• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush tool and Masking

Participant ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is any one having issues with the brush tool and masking?  I can create a mask using select and fill tools but if I want refine the mask by selecting the brush tool and painting white or black I'm having issues.  Simply it doesn't paint on the black or white while the mask is selected.  I have tried a blank mask and just tried painting black and nothing happens.  I can go to the main layer and paint any color I want so the brush is "working".  

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Check the Brush blend mode from the ellipsis (...) menu on the tool options. Make sure it is not set to behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the most up to date version of Photoshop on the iPad? If the layer you wish to mask is active, tap the layer mask icon on the taskbar, it should switch the layer view to the mask. When you select the brush icon and choose the black for a color and an appropriately sized brush, you should be able to draw on the screen to mask out sections with the brush.

You should also be able to use "select subject" or any other selection tool and then tap mask to get a starting point, and then go in and edit the mask with the brush tool. Are you finding that both of these options are not working as described on your iPad?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/select-mask-on-ipad.html

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the brush tool is having a ton of problems on my device.  It doens't work half the time in just the regular brush mode and it doesn't seem to want to work at all in the mask mode.  I have been able to reproduce the issue multiple times. I'm trying to record a video of it so someone can actuall see what is (or isn't happening).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of some of the brush characteristics I'm stuggling with.  The brush tool is simply NOT working in creating masks.  Also the normal brush tool has some issues when dealing with inserted images or a filled layer.  If you attempt to draw on the actual layer it doesn't show up but in testing I really think it is just painting BEHIND the filled layer.  It does not act this way on the desktop version.  I have attached a video (no sound) that shows my issues.  Sorry it is a bit long.  https://youtu.be/TZ5a4Yw6rVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you for the in depth video explaining the issue you are having. I will try to reproduce the issue and forward this to our engineering team to investigate. Is this an intermittent problem or has it happened every time with this version?

Can you please tap on settings (the gear icon) when you open the app and tap on "about" to check what version you are using and let me know? Also, what version of iPad OS are you using?

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Brush blend mode from the ellipsis (...) menu on the tool options. Make sure it is not set to behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a dummy.  Didn't noticed I changed the blend mode on the brush.   Also I'm so sorry I missed these questions before,  My email was kicking the notifications to a part of my Inbox I was not paying attention to.  

thanks!  

scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that Mike's suggestion worked for you!

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When picking the paint color are you just tapping on the black swatch on the background color? Paint applies with the foreground color. To switch between black and white you can swipe on the color chips to swap them or on a mask you could use the touch shortcut to erase with th current tool which would use the background color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue... so when I put a layer mask I selected the color black. But when I colored it changed it to grey and it keeps getting lighter. I'll send a picture...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have the brush blend mode set to overlay. Try setting to Normal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately having same issues when refining a Mask using Brush Tool on a Ps v22.2 all up to date Desktop.

I've triple checked that Mode is Normal, all Opacity/Flow  =100%, etc etc.... even shut it all down and restarted. Still happening. See screenshot of where the red box shows darker halo outlining subject and blue oval shows lighter/faded skin color of subject -->both from trying to Blk-or-Wht Brush in the Layer Mask.

Any other insights as to what I'm doing wrong or is a potential bug?? Thanks! -Tracey

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.54.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines