• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 slow and laggy [LOCKED]

Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is now locked by a moderator and you are welcome to continue a civil discussion in a new thread or add to the bug report that goes to the product developers. See the link in the answer marked "Correct".

Here are the forum guidelines:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-support-community-guidelines/td...

I'm going to start this new thread for the new version of photoshop. 
There are hundreds of comments about 2020 being slow and laggy and not a single adobe rep has even acknowledged it. I was hoping the upgrade would solve everyone's issues but alas that isn't the case. 

So this thread is for all you old and newcomers with new and old machines where photoshop runs like crap to complain about. Maybe their newest software might be seen for them to do something.  

I'll go first: 
Ryzen 9, 64 gigs of 3200 ram, 1080 ti gfx, 1nvme 3200mb.s ssd for programs, 1 tb sata sdd cache drive, 2 tb WD black for files. 

Photoshop takes almost 3 seconds to do simple things like changing to a shape pen tool to make shapes. 
Lags on anything pen tool, and type tool
Played with every setting in the performance and went through their pages on optimizing. 
I even went through the Nvidia setting but only gained a slight boost in performance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

@vitorsantosHerz 

I've linked the bug thread you started below so that others can vote and add their own system info:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/slowness-and-lag-in-photoshop/idi-p/12403870

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 391 Replies 391
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had enough of this BS, and I decided to download PS CC 2018 from an unofficial site. The difference in terms of performance, is HUGE. I experience no lag and super slow response from that CC 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled and reinstalled an earlier 2019 version and it's still a dog! AND IT'S STARTING TO CRASH MY COMPUTER....LOCKS UP TIGHTER 'AN A DRUM!!! Hard shutdown necessary!! NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!

And AI is also a dog....uninstalled and then installed the latest version thinking it would be better and fix some problems....but OH NO OF COURSE NOT...

COMPUTER CRASHING AGAIN!!

I think a class action law suit is in the future....there are thousands of thousands of people paying out the rear for a stupid subscription plan and we can't even use the software!

IN WHAT WORLD DO YOU PAY AND PAY AND PAY FOR UNUSABLE PRODUCTS!

Adobe doesn't care and isn't addressing these issues. After over 40 years of using their products...I'M DONE and I'm considering contacting a lawyer to make sure they don't charge me early plan termination. This is horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is crashing daily. I am a falling so behind in my work, my workflow now takes four times as long as it once did. I don't even know what my options are at this point but I'm completely stressed out over it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the image breaks up as i scroll around - Adobe thsi si horribel - CS6 did nt have these problems.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this isn't fixed soon I'll be dumping my subscription, and recommending my office do the same. Photoshop is almost unusable now. Even downgrading to the previous version didn't help. Must be something wrong with the creative crap software or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st May and no solutions from adobe. Im down to litterally slug pace now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying the Affinity trial but not enjoying it… hope I don’t have to end up using it.

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEAH ME TOO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

put me down for this garbage as well. 

And to think, I was just about to purchase more applications. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its so INCREDIBLY SLOW! Is there nothing one can do to fix it? Yesterday I installed the new version and now many things, like zooming in and out, take so long, its not possible to work with this software like this. But i have commission to do! Please help me to solve this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by Adobe supper to turn off graphics processor under preferences. It helped, however now my liquify tool doesn’t work 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah ADOBE always has an "excuse" or a "work around" for this crap! And since when would anyone put up with having to pay every month, month after month, for a product that doesn't work. And then they'll charge early termination fees if you want to stop monthly payments, because you're breaking the contract!!! Yeah, who EXACTLY is BREAKING THE CONTRACT!!! ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is just so much wrong it's not even funny. Take a large photo ie 24000 px wide and crop it down with content aware turned on, takes forever to crop and the after cropping tries to do a content aware fill on? ... Guess what .... Nothing .... because you're cropping it smaller. The genius is just astounding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you to download older PS version like I did (I use PS CC2018) and it works way smoother without any lags. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar problems with the healing brush tool and other selection tools lagging horribly in PS2021 when I upgraded last fall, and I dropped back to PS202 and it's been fine. I had been wondering if it's been long enough for Adobe to have fixed the issues in '21 so I could switch back, but judging from the most recent posts (through May 3rd, 2021), it looks like it's still an issue! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still a monumental PITA to use what used to be the most reliable image processing software.

Font, Crop, even the most basic op are unbelieveably slow. 
I have start to run out of patience with you adobe. at the end of my sub i will be force to use a less complete software and buy affinity. But even if i could do less, i will be able to deliver on time. 

as a reminder you are selling a software for PROFESSIONAL, who make money for a living with your tool.

so for the sake of god, just hire Skilled GPU programmers and just do your job , the job we pay you every month to do. 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.

ADOBE!!! How about a [removed]  (! fix to this problem!!! YOU HAVE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE PAYING FOR A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM THAT DOESN'T WORK!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just called ADOBE support and of course they tried to get me to do all kinds of crap to "fix" things and I said no after a couple of rounds of this and that. Even wanted to access my screen and I absolutely said NO to that!

I basically said "stop" I'm not doing this. There is an ENTIRE COMMUNITY OF PEOPLE with the same complaints so it's not me or my computer.

Made it very clear about how angry I am at this crap software that I'm forced to pay for month after month.

I figure it might be time to get legal advice since it is ADOBE breaking their contract to provide usable software for payment every month. I told this to the rep.

I am now scheduled for a call back tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing their support guys do on a remote session is access activity monitor to kill a bunch of duplicate rubbish CC processes. Why? because their own engineers cannot seem to open just one process at a time nor do they seem to possess the ability to  kill those processes either. Been like this since Creative Cloud came of age. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man dont even get me started on just how many freakin processes run in the background, its ridiculous!

Any ideas on who we can contact to get this problem more visible? Any big youtubers etc? its not really my world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on an hour call with ADOBE support this morning. They called back after yesterday's call.

This rep took me through a bunch of checks of graphics cards, drivers, a different version of PSD...etc. Nothing worked.

So I have now downloaded PSD version 22.2.0. So far it's working ok, but we'll see how the day goes!

Since I am also having issues with Illustrator and none of the currently accessible versions work worth crap either, she sent me a link to the 2018 version of Illustrator. I installed that version 23.1.

Then she had me create a new user acct on my computer. Asked me to see how PSD and AI work under the new user acct. She said that sometimes the user acct can become corrupted, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's simply that the newest few versions of PSD/AI are just crap.

I did make it very clear that I am extremely unhappy about the fact that ADOBE seems to be ignoring the mass outrage. I said "time is money" which greedy ADOBE should know all about. Also mentioned that if I have to continue to pay for software that doesn't work, that contacting a lawyer is something that I am considering. ADOBE is breaking their contract with us! We pay a subscription fee for the privilege of having the most current up to date software on our computers. They aren't providing that so they are breaking their end of the contract. Sounds like a lawsuit to me...a class action lawsuit. I also told her that ADOBE has the balls to charge people an early termination fee if they're sick and tired of the crap and want to cancel. ADOBE IS NOT ABOVE THE LAWS OF CONTRACTS, even if they are the biggest out there.

So we'll see how it goes. If this all works, the rep is going to help me transfer all my settings to the new user acct so I can access all my files and such. Right now I'm having to jump back and forth. I also commented that there's no way that dozens if not hundreds of users have corrupt user accts...LOL...just more runarounds, but the rep was at least courteous and tried.

I'll post again with update when I have more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is very slow for me too, then when you try to cancel the plan, if you have not been the full year on this plan, you must pay almost 19 euro's so you can cancel the plan, this is embarrassing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of others have mentioned graphics processors and have related that Adobe is concerned as well.  

My primary PC is a 32-core AMD Threadripper with 128GB of RAM and an 8G Radeon Pro graphics card.  It's a powerful beast.

Photoshop is a slow, laggy P.O.S. just like the title says.  The program takes minutes to initialize.

Here's the thing:  I have a garden-variety all-in-one Dell PC that I bought last year.  Photoshop runs fine on it.  It doesn't have a fancy graphics card.  I was really surprised.

So, I'm left to conclude that if you can somehow downgrade your graphics card features that it may indeed help.

-fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had my boss in here, showing him how turning on a layer (no matter which one I choose) takes four seconds! Using the clone stamp tool, I have to slow myself down because when I work at regular speed, PS doesn't reconize when I press alt. When I'm panning with my Wacom Intuos 5 Touch. The current tab freezes (other tabs are fine and I can do as I please) and the only option is save as and close, re-open and try to pick up if no serious damage was done. Dragging from PS to AI takes foooooorever. All in all, PS runs like I'm on some computer from ten years ago!

Win 10, core i9 processor with 8 cores overclocked to 4.7ghz, 64gb ram, GeForce RTX 2080, adobe apps installed on 1tb ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL...10 years ago! LOL...try over 30 years ago! I've been an ADOBE product user since the beginning and I'm thoroughly disgusted with the crap they are putting out these days. After two calls to support and going through all kinds of "stuff," with nothing working, I've written a rather nasty email to them. So far no response to my demand for credit of my account for all the payments I've made for a product that doesn't work. LOL...we'll see if they send the goon squad after me....LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines