• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will PSE 2020 Work With MacOS Big Sur Or Will New Version Be Required?

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replacing my dying Mac soon and expect new system will have the updated MacOS Big Sur operating system installed. Has Photoshop Elements 2020 been tested on this new OS yet? System requirements only list through MacOS version 10.15.  I know that Catalina caused huge problems for existing PSE users (wouldn't run) at launch; any info out there?

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this discussion in the feedback forum and the official answer from Rick Flohr.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/camera-raw-crashes-on-macos-big-spur-beta-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good info from Rikk Flohr, but it seems to focus on crashes when beta testing. I didn't see an answer to the original question (unless I missed it) of "Will PSE 2020 Work With MacOS Big Sur Or Will New Version Be Required?".

I'm about to upgrade to PSE 2020 and was looking for an answer to that question too. Does anyone know if Adobe has does done enough of its own testing to know yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be clear from the link I have posted that no one from Adobe who may know the answer is allowed to give any indication.

As I have no inside information at all and I am not under NDA on the subject I'll take the risk to say that I find it  highly improbable that the next version of PSE which is expected in about one month will be ready for an OS which is still in beta stage. Maybe the next one, in one year?

Anyway, do you really believe Apple will launch a brand new OS which woud be compatible with older software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification. Now I get it. That helps a lot!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the posts, Michel. I'm inclined to agree that Adobe has not given clearance to anyone to discuss this topic yet, which would be an indication to me that the transition will NOT be seamless.

Although this revision to MacOS will not be as significant as the last release, there will surely be some recoding required. Many of my existing apps have already provided updated versions which will be compatible with BigSur, ostensibly to hit the streets ahead of the public beta. Since Adobe had to recompile the Photoshop apps last year to eliminate 32bit components, I posed the question here in the hopes that testing would have been completed early like other developers have done. My 2016 version of MS Office decided to go end of life, for example. The last big update for PSE 2020 was several months ago.

Bill, considering that Adobe continued to sell incompatible copies of PSE 2019 for weeks after MacOS Catalina released, I would hold off on an upgrade to PSE 2020 until the public jury returns a verdict on the production release of BigSur compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines