• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY does PS 15 crop photos for printing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a landscape photo I took in Scottland.  When I try to print it, no matter what size (and I want 13x19 paper) it crops off both sides of the photo.  I have adjusted the print size, leaving the paper size the same and no matter what, it crops it without my OK.  WHY?? The entire photo is important. So, on the attached photo, the L top of the mountain in the forefront and the R mountains in the back are cut off by over an inch - but the p/o size is what I want.

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

1. The previous post delineates an erudite explanation of why cropping occurs when the aspect ratios of paper stock and picture do not coincide.

2. Your paper stock is 13x19"

3. Cropping the picture is not an option, as it would delete important information

4. Suggest that you go to File>New>Blank file and set w=19", h=13", resolution the same value as that of your picture file, background to suit.This will be your canvas

5. Copy/paste the picture on the canvas

6. Activate the move tool and posi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop problem is most likely caused by the different height/width ratio between your photo and the print. Your photo has a h/w ratio of 925/514=1.71, whilst the print has a h/w ratio of 19/13=1.46. Therefore you must set the print width at 19" and take into account that your print will have only a height of 19/1.71=11". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The previous post delineates an erudite explanation of why cropping occurs when the aspect ratios of paper stock and picture do not coincide.

2. Your paper stock is 13x19"

3. Cropping the picture is not an option, as it would delete important information

4. Suggest that you go to File>New>Blank file and set w=19", h=13", resolution the same value as that of your picture file, background to suit.This will be your canvas

5. Copy/paste the picture on the canvas

6. Activate the move tool and position the picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, and thanks.  you say in this feed to set the canvas to 19 x 18, but in the email I got directly into my Outlook it said 13 x 13:

Suggest that you go to File>New>Blank file and set w=13", h=13", resolution the same value as that of your picture file, background to suit.This will be your canvas

I will definitely try that.  as you could see from the photo, the 2" or so on either side are vital the the aspect of the subject.

Thanks, Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was a typo. Sorry.  Make canvas same dimensions as paper stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines