaan

--
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we can "live with it." It is a balance of features, convenience, and predictability.  The "duplicates" quirk subtracts a few points from my "convenience" and "predictability" scores.  It's disconcerting to get multiple images on the Organizer, not know the cause, and not know the solution.  Yes, some accept "living with it" and some take the wasted time to eliminate them. And some go to a different method of organizing.  I am seeing why many have abandoned the use of the Organizer for a simpler and more controllable and predictable system of organizing thousands of photos.

It's a shame the corporate powers that be don't give a c--p about this problem prioritize addressing this problem.

My Elements 9 doesn't do this, not even after all my cloning and boot drive changes.  But I "upgraded" to the latest thinking significant improvements that make the user experience more seamless would be implemented after 10 years.  Yes, I have mixed feelings and wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My photo folders contain apprx 50'000 photos.  When I updated from PS organizer (PSO) 2018 to 2022 the PSO shows apprx 150'000 photos.  The original photos have been duplicated or triplicated with a different file names like this "4DD810B5-73C7-45CE-9554-DD8CB2428814_4_5005_c.jpeg" What should I do to eliminate the excess photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines