• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100% disk usage in Task Manager when using Photoshop CC (Windows 8.1 - 64 bit)

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been using Adobe CC for a month or two now. I own an Asus laptop with Intel i7 (2.4 GHz), 6 GB RAM, 1 TB hard disk space and 64 bit, nearly 6 months old. Following apps are currently installed: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Audition, Acrobat XI Pro, Premiere Pro and Media Encoder. I recently performed an update through Adobe CC for Photoshop and Illustrator, all others are up-to-date.

I believe, but I may be wrong, that since this update Photoshop is acting weird on my laptop. When I start Photoshop, my task manager immediately indicates a 100% rate of my disk usage. This seems to wield off after it is fully operational, but when I start to edit a file, the disk usage immediately jumps back to 100%, while the CPU remains below 10%, RAM stays at 3.5-3.8 GB (only 60% of total capacity) and even the actual read and write speeds of my HDD are not particularly high (5 - 10MB max). And because of the 100% disk usage, Photoshop freezes in an instant and operating it is nearly impossible.

I already uninstalled Photoshop, went over all services that could trigger this within Windows 8.1 (Google-search for: Windows 8.1 disk usage 100%) , re-installed Photoshop and I still have the same problem.

So, I was wondering if there might be a solution to this problem or if anybody else is having this problem as well?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: This error applies only when I try to manipulate, add, edit or remove text. All other functions (not related to text) seem to work properly.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Check out this help file: Troubleshoot fonts | Photoshop CC 2014, CC, CS6, CS5

You could also try resetting Photoshop's preferences and increasing the amount of available ram to Photoshop, if the troubleshooting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if it's text only then the obvious answer/ assumption would be that you have a gigazillion fonts and PS is busy building previews for them plus Windows' own font cache might figure in as well. Only weeding out things can then improve matters....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of 2 or 3 extra fonts that I installed in the past, but that should be it. I tried to manipulate text in InDesign and Illustrator as well, fortunately both programs seem to work without any kind of problem...

Anything I can find out about the font cache of Windows just to be sure?

Thank you already for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed both the font cache of Windows and those from Adobe, restarted my laptop and opened PS. The moment I select a text field, the disk usage immediately explodes to 100% and PS freezes at the same instant. I'm at the edge of opening a window right now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this help file: Troubleshoot fonts | Photoshop CC 2014, CC, CS6, CS5

You could also try resetting Photoshop's preferences and increasing the amount of available ram to Photoshop, if the troubleshooting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed the font cache on several locations (within adobe folders, as well as Windows), restarted my portable and for the moment the problem is fixed.

Pretty happy about that! Thank you very much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Glad it's working and I hope it keeps on working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you, by any chance, know something about Windows 8 and "Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted)", I would start a new religion with your name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I've been through both links (and more) during the weekend, but still still no progress... Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I figured you had already been Googling it lol

Sorry I couldn't be more help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem! You've been more than helpful enough with my other problem!

Until we meet again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, I'm new to photoshop and I'm having the same error (the one where it uses up 100% disk space) and have no idea what you're talking about, could I get some help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try looking in task manager for JavaScript node. Js I found my Photoshop crashing almost immediately on a gaming laptop with a 6 core processor and 16 gigs of ram with that process running 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines