• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt click delay, eyedropper problem

New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is very much the same as people have already asked YEARS ago like this one: Color picker lag in Photoshop CC These issues remain unanswered as if all are totally indifferent to people having such problems...

The problem is that after installing Windows 10 I noticed a considerable lag in using ALT key for color picking while I'm drawing with a Brush tool. It takes more time than before to take the color (when the color is really changed on the left panel) and that lag is really irritating. If I do it as before, as I usually did (without so much waiting) then the brush tool is activated and I have a brush mark in the place I wanted to take a color sample from! So releasing an ALT key results in un undesirable brush spot that spoils all the work! It slows down the work considerably especially when you a CG artsit and need to blend colors quickly, taking fast color samples from nearby areas, not spotting them with brush spots of the other color!

What I've tried so far to save you time and not give useless advice:

Reinstalled PS

Reinstalled Wacom drivers

Increased performance for PS (decreased History states, increased memory used and added more scratch disks, turned off GPU)

Updated PS through CC

Created PSUserConfig.txt as many forums suggested

Turned off using Windows ink

Disabled press and hold for right clicking as well as using the pen button as a right click equivalent.

Tried PS on my laptop (so as to exclude keyboard problem with ALT pushing), laptop also has Win10

All that didn't help at all...

Please do not say the problem is in my PS and its probable performance, my friend has weaker performance on his PC but he doesn't have this problem.

Please do not write that the problem is on the Windows software side, it probably is but I'm asking for real advice here!

Adobe, will you answer this question this time? Anyone having suggestions on what else can be done? That seems like a curse and a simple delay totally ruins my work and makes working in PS unpleasant to its full...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem, please, we need a fix to this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It's been driving me up the wall since I moved to Win10 from MacOS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly my problem! I can't seem to find a solution.I just got windows 10 and a cintiq pro 24 HD. I keep trying to use the I key but it's infuriating having to switch back to the brush. Would love some feedback on this @Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to solved the lag by disabling windows ink in such a way that keeps your pen pressure. Here's the article i used:

https://sweetmonia.com/Sweet-Drawing-Blog/wacom-tablet-how-to-disable-windows-ink-keep-pressure-sens...

hope this helps you and anyone who reads this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES YES YES!!! You are a lifesaver! 

I wasted an entire workday trying to figure out this issue, it was windows ink indeed!! I was suspecting it but I couldn't afford losing pen pressure sensitivity, man it turned out so simple!! THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I had a bit different problem, but this method solved that one too.

My problem was when I picked a color with 'Alt', my active brush reseted and did not recognise pressure sensitivity for a few strokes, then it switched back.

So thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and can't use the script solution below as it's out of date. Please answer us Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the tool, it still works with 2022 versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem as well. I use an XP-Pen deco 01 and in it's settings panel I have windows ink disabled. The only solution I can think of is to hold down I, sample a color, and release but this is pretty cumbersome. This makes it really frustrating to paint with PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I fixed it based on one of the fixes posted in here, but WTF?? HOW IS THIS EVEN PROBLEM?? Is it Wacom or Microsoft at fault? This negatively impacts anyone who uses photoshop in a massive way, especially digital painters like me. I realize this has been a problem for years which just boggles my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still need a fix for this Adobe, this is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alright this is what finally fixced it for me:  I have to run appistant every time I run phosotshop, and also I have to disable 'press and hold for right clicking' under the flicks menu (windows 11).  Now picking colors is snappy and lag free. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: Mandryk is right.  His solution works for Windows 10/11.  But we shouldn't have to run some shady Chinese config file everytime we open Photoshop.  PLEASE FIX, ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe we really do need a fix for this.  I thought it was my PC, so I bought a new one.  (The old one only had 32gb of Ram and a 1080 GPU)  The new one has 64mb of Ram and a 2080.  Still has color picker lag.  Brutal.  Plagues my workday.  Everyday.  Please fix Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump - we still need a fix for this. Happening on windows 11, PS23.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Alt lag problem after installing win11.

We need full control for keyboard shortcuts, this hardcoded stuff is insane and makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the alt lag after installing win11 as well, I seem to have fixed it for now. 

I updated my wacom tablet drivers, I use a cintiq 22. Then I went into Wacom Tablet Properties and unchecked 'use windows ink' which is under the Calibrate tab, for anyone using the same tablet.

Luckily I was able to get it to work again, but still the fact that alt is hardcoded to toggle the menu hotkeys is really annoying because i'll be in the flow of things and i'll accidentally hit alt and all of the sudden I'm in the file dropdown or whatever. I understand the utility of this but it would be really nice to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried with windows ink off but then PS decides pressure sensitiviuy isn't a thing.  I don't understand after all these years why PS and wacom just can't play nice together.  It's like a boat constantly plugging leaks only to have more spring up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Disabling Windows Ink disables pressure sensetivity in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I spoke too soon, thanks for making me realize. The project I'm working on right now is low rez pixel graphics that I'm using the pencil tool for so I didn't even realize my pressure sensitivity wasn't working. I guess I'll have to redownload that appsistant thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DON'T USE APSSISTANT. I've been using it for quite a while, Rkill noticed it was malware, it's really pesky and it digs deep. I can't say I have another fix, someone mentioned a shortcut handler / disabler in another post, but the delay and dropdown-menu-issue persists. This is written on 25/01/2022 and I've seen results from like 2013 about this issue. Can't imagine why paint-related core-stuff gets such little love :^)  
Anywho's, stay away from Apsisstant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,

This daley in the color picker drove me crazy,  so I contacted Adobe, as I was explaning the problem to the guy in the support chat, he asked me to share screen and give him remote acces, for that he asked me to close all personal files.

so did close google chrome witch i have a few windows open.

As i started to show him the problem,  .... there was no more Delay in the color picker when press the ALT key.

it worked fine , super fast  picking color with no lag at all.

so I apologized, I told him the 5 minutes ago  the problem was there, and din't know what happend.

Today the daley was back...

so checked what sofwhare i had open at the same time as photoshop.... Zbrush and a bunch of Chrome tabs.

I stared closing one by one and checking if the delay was there.. until... I close a youtube video.. DELAY GONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive tried closing all other windows it doesn't do anything.  From what I can tell it's because ALT is also calling the top menu bar and there'sno way to stop that behaviour...other than appassistant - which works, but the reports of it being malware is concerning.   Best fix would be for adobe to just make an option where ALT does not invoke the top menu options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the love of art, please fix this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines