• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Copy/Paste layer mask in Photoshop for iPad?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to copy a layer mask from one layer to another? I assume this is possible as there is a "Copy Mask" option in the 3-dot menu but creating an adjustment layer and going back into the menu shows "Paste" which pastes a copy of the entire original layer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I just ran across this:

"By default, a layer or group is linked to its layer mask. To break the link between a layer and a mask, tap (icon).This allows you to move the layer image and the mask independent of one another." but the functionality is the same whether the layer and mask are linked or not.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

To copy a layer mask, select the mask and then go to the 3-Dot menu and select the Copy Mask option. Then go to the layer you wish to paste the mask on, select the 3-dot menu again and select paste.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

I assumed that would be the process as well but those exact steps create a duplicate of the entire layer (mask included) and add it to the top of the layers panel. I have tried this with the "Lock Mask" both toggled on and off, as well as having the adjustment layer created before copying the mask and creating it afterwards.

In all instances it just duplicates the layer and mask to a new layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you're all very busy today but as this is not a upcoming feature but one purported to be included in the app I'd really appreciate if you could tell me whether this is a bug, identified or otherwise, or if there's an issue with the process. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey New2DSLR,

No matter what I try, I have the same issues as you for pasting into layer masks. I was really trying to find a work around, and I’m really stumped. 

Luckily I only needed to paste a solid shape into my mask, so I just used “load selection” and then painted into the selection on the mask. But that felt very clunky and inefficient. I’m hoping for a fix or a more intuitive alternative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this as a work around:

Go to the layer mask you want to duplicate. Tap on the 3 tots on the right and then Load as selection.  Go to the layer that you want to copy the layer mask to, tap on the mask icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply can't smile this work, I use it constantly on my

desktop, hold alt or option and drag the mask where I want 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*Make this work
i can't smile since it started either 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines