• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to import raw files on mobile

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t import a simple Nikon Raw (.nef) file into photoshop iPad. The foto is on my iPad I can open it from files app but photoshop is not able to import!!!!!

Idea Released Locked
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

You can now import raw files directly into Photoshop on iPad, without needing to go through the Lightroom app. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/camera-raw-file-support-ipad.html

Enjoy!

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Importing of raw files is now available via the Lightroom iPad App.  Please see https://blogs.adobe.com/creative/june-2020-photography-releases/ for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed last night after launch, attempted to import CR2 to photoshop' on ipad, for each attempted import, error message cannot import on ipad  'Filename...' cannot be imported, red flag

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Raw file import is not supported on Photoshop fo iPad as of now. You may suggtest this feature here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_mobile

This forum is directly monitored by our developer, they might look into it for future updates.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For real?  Existing Lightroom on iPad supports raw import - what's the rationale for a lesser feature (ability for drawing not photo editing?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I hate to see anyone else run into this problem it's kind of reassuring it's not just me. Fuji's RAF files receive delayed support usually so I didn't think much of it but if you can't import Canon files then maybe there's hope. Certainly that's too big a usergroup to not garner eventual support. 

I did find that converting to DNG seemed to work to get images into Photoshop, if that's any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new PS does not import uncompressed Fujifilm RAWs from IPad Pro : Wrong Format! ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've moved your post to the Photoshop for Mobile forum

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same thing but it's not just us; there's a Canon user who has reported the same issue with their CR2 files. Adobe says Raw files aren't supported...

I did find that converting to DNG allowed me to import them but that's not a step I want to have to add to my workflow so hopefully support is added soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to convert it to DNG on the iPad?  Astonished I can't open camera RAW directly in Photoshop for iPad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. I had my laptop handy and just did it there (which, of course, defeats the purpose of a mobile workflow solution). 

I have to assume that Adobe is more than well aware of this (and so many other glaring omissions/bugs) because they've grown extremely quiet over the last few hours aside from the posts where they've had to move new posts and comments to this forum. I assume they'll be in triage mode for a while. 

It does seem odd though, doesn't it? The state of this release? What is Photoshop without Camera Raw, functional layer masks and curves adjustments? It's Snapseed with a monthly subscription. 

Good luck to them. In 48 hours I'm afraid these forums will be a dumpster fire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom for iPad handles RAW so it's very odd that not be available on Photoshop for iPad.  I can't even shuttle a RAW import in Lightroom for iPad to Photoshop for iPad, nor can I export it as a DNG or TIFF then import it.  Right now I can only export a RAW as a JPG from Lightroom ipad then bring that into Photoshop for iPad which is a huge demerit.  Hopefully it will be added soon as it completely undermines the brand.  Also the creative cloud drive isn't even viewable from Photoshop iPad it's using a completely different platform, Cloud Documents.  All very strange for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

I will mention, though, that I just got the newest Photoshop (2020) installed on my Mac and there are some things that give me hope.

If you aren't in a place to load it up yet, the Home screen looks almost exactly like the Home screen on iPad but under the "Your Work" section, where (my) iPad shows Cloud Documents and Deleted, the desktop version shows Lightroom Photos, Cloud Documents, and Deleted. 

I'm going to hope that's a good sign.

Also, the new Object Selection Tool is ridiculously cool. Doesn't help us with mobile, but at least it assures me that there are still teams at Adobe that know what's up. Here's to hoping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems they're separating out functions—Photoshop on the iPad does simple compositing (many layers, but still only simple functions to build them). Lightroom in the Cloud is apparently meant to be the stopgap for photo editing until they can build out those features. Fresco is for painting and drawing—until they can give us our brushes and other presets.

It's not the "full" Photoshop, but the "real" Photoshop. Here's hoping that having built the foundations for the "real" Photoshop, we see the bulk of the missing features arrive quickly over the course of this next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you but I understand it is not that simple. Opening a camera RAW would require ACR engine.

The solution I have right now is to edit my RAW file in Lightroom which is basically like PS ACR exported to a stand alone software, then after editing in Lightroom go to Share icon > Open In > Copy to Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I doing something wrong or are .dng raw file not supported on the iPad Pro yet?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Raw file import is not supported on Photoshop fo iPad as of now. You may suggtest this feature here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_mobile

This forum is directly monitored by our developer, they might look into it for future updates.

Regards,
Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to get an error stating DNG files were not supported in Photoshop for iPad.  That seems too big a deal to be accurate.  Do I need to install another app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I tried importing a DNG file (Pentax RAW) and got an unsupported file format error message...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS for Mobile supports only a variety of PSD file. Here's how to get a photo from your desktop machine into PS Mobile: Go to the desktop machine, open the file in Photoshop CC 2020, and Save As… to cloud documents. Now you may edit the photo in PS Mobile. It auto-saves back into the document cloud (which is not part of Creative Cloud). If you want to move the edited file into Lr Classic, open the file from the document cloud in PS CC on the desktop. Save to local disk, then import into Lr Classic. Or you may download the file from your document cloud files to your desktop machine by logging in at assets.adobe.com.

This is, of course insane. PS CC on the desktop needs to be out of the loop. PS Mobile needs to be able to browse one's Lr Classic files from a remote location by filename or keyword, download to PS for Mobile for editing, then re-write them back into Lr Classic. Otherwise, to have one's Lightroom photos available on the road one might as well just carry a MacBook Pro and leave the iPad at home, in which case one doesn't need PS Mobile at all. Or—and this may be what it’s really about—pay a small fortune for sufficient cloud space to hold your Lr Classic collection at full-resolution in Adobe Lightroom (the cloud version).

Even then, as it stands, one wouldn't be finished. PS Mobile can't access Lr Mobile files. Save the full-res file to the iPadOS Photos App and then import to Photoshop for Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, David. I just deleted PS from my iPad. This is not at all what I had in mind when I purchased the iPad because it would "soon" accommodate "Real" PS. Not even close to my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is "Real Photoshop for the iPad"?  Not even close.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job guys. The way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using iPad pro2018 with the new iPad photoshop app. iOS version  13.2. 

Cannot import photos from iPad camera roll photo app.  Photographs were taken with a canon camera and are CR2 format. Screenshots below. 
The only way I can get past this problem, is to select the photograph file and then export it to the iPad or iCloud. This does something to the format which Photoshop will then read. That seems like an unnecessary step

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 21.44.02.png

Photos that were screenshots can be imported. 
Photoshop has access to the camera and to the camera roll. Version info below 

Thanks

C8002148-4AA4-4883-8674-F176A8240ABE.png

A68B7B0D-A76C-4358-BACD-9EE19F5FFABF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom for iOS can do it then photoshop for iOS should also be able. Adobe just dropped the ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate