Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Photoshop Mix open a .psd file?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I´m thinking about buying an IOS device (iPad Pro) and use the Photoshop Mix for my work. I´m looking for an app to easily cut from images of the products that i sold, and then work with this image on an existing .psd file .

I love the way that Photoshop Mix cut the images, when I saw videos about it.

I have now an important question for me: I need to kow if, with this app, I will have the possibility to open a previusly created .psd file, and then insert here the new cutted image created on Mix.

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry about my poor english! I hope you can understand me in spite of this!

Sergio

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Hi Sergio!

Thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the delayed response! Yes, you certainly can open a .PSD file in Mix and work with its layers. There are a couple of ways you could go about this. You can send the image to Mix via Creative Cloud, cut out your image and then composite it on top of a .PSD within Mix. To get the .PSD into Mix you need to have Creative sync enabled (a Creative Cloud subscription) and save the .PSD into your Creative Cloud sync folder (probably on your desktop). Fro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergio!

Thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the delayed response! Yes, you certainly can open a .PSD file in Mix and work with its layers. There are a couple of ways you could go about this. You can send the image to Mix via Creative Cloud, cut out your image and then composite it on top of a .PSD within Mix. To get the .PSD into Mix you need to have Creative sync enabled (a Creative Cloud subscription) and save the .PSD into your Creative Cloud sync folder (probably on your desktop). From there you can bring it into Mix (Tap the + for a new composition, select Creative Cloud and navigate to your PSD file). Or, you can cut out your image and send it to the desktop version of Photoshop CC (you also need a Creative Cloud subscription). From here you can composite your new image on top of your .PSD within the full version of PS.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kathleen, but let's get real here. So, I have just invested in an iPad Pro and have started getting familiar with Adobe on iOS.

Firstly, let me respond to the topic at hand: someone emailed me a PSD and then iOS will not let me save the file to CreativeSync on iPad's Mail. You have to pull out the old laptop and do it. It would be nice to save it to CreativeSync, iCloud Drive, or even dropbox, or even simply open it with Photoshop Mix or Sketch (which then does the saving)? Why is this integration still, strangely, not a possibility?

I am looking forward to further developments with iOS and Adobe (like full versions of Adobe software on iPad Pro).

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jon!

That's a great point. Please share this feature request with the team by tapping "Give us Feedback" within the main app menu of Mix (tap the Mix icon while you're in project view).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and please post again!

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldnt get this to work on my iPad. I was able to link my Dropbox account to both PS Mix and PS Express but the .psd files weren't available for opening in either of those Abobe products.

However, Pixelmator was able to open .psd layered files I sent to Dropbox, retaining layers!

Success!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have psd files that I'm trying to open on my new iPad Pro. Mine are all in my one drive cloud; I no longer have my laptop so saved everything in there hoping to be able to open them using photoshop mix etc?? Not happening! But I will try Pixelmator, !

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem & I have PS express, Mix, Fix, IDraw, creative cloud & comp cc. Looks like I will have to go back to Desktop too. Not liking all these mobile apps. Too many & who want to take the time to go through so many.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried pixelmator and yes! It opened my psd files from onedrive but did not retain the layers. . . .arrghhh!!! I would love to know why it did for you? I opened them from the onedrive app and used the option to 'copy to pixelmator' - the copy action is probably why its opening as a flat image. . .there is no way of opening them directly through pixelmator. Did you open thru this app or from dropbox? Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I saved my layered .psd file to Dropbox from Procreate, which will save to .psd but not open a .psd file (grr).

So when I opened Pixelmator, I tapped the + in the gallery screen, then tapped iCloud Drive, Locations, then Dropbox. I tapped the .psd from my Dropbox folder. It downloaded the file and opened with all the layers intact.

Let me me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll do some more experimenting

EDIT:  I just did it with Onedrive too. Open the file while inside Pixelmator directly from Locations (as above) instead of using the Copy To method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing that! I've spent the morning on my mums laptop saving my psd files to creative cloud - this finally worked when I opened them in photomix. I would rather open them in procreate though, as in photomix it was still a bit long-winded.

ill try in procreate again and try pulling them from one drive (don't think I could find the option last time)

many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the Pix suggestion. You are awesome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines