• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 slow and laggy [LOCKED]

Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is now locked by a moderator and you are welcome to continue a civil discussion in a new thread or add to the bug report that goes to the product developers. See the link in the answer marked "Correct".

Here are the forum guidelines:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-support-community-guidelines/td...

I'm going to start this new thread for the new version of photoshop. 
There are hundreds of comments about 2020 being slow and laggy and not a single adobe rep has even acknowledged it. I was hoping the upgrade would solve everyone's issues but alas that isn't the case. 

So this thread is for all you old and newcomers with new and old machines where photoshop runs like crap to complain about. Maybe their newest software might be seen for them to do something.  

I'll go first: 
Ryzen 9, 64 gigs of 3200 ram, 1080 ti gfx, 1nvme 3200mb.s ssd for programs, 1 tb sata sdd cache drive, 2 tb WD black for files. 

Photoshop takes almost 3 seconds to do simple things like changing to a shape pen tool to make shapes. 
Lags on anything pen tool, and type tool
Played with every setting in the performance and went through their pages on optimizing. 
I even went through the Nvidia setting but only gained a slight boost in performance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

@vitorsantosHerz 

I've linked the bug thread you started below so that others can vote and add their own system info:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/slowness-and-lag-in-photoshop/idi-p/12403870

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 391 Replies 391
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2021... FU! SCAM! Just upgrades from CS5. What a mess is this new Photoshop 2021!?? Pathetic! Vicarious embarrassment!

I just installed Photoshop. And was forced to install Camera RAW. Nothing else. And instantly noticed how slow everything is. My machine is kinda averaga. 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 SSD, 6Intel 8750H 4.1GHz (6C/12T),  I even did some benchmarks. Run 10 times. +/- average speed below:

CS5 opens in about 2 secconds. And after 0.1 sec I see my PSD on screen. Total time: 2.1sec.

PS2021 opens in about 10 secconds. Then there is a blank PS workspace for another 3 sec. And only then I see my PSD on screen. Total time: 13sec.

Instantly noticed at least 10+ bugs!!! I mean, instantly--in my first 10 minutes in new PS2021. Will name just a few:

1) Rectangular Marque tool buggy. 1px offset!!!

2) Open dialog window does not show PSD previews (or any other previews). Really? And when moving that window, it lags! Really? Yes!

3) There are random delays on anything... every there and there 1 sec lags. Bravo!

4) When panning image, always 0.5-1.0 second lag upon first drag.

5) Many windows (just to name a few--Character, Layer Comps, Properties) are very bad aligned. Visually ugly.

6) I disabled sharing, syncing, cloud, etc... still in main toolbar (uper right corner), there are 4 ugly icons -- they are too big, too bold. How to disable them? Haha! You can not! And every 5 minutes I see friendly ugly big blue popups! Really Adobe? BS!

7) Many comboboxes are half-height. They cut-off values. And when renaming layers, layer comps... input lines are half-height too. Amazing job!

My rating: 1 star :star:

How I feel:  🤮🤮🤮

I believe there are 100+ bugs. At least.

BTW, this is my first post here. Why? Because currently I can not run Photoshop at all. It stuck at Splash screen. Even after reboot. No luck. Can look at two p*** flamingos.

Pathetic job, Adobe! Amazingly bad 🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad. I have similar issues, and as a result, am going through
the Affinity learning curve. While Affinity has a lot of power, and is
much more responsive on my machine, it will take some time to get familiar
and competent. But it actually is very good. Just, Photoshop, if the
engine would work properly, is more intuitive and familiar. I am going to
evaluate whether I will continue with PS after another month and then
either ditch it altogether, if there is no improvement. With 25 years of
PS experience, this is just so disheartening.

--
Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many Affinity is not an viable alternative to Photoshop for it does not have features like Photoshop Scripting.  Old version of Photoshop are very good. Adobe always releases a new version of Photoshop before it is ready for use.  There are many bugs in a new version of Photoshop and it take Adobe a long time the get the latest Photoshop version into shape before they release the next buggy version of Photoshop.   Do not jump onto new version of Photoshop. Keep old version of Photoshop installed so you will have a Photoshop that is usable.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think for a lot of casual and even some pro photographers Affinity Photo is indeed a viable alternative, but while I wholeheartedly recommended it to people, I find that the workflow is different enough that I go back to PS (albiet the 2020 version which I have no problems with, performance-wise). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity is certainly a good program, but, it is not as functional as
Photoshop. Just as an example, the RAW Filter in PS is much more
intuitive, allowing a great deal of my work to be done in this modality.
However, PS has been so slow and laggy of late (2021 especially) I have
done more of the finer work in Affinity, as PS has become a pain. I
suspect that PS needs to do a real code overhaul before adding yet more
functionality. Most of which I will never use. Affinity 1.9 has a lot
going for it, and if they could emulate PS Raw Filter functionality I
think I would abandon PS.

--
Ian Anson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that you install Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.7 as well as Photoshop 2021 version 22.3.1.  All PS 2021 version have serious issues on many machines. Adobe uped the GPU requirements for use with Photoshop 2021.  Adobe changed Photoshop GPU support and many older GPU are no longer supported or are of limited use.

Photoshop 2020 is a more stable and reliable version of Photoshop.  IMO Photoshop users will have better Photoshop experience using PS 2020.  Adobe is still trying to get Photoshop 2021 into shape.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New photoshop is unusable on my computer. I'm not sure what to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC user here. I recently (over the past weekend) upgraded to 2021 on Windows 10 and the performance issues are absolutely killing my workflow. What used to take seconds now takes several minutes. I don't have 2020 available in my creative cloud to go back to. It seems Adobe is aware of issues. I can see replys from "Michelle" back in November 2020 that they are "working on it"?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try

https://ccmdls.adobe.com/AdobeESD/PHSP/20.0.8/win64/d2993b0d-3d47-43ad-8006-04876af47c38/AdobePhotos...

This was given to me by the online chat, they must be aware of the issues.  I downloaded this and it worked better.

I did a clean OS install from scratch, and then downloaded the latest Photoshop.  It now does come up with a long delay, but there are still dead spots in saving and other tasks.

They need to quit all upgrades and just focus on getting this version stable.  Who wants updates when you can barely use the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.....I thought it was my MAC.

I am running MacOS Big Sur on a 3.7 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i5; 32GB 2667 Mhz DDR4 memory; Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

It was very fast until earlier thos year.  My scratch disk is not full, nor is my 2.12 Fusion TB.  (1.9 TB available).

Is a fix coming?

Desmeralda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Editing and retouching has been really tough with this new Photoshop 21.

Do you guys experience extreme lag when doing color and clone sampling?

I try sample but it stays in the older  sampling spots untilt I click a  few times . Its so frustrating and slowed down my workflow a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me also. I am still using PS v19/CC2018 for this because annoying lags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You convinced me I should find the old version instead. : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded to PS2020 on my iMac (Big Sur) everything went pretty well. No real problems. Gradually though, I started to get a few problems - PS crashing, slow performance, slow opening (just took 11 mins when previously it opened in about 30 secs) etc). I was excited when I saw the latest update as it, ha ha, contained "bug fixes, performance improvements and some stability improvements." Having tried it, I think the update should have been described as "contains no bug fixes but creates new ones, performance reductions and some instability increases". 

It now takes what feels like a month and a half to open (the dreaded Halide Bottlenecks extension), regularly shut downs and won't close when wanted (I have to 'force quit').

From a company the size and sophistication of Adobe, this is, simply, not good enough. I use Lightroom and PS for work and these issues are causing me real problems. Everytime I get an email from them is like smoking 10 packs of cigs. It takes a couple of days off my life expectancy!!

Chloe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used Photoshop for almost ~6 months.

Now I regret turning it on. This laggy and sluggish software is more than pathetic. Adobe is going downhill with stability and performance. I won't use profanity, but it's beyond me how UTTERLY BAD this software has become over the last years.

But hey! They stock market price is better then ever! The shareholders are so proud of the development team.
To be honest, I bet they fired or lost all the best developers and managers, and hired some kind of "zerg army" of interns and here we are.

This company is a laughing stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree...it's HORRID!!! And, guess what?!! ILLUSTRATOR ISN'T ANY BETTER!! Yep ... AI is doing the same sluggish, awful performance. I can't get any work done...

I've been an Adobe user since the 80s....before some of the people on this board were even born...and have never thought of leaving, even when they went to subscription plans....but that has changed!!! I'm going to check out the Affinity softwares and see what I can do with them.

ADOBE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF ITSELF! It used to be that we could count on Adobe for great software, but not any more! THEY ARE LEAVING ALL OF US IN THE DUST AND THEY DON'T CARE ONE IOTA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worst update ever. Don't do it or go back to 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 is such a slow laggy POS that I downgraded to 2020. Turns out, 2020 is now a slow laggy POS too. It's gotta be something with the stupid creative cloud software.

I'm very seriously considering dumping this crap and going to an older "unofficial" version. There's no excuse for this to be broken for so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to go over to Affinity. Works like PS used to.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the 90 day trials of all of Affinity's software. Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to shorten the learning curve...tutorials, etc? I've worked with PSD since the beginning, so that makes me an "old woman" and the thought of having to learn new software is, well...sigh! Anyway, I realize it's very similar to PSD but would like to cut the learning curve a bit if possible...you know...if tools work differently, workspace layout, etc. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and do it. Adobe has left me and you and SO MANY OTHERS in very bad positions! I AM APPALLED AT THE LACK OF ANY CONCERN ON ADOBE'S PART!

Any tips on learning the new Affintiy software would be appreciated. Have you used their Designer or Publisher? I use AI, PSD and InDesign for what I do, so if Affinity fills the bill, then GOODBYE ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of beginners tutorials on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, second the YouTube tutorials. Affinity has a channel and it's worked for me. There are lots of other random tutorials I've found helpful around YouTube as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Photo isn't that difficult to learn if you're willing to just sort of go for it and attempt to do figure it out on your own (much of it is similar and intuitive, but the Affinity Personas might trip you up initially; also, I get that a lot of people might do better with a step-by-step approach as far as learning). What's worked for me is just messing around with normal edits, then when I get stumped on a particular task or tool, I do a Google search and usually find an answer pretty easily. When all is said and done, it is more than adequate as a long term PS alternative, especially the tablet (iPad) version which blows away Photoshop on the iPad. There are workflow things that can be hard to adjust to, like the fact that the check boxes for the Layers panel is on the opposite side (right) as from PS (left), which is surprisingly aggravating, lol. Then there are also limitations on things like setting keyboard shortcuts for certain tasks which I can do in PS, but not in Affinity, so if you've done a lot of keyboard shortcut customizations, that might be an issue, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these replies are strikingly similar to howling at the moon. 

Adobe doesn't even have the common courtesy to make a statement on the matter.

I came here because my PS2021 sucks too, for all the same reasons as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines