Highlighted

Why PSE 2018 Quick Selection Refine Edge Creating New Background Copy?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something just started happening that I can't figure out how to change:

I was using the Magic Wand on a broad area, then switched to Quick Selection for a little fine tuning. Then I went to Refine Edge and, when closing that, found that a new Background Copy mask had been created (and the original Background was locked).

Note: I did not selected Decontaminate Colors, which I know would have created that new layer.

In the past, I've been able to close Refine Edge and then save the selection for additional work. What happened to cause creation of the Background Copy? What do I need to undo to stop creation of it?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Correct answer by K-in-NC | Community Beginner

I figured it out! I had somehow set "View Mode" to "On Layers."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why PSE 2018 Quick Selection Refine Edge Creating New Background Copy?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something just started happening that I can't figure out how to change:

I was using the Magic Wand on a broad area, then switched to Quick Selection for a little fine tuning. Then I went to Refine Edge and, when closing that, found that a new Background Copy mask had been created (and the original Background was locked).

Note: I did not selected Decontaminate Colors, which I know would have created that new layer.

In the past, I've been able to close Refine Edge and then save the selection for additional work. What happened to cause creation of the Background Copy? What do I need to undo to stop creation of it?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Correct answer by K-in-NC | Community Beginner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That shouldn't be happening, let's make it right.

As the Quick Selection Refine Edge is creating a new background copy, could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop Elements and let us know if it helps? Preference file locations for Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it absolutely necessary to reset ALL preferences? I reset the selection tool (picking "reset tool" from the choices at the bottom right), and that did nothing. (I also closed PSE, then restarted it, and that made no difference either.)

(I'd rather not lose other selected settings if I can avoid that.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 0