• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

30" 16:10 Monitors ?

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My aging Dell 2709W main screen has had the vertical line issue for at least a year, and has now degenerated to the stage where they never completely go away.  This simulated view shows the top left third after the screen has warmed up.  It's a lot worse when first woken up.

The screen is also noticeably less bright than the 24" screens on either side of it (in portrait mode), OK, so this is no longer put-up-able and it is time to put my hand in my pocket.   I need a 30" 16:10 display with a 2560x1600 resolution. That would give about the same pixel density as the two 24" 1920x1200 displays, which are comfortable,  I've looked at a couple of Dell options, but they only score in the mid 50s on Amazon user reviews.  20% scored it only one star, and they speak about nightmares trying to get problems fixed.

So I have homed in on this HP Z30i and would appreciate any feedback from folk who use this screen.  It does not appear to share Dell's terrible reliability issues, but it's NZ$800 more expensive.  Decent monitors have a significant mark up here — the HP Z30i will cost me NZ$2400 (US$1715 — Amazon sells it for US$1017, and no it doesn't ship to NZ)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered B+H? They will ship anything, anywhere. I once bought US-only NEC Spectraview software from them and had it shipped to Norway. This was the only possible way to get it, NEC did not sell it to European customers and would just redirect you if you tried.

You will have to pay customs when it arrives, but that's just calculated from the purchase value in the normal way. They don't care what it costs in the local stores (I think. You may want to check that in advance).

Yes, Dell is a well-documented rip-off. I'm frankly surprised they're still allowed to remain in business. They have disclaimers for every possible scenario. They advertise "high-end" products, and if you complain, they say "oh, it's not that high-end. This is within our specs".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag, you are a star!  Just checked and B&H do ship monitors to NZ. Shipping is NZ$220, so even if I had to pay our GST (15%) I would still save NZ$600.

So is that HP Z30i of acceptable quality?  I actually looked at Eizo, and they were another $1000.  I just checked the other B&H 30" 2560x1600 displays, and the Z30i is my best option AFAICT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never tried hp monitors. The original Dreamcolor LP2480ZX was a pretty advanced beast with RGB LED array and a native 10 bit panel specially made. Even today you won't find that anywhere. It was also the most expensive 24" commercially available monitor ever made, even Eizo was cheaper. I miss it, it was nice to have around.

I think the z30 is probably OK. They have a history to live up to. It is wide gamut though - I assume you're ready for that? You know what you have to do - get a good calibrator. Calibration software should be included or at least available extra, you really do want the ability to calibrate the unit directly, without having to do it in the video card. You still need a good sensor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines