• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't Photoshop Elements 14.1 open some files, and why can't it save any changes?

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since yesterday, when I try to open some image files (not all), PSE launches an error message to the effect that it can't open the file because there's been a problem analysing the JPEG data. When I do manage to open an image file and make changes to it, PSE won't save the changes and instead tells me that the "save" command can't be implemented because "there isn't enough RAM memory".

Does this have any connection with the latest Windows 10 upgrade? How can I "heal" PSE 14.1?

Please help!! Thanks in advance.

System info:

Version (Adobe Photoshop Elements): 14.1 (20151206.m.83730)  x64

(...)

Speed: 3912 MHz

Total memory: 4007 MB

Free memory: 1194 MB

Memory available for Photoshop Elements: 8 MB

Memory used by Photoshop Elements: 100 %

(...)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posed my problem as a comment on another thread [Re: Since installation of Windows 10 build 1803, cannot open .jpg in PSE 2018 ], and it's now solved, thanks to the intervention of MichelBParis.

As I've found out, this was a RAM problem, so the procedure* described at Ram trouble​ solved both issues for me: a) I can now open all JPG files, and b) PSE 14.1 will again save changes (I've tried my luck with JPG and TIFF files).

-------------------------------------------

*For easy access, I'm pasting the procedure here:

Ensure PSE 2018 is closed when using regedit.

Run regedit, go to: hkey current user > software > adobe > photoshop elements > 16.0 [14.0 in my case, with PSE 14.1]

Right click in right pane > new dword 32 bit value [The correct option is "new dword 32 bit value" even if, like mine, it's a 64 bit version

-- I first tried "new qword 64 bit value" to no effect.]

Type > OverridePhysicalMemoryMB

Open it > change to decimal > enter 8000 (eg 8000 MB for 8 GB RAM)

Click ok and close regedit [And the fix works right away, without having to reboot the PC.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but I got lost where it says type ........  Didn't know what to do there.  Can someone explain?  If I just start typing nothing happens.  where do I type? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you right-click in the right hand side pane, there appears a little box that reads “New” and carries a tiny arrow: click on the arrow, and a larger box with several options will pop up (options: “New dword 32...”, “New qword 64...”, etc.): click on “New dword 32...”, and in the right pane a new entry will appear, consisting of a little box, and it’s in this new little box that you type “OverridePhysicalMemoryMB”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked so well....Photoshop Elements back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also tryed this because i had the same problem worked perfectly!!

thank you so much for sharing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, leopold!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry where do I find regedit, if pbotoshop is closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did nothing for me... What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed these instructions to no avail. I have tried Microsoft help (in the end all they advised was to delete and reinstall elements 14, which I have done). Adobe's customer support is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Everything was just fine on windows 7, but windows 10 is a disaster and if I wasn't forced to "upgrade" by virtue of needing a new laptop believe me I never would. Could someone please kindly help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for PS Elements 14.x. with Windows 10. Note add the 32 bit regardless if you have 64 bit (i missed that the first time). I also used 4000 in decimal (4 GB on this old girl). Could actually save and edit! Whoop Whoop. Way to go team!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow , abig thank you I have been struggling for weeks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines