Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D material settings with photoshop 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I installed last version of photoshop 2020 (windows 1903) and it seems that the 3D material settings panel is not as usual. I can't find anymore diffuse choice and also no slider for reflectivity as in 2019. Am I wrong somewhere? 

See attached view.

Regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Photoshop has moved to the more modern PBR mattallic material workflow. These give more realistic renders and are more compatible with todays 3D apps.

Although not an exact match , the nearest equivalent to Diffuse is Base Color.

Reflection is a bit harder as in a PBR worksflow  the  reflectiveness is set by Metallic (which although on a slider is normally 0% for non-metals and 100% for metals) in combination with Roughness and Base color

These might help:

https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has moved to the more modern PBR mattallic material workflow. These give more realistic renders and are more compatible with todays 3D apps.

Although not an exact match , the nearest equivalent to Diffuse is Base Color.

Reflection is a bit harder as in a PBR worksflow  the  reflectiveness is set by Metallic (which although on a slider is normally 0% for non-metals and 100% for metals) in combination with Roughness and Base color

These might help:

https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-1

https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-2

Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New features description for 2020 version does not mention 3D update but this is understood, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noticed that the documentation has not kept up with the change. I suspect it has been done for better alignment with Adobe Dimension, but it is a significant change that should have been made clear.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is more than just Diffuse. What about Specular, Illumination, and Ambient?  So, the diffuse is the base color,  what about Interior Color? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Specular/Glossy is a different PBR workflow to Metal/Roughness. If you take a look at the second PBR guide, I linked above, it explains the difference. It is not a case of just plugging the old maps into a different named shader.

As for the other properties - this may help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/dimension/using/standard-materials.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also note that Substance requires yet ANOTHER subscription $ to get materials....

Don't tell anyone, just change it and add a further cost seems the Adobe watchword. Unfortunatelty that is why I moved from Apple FCPX to Adobe.

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Substance always has had a separate subscription to CC. Allegorithmic who produced it only became part of Adobe last year.

Materials for the PBR metallic workflow are available from many sources, some free, some paid,  not just Substance.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the time adobe has supported legacy actions in Photoshop essentially forever. One of the more recent ones was the opportunity to go back to the original select and mask instead of utilizing the new tool. Slipping this new substance change into a Photoshop update without any heads up nor any ability to utilize the old tool is a mistake.  So my question really is which version of Photoshop CC can I go back to that has the legacy 3-D materials? I will go back to that and stay there until adobe give me an option to have it in an updated version. 

Sent from Outlook on my iPad so apologies for any typos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v20 still uses the old material system and can be downloaded from the CC desktop app.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. I’m there!

Sent from Outlook on my iPad so apologies for any typos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave. You would need a degree in materials design to understand any of the language being used in those tutorials. I'm just trying to have different textures to make art with. Not manufacture materials through three separate apps. Then get into photoshop and not be able to associate any of the property settings with the maps. The advice, just keep plugging them in until you get it right is off the wall. Is there an in between?? I would like to continue making art, with new textures. Not any of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore the amount of money being forked over to feel like a dummy should provide Adobe the necessary funds to update their guides/documentations. This should be self explanatory, not some quest filled with unending google searches. Please, if you guys really are making tools for artists make things more accessible. Not everyone is a technician, most artist are definitely not. 3 hr tutorial video, you could save that by just updating the documentation. STOP GATEKEEPING 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For real STOP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, your comments are addressed at the wrong people. This forum is answered by volunteer users - we do not work for Adobe and have no control over what Adobe does.

The above answers were aimed at a user trying to understand the changes in the material system. It only gets complex when you try and convert.

If you are creating materials in the new system then no conversion is necessary. If you are importing materials just make sure they were designed with Basecolor, Metallic, Roughness and Normal maps and they should just plug in.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea just airing it out anyway. I won't be able to figure it out anytime soon more than likely. This is the only resource Adobe really gives anyone, so pay to learn some more or complain here. If you can't pay, don't want to complain/don't get an answer, then just quit or never progress. Same difference, and that's why I mentioned gatekeeping. Tools for artists, or max profits. Even the lack of explanation in the GUI is another brick wall. That doesn't come without intention in my opinion, and a very likely monetary incentive.  If there wasn't an issue, I wouldn't be on a messaging board like it's still 1998. Very unfortunate for the potential developers out there. Seems like a never ending battle, the artist vs capitalism. Thank you for your time, and response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave I am so new to this 3D Photoshop and I love the idea but all this is so confusing. When I try to add a texture to base color it opens a new window that I can paste the texture into, after I do that there is no difference on my model. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thank you for responding your the only guy I've seen who has any knowledge on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you paste in your texture , close and save the psb file for that texture. The model should then update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave!

I am getting into 3D Photoshop and when I try to load new 3D materials aside from the default ones photoshop provides, I can't because the 3D MAterial are .SBSAR and not .P3M. 

How do I get more 3D Materials for the 3D layers I have in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short answer is that you can't. Get more content used to take you to a site with 3D materials for Photoshop, but now just goes to the page for the new 3D packages.

I have raised the issue at the link below where you may wish to add a comment

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-3d-get-more-content-broken-link/610...

In all honesty though , I would not hold my breath for a fix in Photoshop 3D. It is buggy and I have not seen any fixes for several releases.

You can of course load individual maps (Base colour, roughness, metal, height and  and normal into the texture slots in Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines