Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Pencil is not working with photoshop for ipad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Would you mind confirming the iPad and Apple Pencil version you are using? Also, is the application not registering any input using the Apple pencil or are you facing issues using the Apple pencil while using a brush/sketching?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Apple Pencil 2 and the 2018 iPad Pro iOS version 13.1.3. I can use the pencil to choose something in the toolbar a brush etc. but it does not register if I try and use that tool. Apple Pencil is working fine in all other apps. Procreate Pixelmator etc. As suggested I deleted the app and re-downloaded that has not solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I'm using the Apple Pencil 2 and the 2018 iPad Pro iOS version.

I can use the pencil to choose something in the toolbar like a brush etc. I can also use the Apple Pencil with the  lasso  tool to select things, but it does not register if I try and use the brush, nothing happens, I can touch the screen with my finger And apply the brush tool but it just won't respond to the Apple Pencil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Apple Pencil v1 and it works great on my standard IPad, it is even pressure sensitive. I wonder what the difference is?

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the same issue rises up when I am using Photoshop for iMac with an iPad Pro 2020 via screen sharing (Sidecar). The computer mouse works well with photoshop brush, but the apple pencil 2 is useful just for selecting tools. It doesn't extend to the pixel size of the selected brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the new iMac to run Photoshop and using apple Sidecar to connect it to my 12.9 inch ipad pro 2020. Everything seems to work fine appart from the Brush tool. The line that I paint is very small even if I enlarge the brush size to a really large amount. Changing the brush doesnt help- they all just stay the same tiny size. I have also tried turning pressure sensitivity on and off. 

In the image below you can see that my brush size is 476  however the lines that I draw with the apple pencil are very small. When switching to use my mouse the size works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluetooth on? Pencil is paired and works with other apps? If so, try deleting PS for iPad and re-downloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are running into issues with Brush use with the pencil, is the issue with all brushes or only some of the preset brushes? If only with certain brushes does pressing harder with the pencil get marks made? We have had reports from a few users that pencil sensitivity is not soft enough. We are hoping to address this in a future release. Can folks running into problem go to preferences, enable Touch indicator in the Input section and make a screen recording of the issue you are seeing. (if unsure how to do a screen recording see https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-recording-ipad08a40f3b/ipados)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering the second issue you describe above where in order to get a strroke to show up, I have to press down with a LOT of pressure (It feels like I am going to break my iPad/apple pencil!)...do you know if this issue has been resolved or will be resolved soon? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on pencil sensitivity and hope to have the changes available soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution yet?

I have to press down with a lot of pressure to get anything, Its not workable.

I would be great to have a solution.

It's the Apple pencil 2 using sidecar and a brush in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M Shaw,

Looks like this was a year ago, but I'm still having this problem. iPad Mini + Apple pencil 1st gen. The pencil is charged. Pencil can select tools, toggle menus, and even use selection tool. Can select brushes and eraser, but can't actually use them.

Per your request, I've screen capped a demo for you. Please help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BETTER VIDEO: Here's a demo of the bug with Touch indicator turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try an uninstall and reinstall of the application. That should also get you the brushes back that are missing in the brush preset list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not affect most of the users here, but my iPad pencil stopped working and I was trying to find out why online. I did a simple restart of the app and it worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me. Restarted the app and the brush started working again! /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old post, but still an issue. Tried all the recommended adjustments (restart iPad, restart Photoshop, uninstall and reinstall Pshop), but nothing worked. What I did find strange was that while my pencil worked in Fresco, Illustrator and Procreate, it was listed in my Blutooth queue as not connected after going back to Pshop. 'Forgot Device' and reconnected it and that finally worked. Hope this helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try twisting the pencil head on a little tighter. I had the same problem and this was the solution that worked for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I also had the same problem, but it seems like in my situation it is fixed.

So, I kept changing my colour of the brush to black, and my apple pencil keeps not drawing anything

Then, there is the "main colour" button (shown in image) which I changed it to black afterwards and my apple pencil started drawing again - turns out it is a colour issue.

IMG_2806.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines