• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

--21474836.,( ???

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to PS 12.01 CC. Suddenly I getting strange numbers in my Character and Paragraph boxes. The text is not showing up. When I try and change the text size, and it seems to corrupt that number too, sometimes give me error when trying to change a number.

Specifically the "number" that often comes up is --21474836.,(

I've search this in the forums and found a couple cases of it, some suggesting resetting the type tool (or "reset all tool"). I've tried this, to no avail. I've relaunched PS and restarted my computer. What's the next step - Delete PS preferences? (not looking forward to that)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

What's the next step - Delete PS preferences? (not looking forward to that)

Yes:

To manually restore preferences to default:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the next step - Delete PS preferences? (not looking forward to that)

Yes:

To manually restore preferences to default:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

Preferences in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peru Bob, that seemed to fix the problem. I was afraid I was going to have to reset all my preferences/presets, but I was able to just delete the tools preset file, and that was the ticket!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Administrator Dmohr has a solution that does not involve restoring preferences:
Open Photoshop and create a new .PSD,
“...Now, once you've done that, try to add a new type layer. What point size do you have? If it's defaulting to 21474836 then open the flyout menu from the Character panel and click Reset Character. That should handle all possible cases.”

Original post:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-21474836-text-error/5f5f46144b561a3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this issue occur in the Font Size field/dropdown anytime I try to use the Type Tool. Here's the number that's automatically propagated:

--21474836.,(

I've updateds to the latest version, tried the Reset Character workaround, deleted my preferences, restarted my computer; pretty much everything shy of a full reinstall of Photoshop and can't seem to get around it.

Any help here?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines