Highlighted

100% vs Print Size vs Actual size : something stays unclear

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all, 

When the year starts, I used to teach my students how to properly preview a photoshop document :

- that will be used on screen (View > 100%)

- that will be printed (View > Print size)

I also teach them how to properly set Preferences > Units and Rulers > Screen resolution, to their screen ppi, in order to get accurate display size of their printed document on their own screen.

But then I see that function I never noticed before View > Actual size.

My question is simple : What is it for ?

To that day, Help webpages, Forums, and online experts chat ("not trained for this")  were not able to answer that question.

My question is not just out of curiosity. Because on some of my students Macs, the View>Print size setting does not give accurate display after proper ppi setting in preferences, but View>Actual size does.

Why ?

All the best,

M

Topics

FAQ, How to, Mac, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

100% vs Print Size vs Actual size : something stays unclear

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all, 

When the year starts, I used to teach my students how to properly preview a photoshop document :

- that will be used on screen (View > 100%)

- that will be printed (View > Print size)

I also teach them how to properly set Preferences > Units and Rulers > Screen resolution, to their screen ppi, in order to get accurate display size of their printed document on their own screen.

But then I see that function I never noticed before View > Actual size.

My question is simple : What is it for ?

To that day, Help webpages, Forums, and online experts chat ("not trained for this")  were not able to answer that question.

My question is not just out of curiosity. Because on some of my students Macs, the View>Print size setting does not give accurate display after proper ppi setting in preferences, but View>Actual size does.

Why ?

All the best,

M

Topics

FAQ, How to, Mac, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
rob day LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actual Size considers your main monitor’s resolution and displays actual dimensions—if you show rulers and take a physical measurement 1" will equal 1".

Print Size uses your Preferences>Units & Rulers>Screen Resolution setting. If that setting is the same as your main monitor’s resolution, Actual Size and Print Size should be the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines