19.1.1 Camera Raw incompatible

So updated from 18 back to 19.1.1 after hearing the pen tool crash was fixed.  Now the camera raw filter doesn't work.  Says incompatible with this version of Photoshop?  Is an update for that pending or have I missed something?

Seriously fed up of switching versions right now, one thing fixed, another problem introduced.  CC is turning into a disaster right now

Adobe Community Professional
Correct Answer by Jeff_Arola | Adobe Community Professional

Adobe just released a 10.2.1 camera raw for windows to fix this bug.

You can get the 10.2.1 camera raw installer from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-not-compatible-this-version-photoshop.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: 19.1.1 Camera Raw incompatible

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 13, 2018

Hmmm... same here

Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Did you guys update to Camera Raw 10.2 that has just been released?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Screenshot_1.png
appears so

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

snap!Screenshot_2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I can open .CR2 files to ACR and open them in Photoshop. I am then able to use Camera RAW filter on the background layer, and also a copy of the background layer and any other layers I create.  In fact I am then able to create a new document, and use Camera RAW on all layers in that document.  But if I restart Photoshop, and create a new document and give it some content, it's back to this

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I don't seem to be able to open RAW files from within an already open Photoshop, but I can 'Open With' from File Explorer, and Camera RAW then works OK until I restart Photoshop.  Then it's back to this

'

OK a small change now.  I can now open that previously opened .CR2 file from the Start workspace, and like before, new documents then behave OK.  But here again, if I open Photoshop and start a new document, I get the error message with Camera RAW.

I'm done for today, so hope to see some answers in the morning (for me).  Let's get some more bug hunters on the case 🙂

JJMack

Terri Stevens

davescm

Good luck.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Most Valued Participant , Feb 13, 2018

I have 2 1600x1200 displays and a 4K display Windows 10 CC  2018 19.1.1 ACR seems fine on my 4K Display

ACR.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I get the same error with windows 10 and 19.1.1 and camera raw 10.2, but not on the mac side running macOS 10.11.6, photoshop 19.1.1 and camera raw 10.2.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have no issue with ACR, latest version.

Jeff, what steps to you take to get the error?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Basically if i open an camera raw file just after starting photoshop, then the camera raw filter works fine, but if i just open photoshop and open a normal file like a jpeg (non raw file without going through camera raw) then the camera raw filter produces that error and then even actual camera raw files no longer open using File>Open.

4 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Same solution TNX

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Strange I've tried everything and still can't get the error to show

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

There is something strange here.

Before I downloaded anything - the CC desktop app said there were updates available to Photoshop and Camera Raw.

I checked the versions before downloading anything. Photoshop was at 19.1.0 and camera raw was at 10.2.0.894.

I updated Photoshop to 19.1.1 and the update camera raw notification had gone. However Camera Raw had not been updated. It is still at 10.2.0.894 and the Camera Raw .8bi file is still the file I installed in January.  It seems to work without issues. I wonder if the ACR update has been pulled?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It is strange

If you look at this thread same ACR error for the OP and they have same version as me.

camera raw error after update

I just can't reproduce the error that others are getting, I assume yours is working fine the same as mine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ged, are you back from your trip?  Have you heard from Caroline?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Trevor

Yep just arrived back on Sunday, no haven't heard from Caroline

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ged2016  wrote

If you look at this thread same ACR error for the OP and they have same version as me.

I just can't reproduce the error that others are getting, I assume yours is working fine the same as mine

Yes - working without issues here. Has anyone with the issue tried a preference reset?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

davescm  schrieb

ged2016   wrote

Yes - working without issues here. Has anyone with the issue tried a preference reset?

Dave

the only time the filter wokrs is when i first load a RAW file.... when the camera raw dialog has opend once i can use the filter during a photoshop session.

but when i open photoshop, load a file and then want to use the camera raw filter i get the same error as the others.

adobe at it´s best again.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi

I cannot reproduce that here. Have you tried a preference reset?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

davescm  schrieb

Hi

I cannot reproduce that here. Have you tried a preference reset?

Dave

yes.... does not help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

davescm​ also tried here, and does not fix either, only opening & closing preferences for camera raw filter on start with no file open allows me to use it for that session

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ok strange, its now working... (for now)

All I did was go into preferences > camera raw filter, changed no settings, closed it and now its working?

Screenshot_1.jpg

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jonny+Shaw  schrieb

ok strange, its now working... (for now)

All I did was go into preferences > camera raw filter, changed no settings, closed it and now its working?

Screenshot_1.jpg

start photoshop again.. will not work than (at least here).

like with my "load raw files first" it only works for ONE session. once you closed PS you have to go to the camera preferences AGAIN first, then you can use the filter during a session.

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ok narrowed this down I think.  I restarted Photoshop after it was working, opened the same file and tried directly opening camera raw filter again with ctrl shift a on a layer - same happens with selecting via the filter menus - the error was back.  Also then going to preferences > camera raw filter would produce the error...

however restarted again, and before opening the file went to preferences > camera raw filter, dialog opens, closed it, opened the file again and works

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What's the version date for Camera Raw.8bi

Location here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

This is what I have

Untitled2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ged2016  schrieb

What's the version date for Camera Raw.8bi

Location here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

This is what I have

Untitled2.jpg

i have the same (25.01.2018 12.01 but i guess that is a wintertime/summertime issue)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Ged

I actually have two versions of the ACR .8bi file - both show the same date - but with two different file sizes:

The first here:

The second here :

I wonder if that has an impact on us not seeing the issue.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Dave

I have exactly the same as you, both versions as the same as yours!Untitled3.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

All is working fine at my end after several attempts to recreate the problem. As a side note, I'm opening NEF files.

January 25, 2018 last modified.

1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

As a side note, I'm opening NEF files.

you shoud not open raw file... you should open a JPG file and then apply the RAW filter.

as i wrote i can open RAW files too via the PS OPEN dialog.

applying the RAW FILTER is the issue!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have no issue opening any files, here's a jpeg opened in ACR

Untitled.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

did you open that as RAW or did you open a file and then applied the raw filter?

again opening a file is NOT the problem.
i can open RAW files too. i can also open JPG file into the camera raw dialog.

but when i try to apply the RAW FILTER to an ALREADY opened JPG file it won´t work.

it only work if i have opended a RAW file PRIOR to applying the RAW filter (during one PS session the RAW filter then works, until closing PS).

for testing:

1) close photoshop

2) open photoshop

3) load JPG file

4) apply RAW filter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

for testing:

1) close photoshop

2) open photoshop

3) load JPG file

4) apply RAW filter

Tried that and still not issue, as you can see ACR filter applied

Untitled1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

then be happy.. unfortunately it does not help us others thought.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I would be incline to think it's a OS issue as it doesn't affect all users

You could give this a try

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ged2016  schrieb

I would be incline to think it's a OS issue as it doesn't affect all users

You could give this a try

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

no it´s an adobe issue as usual.

sorry but these constant "delete everything and try again" problems solving is costing people money (time) and in 70% of all cases is solving nothing.

i have two systems with PS 19.1.1 and ACR 10.2 and both systems show these issues.

my two systems:

windows10 64bit 1709

32 GB ram

970GTX and 1080GTX

AMD Ryzen 1700, intel 8700K

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Tanja2014  wrote

So far - the only users to give system details are two who are not seeing the problem. If you are serious about getting to the bottom of the issue then please share some details so we can see if we spot a pattern that can narrow down the issue.
If you only want to rant - then fine..

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Dave

I'm just updating my Laptop as that hasn't been updated yet, will report back in a while

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

davescm  schrieb

Tanja2014   wrote

So far - the only users to give system details are two who are not seeing the problem. If you are serious about getting to the bottom of the issue then please share some details so we can see if we spot a pattern that can narrow down the issue.
If you only want to rant - then fine..

Dave

maybe you look at my posts again.

i checked the CAMERA RAW files. i wrote about my system specs.

repeating "i don´t have that issue".. is not really helpful at all.

it is not news that BUGS don´t affect EVERY system.

but as you can see from two threads today.... there are people who have EXACTLY the same issue.

now can you explain how such obvious bugs can go unnoticed by a software company who has decent quality control and betatesting?

i mean this is not the first time adobe has issues with updates.

adobe does not need to have EVERY possible system configuration to test on. nobody can expect that

but when after a few hours people report about such obvious bugs i wonder if they test at all....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Apologies - I missed your system details in the last thread.

I have no doubt the issue is real but until we narrow it down we cannot assume where the cause of the  problem lies.

So far we have folk using :

The same version of Windows - some of who have the problem some of who do not

Different CPUs with and without the issue
Only one AMD GPU without the issue - three NVidia GPUs two with the issue one without.

Can we confirm the driver versions for those GPUs?

Also how are the camera raw Preferences for those experiencing the issue and those not set. These are mine:

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

My Laptop has only an onboard Intel HD520 GPU

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

https://i.imgur.com/aIpXmSd.jpg

disabling the GPU does not change the issue. tested already.

i also willing to bet that this has nothing to do with the OS, graphic drivers etc.

this seems to be an issue with initializing ACR as a filter.

an internal PS issue.

one thing i may mention is that i have only 64 BIT photoshop installed on my systems not the 32 BIT version.

and i have no bridge installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adam Jerugim,
We can now reproduce the issue here and are looking into getting it fixed. In the meantime, you can open any RAW file first, and the filter will work until you quit and restart PS. We're also currently investigating other workarounds until we can deliver a proper fix. Thanks.

ok.. then lets wait until they come up with a fix.

again.. how such obvious bugs go unnoticed....

adobe is making HUGE profits but they seem to be unwilling to spend some of that money on proper betatesting and quality control.

instead of introducing features that have next to no use (AI SUBJECT SELECTION that works like crap) they should do something USEFUL!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

We can now reproduce the issue here and are looking into getting it fixed. In the meantime, you can open any RAW file first, and the filter will work until you quit and restart PS. Will post more updates here when we have them. Thanks.

4 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks for looking into this so fast guys!

All:

As a workaround, may I suggest assigning the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1" to Edit>Preferences>Camera Raw? All you'll need to do is hit those keys and "cancel" - you'll be good to go for that session.

3.jpg

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Benjamin+Root  schrieb

Thanks for looking into this so fast guys!

adobe should write an apology for not doing proper testing.

really i am paying for this kind of mess... and today i (again) spend MY TIME trying to solve adobes incompetence.

i am not in the mood searching for excuses for them.

something has to change at adobe!

photoshop is only one app.... and it´s a constant struggle with abobe apps.

i run into issues every day because adobe does not do even basic betatesting.

there are TONS of obvious bugs in adobe software that could be noticed and fixed BEFORE releasing a new version.

i don´t speak about some strange bugs who only happen on 1% of all system or under very specific circumstances.

i speak about OBVIOUS bugs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Just wondering if you enable this option does the error still occur

Untitled.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

well it opens the RAW import dialog when you open a JPG file. its basically the same as loading a RAW file first.

the dialog is initialized and the RAW filter works after that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

OK maybe that's another workaround until the issues resolved

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Just wondering if you enable this option does the error still occur

By selecting that option EVERY jpeg opens in RAW by default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I understand that, I was just curious the see if the error still occurred

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

If I get an error when trying to open the RAW preferences box, then yes, the error still occurs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No error. But of course, at the same time, Camera Raw opens and adds sidecar settings to the JPEG.

Adam, I'm curious of the best way one would touch Camera Raw preferences with an Action. Interesting idea, indeed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018

Hi Benjamin,

Download the attached action, unzip, then load. You can also create your own using the 'Insert Menu Item...' command from the Actions Panel flyout menu. I can add better instruction later today if needed.

regards,

steve

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I just used the action and was able to load the CRF. So at this point are Windows OS useres waiting on a Windows update or Adobe fix?

Thanks

Geoff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Most Valued Participant , Feb 14, 2018

Seem to be in Phoroshop:

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Benjamin's workaround is good as well: invoke the ACR preferences first, then the filter will work for that session (until you quit and restart PS). You could actually create an action that touches the ACR prefs and assign it a function key to simplify the keyboard commands.

We should have another (better) workaround posted shortly.

Thanks.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I just tried with and without the GPU here (which was the difference between our preference settings) and still could not get the issue to occur. So I agree we can rule out that preference.

I also have only the 64 bit version installed (so no difference there) . I do have Bridge CS6 and CC2018 installed but have not used or changed those today.

Given that Benjamin has raised the issue on the feedback forum and Eric, from the Adobe ACR team,  is now involved I would suggest adding your details to Benjamin's report and we can wait for any request from Eric for further comparative info.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adam posted whilst I was typing - agree we should wait for further info from Adobe. I'd be very interested to understand why some are seeing the issue and others not - on what look like similar set ups.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 14, 2018

davescm  wrote

Apologies - I missed your system details in the last thread.

I have no doubt the issue is real but until we narrow it down we cannot assume where the cause of the  problem lies.

Dave

Dave if you are Opening a RAW file first then saving as TIFF, PSD or JPG then calling up the ACR Filter no error comes up.

The Reason is if ACR is started "Before" you call up the filter in PS everything works.

If you open PS and go to Edit > Preferences > Camera RAW what you are doing is Starting ACR to get to the ACR preference. Then the Filter works.

The problem is opening PS, Calling up an image file, TIFF, PSD or JPG (NOT a RAW file) then go to Filter > Camera RAW Filter. You get the errors that screen shots have been posted of.

The filter works fine if you have started any part of Camera RAW, IE Used it in Bridge, Open In Camera RAW or Open (double clicked) on a RAW file, or called up the Camera RAW preferences in PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just%20Shoot%20Me

The reason I wasn't seeing the issue was later confirmed by Adam from Adobe. The issue  only affects displays with a vertical height of >1080px.  My displays are all 1920x1080 so no matter how I tried I couldn't replicate the issue.

One to watch out for in the future

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks Dave. So that is why I am seeing it on my 1920 x 1200 display running Win 7.

Although this may be true I can't grasp the idea that a displays height, in pixels, can be the only cause.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It was a new one on me but back in post 95 on this thread - Adam confirmed that was one of the requirements to trigger the issue

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Dave I do not see the problem on my 4K display SG wrote the problem seems to be in Adobe's Plug-in loading.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I think his point was that you will not see it on a 1080 height screen , not that you are guaranteed to see it on a higher vertical pixel height.
Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No one seems to know all the triggers. Some write this other that. SG wrote The trigger has to do with plug-in loading and when that happens in Ps. Thers is a problem somewhere but where?

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

auf Deutsch bitte, für die die kein Englisch können.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

alexk44288825  schrieb

auf Deutsch bitte, für die die kein Englisch können.

and swedish, and french and spanish and in italian....

use your brain luke....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Photoshop RAW filter was working perfectly well earlier today BEFORE updating to 19.1.1
Now it is not.

Win7 64 32GB

PS 19.1.1
RAW 10.2.0.894

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Well I've just updated my Laptop and don't have the issue on that either, so both my PC and Laptop are working fine with ACR

As I said I would be incline to think is to do with the Operating System

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

As I said I would be incline to think is to do with the Operating System

i have the same windows version as you (down to the build number).

it worked prior to the adobe update.. so i don´t see anything that points to an OS issue.

also it works if you do some nonsensical steps before using the CAMERA RAW filter (like opening the CAMERA RAW PREFERENCE dialog first).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It's been reported here

Camera Raw 10.2: (Filter) Incompatible With PS CC2018 19.1.1 | Photoshop Family Customer Community

So might be worth keeping an eye on that thread

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Can you include your GPU details so we can see if there is a pattern

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Folks, if you're having trouble running ACR Filter on Windows, can you please try the following:

1.  Make sure Ps is not running.

2.  Launch Ps.

3.  Go to the Edit menu -> Preferences sub-menu -> Camera Raw... (at the very bottom).

4.  Close the ACR Preferences dialog.

5.  Open/create any document in Ps (such as a JPEG).

6.  Try to run Camera Raw Filter.

Does the ACR Filter work now?

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MadManChan2000  schrieb

Folks, if you're having trouble running ACR Filter on Windows, can you please try the following:

1.  Make sure Ps is not running.

2.  Launch Ps.

3.  Go to the Edit menu -> Preferences sub-menu -> Camera Raw... (at the very bottom).

4.  Close the ACR Preferences dialog.

5.  Open/create any document in Ps (such as a JPEG).

6.  Try to run Camera Raw Filter.

Does the ACR Filter work now?

as i wrote a few times... when i go to the CAMERA RAW PREFERENCES FIRST, it works until i close PS again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I can't even open the preferences dialog. As soon as I click "Camera Raw Preferences" I get an errorerror-raw.png.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Restart Photoshop and do that step before anything else..

Translate

Translate