Alt click delay, eyedropper problem

New Here ,
May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is very much the same as people have already asked YEARS ago like this one: Color picker lag in Photoshop CC These issues remain unanswered as if all are totally indifferent to people having such problems...

The problem is that after installing Windows 10 I noticed a considerable lag in using ALT key for color picking while I'm drawing with a Brush tool. It takes more time than before to take the color (when the color is really changed on the left panel) and that lag is really irritating. If I do it as before, as I usually did (without so much waiting) then the brush tool is activated and I have a brush mark in the place I wanted to take a color sample from! So releasing an ALT key results in un undesirable brush spot that spoils all the work! It slows down the work considerably especially when you a CG artsit and need to blend colors quickly, taking fast color samples from nearby areas, not spotting them with brush spots of the other color!

What I've tried so far to save you time and not give useless advice:

Reinstalled PS

Reinstalled Wacom drivers

Increased performance for PS (decreased History states, increased memory used and added more scratch disks, turned off GPU)

Updated PS through CC

Created PSUserConfig.txt as many forums suggested

Turned off using Windows ink

Disabled press and hold for right clicking as well as using the pen button as a right click equivalent.

Tried PS on my laptop (so as to exclude keyboard problem with ALT pushing), laptop also has Win10

All that didn't help at all...

Please do not say the problem is in my PS and its probable performance, my friend has weaker performance on his PC but he doesn't have this problem.

Please do not write that the problem is on the Windows software side, it probably is but I'm asking for real advice here!

Adobe, will you answer this question this time? Anyone having suggestions on what else can be done? That seems like a curse and a simple delay totally ruins my work and makes working in PS unpleasant to its full...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Alt click delay, eyedropper problem

New Here ,
May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is very much the same as people have already asked YEARS ago like this one: Color picker lag in Photoshop CC These issues remain unanswered as if all are totally indifferent to people having such problems...

The problem is that after installing Windows 10 I noticed a considerable lag in using ALT key for color picking while I'm drawing with a Brush tool. It takes more time than before to take the color (when the color is really changed on the left panel) and that lag is really irritating. If I do it as before, as I usually did (without so much waiting) then the brush tool is activated and I have a brush mark in the place I wanted to take a color sample from! So releasing an ALT key results in un undesirable brush spot that spoils all the work! It slows down the work considerably especially when you a CG artsit and need to blend colors quickly, taking fast color samples from nearby areas, not spotting them with brush spots of the other color!

What I've tried so far to save you time and not give useless advice:

Reinstalled PS

Reinstalled Wacom drivers

Increased performance for PS (decreased History states, increased memory used and added more scratch disks, turned off GPU)

Updated PS through CC

Created PSUserConfig.txt as many forums suggested

Turned off using Windows ink

Disabled press and hold for right clicking as well as using the pen button as a right click equivalent.

Tried PS on my laptop (so as to exclude keyboard problem with ALT pushing), laptop also has Win10

All that didn't help at all...

Please do not say the problem is in my PS and its probable performance, my friend has weaker performance on his PC but he doesn't have this problem.

Please do not write that the problem is on the Windows software side, it probably is but I'm asking for real advice here!

Adobe, will you answer this question this time? Anyone having suggestions on what else can be done? That seems like a curse and a simple delay totally ruins my work and makes working in PS unpleasant to its full...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 26, 2019 3
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem, please, we need a fix to this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: FOUND SOLUTION 

The Fix: 

https://github.com/millionart/Apssistant/releases       

or find it here:

https://www.deviantart.com/millionart/art/Adobe-Photoshop-assistant-160950828 

This is a tool that you can run at the same time as PS and it fixes a tonne of little errors, scanned free of viruses 22/01/20 (despite the site looking mildly dodgy!) 

The lag is caused as ALT is the menu key for Windows accessibility, so it takes a fraction of a second to wait for the next menu command, you'll see the topbar highlighted when it does this. 

To see if this is your issue, try hitting alt very fast with your mouse on brush mode, if the colour picker doesn't keep in time, this is your lag issue. Hope its helpful, share it around if it is  🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same problem- done all the same steps as above too. Found something interesting though:

When pressing alt for the eyedropper, the top toolbar gets underscores and 'File' is highlighted, and this is only disabled after you press ALT again. Using just the eyedropper tool with 'I' doesnt do this of course, and I've found has no lag. 

My theory is that pressing alt, since its a function command, is causing a slight delay as the ALT mode affects most tools, or perhaps the program is preparing for a keyboard command using the top toolbar. Just a working theory, now I'm trying to find if I can use 'I' as a press and hold command rather than toggle so I can use it in the same way as ALT. 

Would love to see an actual solution to this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 3
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly my problem! I can't seem to find a solution.I just got windows 10 and a cintiq pro 24 HD. I keep trying to use the I key but it's infuriating having to switch back to the brush. Would love some feedback on this @Adobe!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to solved the lag by disabling windows ink in such a way that keeps your pen pressure. Here's the article i used:

https://sweetmonia.com/Sweet-Drawing-Blog/wacom-tablet-how-to-disable-windows-ink-keep-pressure-sens...

hope this helps you and anyone who reads this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 4
iyadart LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES YES YES!!! You are a lifesaver! 

I wasted an entire workday trying to figure out this issue, it was windows ink indeed!! I was suspecting it but I couldn't afford losing pen pressure sensitivity, man it turned out so simple!! THANK YOU!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 1