3D Normal Map Filter not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest build cannot create/preview the 3D Normal Map filter.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

I revisited this again this evening.

It works OK here until I move any of the contrast detail sliders at which point it becomes unresponsive. I rarely use it as I prefer Substance Designer, but it looks like yet another element of Photoshop 3D with issues.

My advice would be to raise it at the feedback forum , linked below, where Adobe developers will see it.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3D Normal Map Filter not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest build cannot create/preview the 3D Normal Map filter.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

It works OK here until I move any of the contrast detail sliders at which point it becomes unresponsive. I rarely use it as I prefer Substance Designer, but it looks like yet another element of Photoshop 3D with issues.

My advice would be to raise it at the feedback forum , linked below, where Adobe developers will see it.

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 17, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually yes it can mate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked between 22.1, 22.0.1, 22, and 20.0.8 (which is the version that still had the line tool in pixels). All worked except for 22.1. None of the settings work in the preview, and the normal map it creates is not usable. As mentioned 22.0.1, 22, and 20.0.8 create useable normal maps. I thought it was a driver issue with my card (RTX 2070 Super) but my version is current 460.89, and I tried it on the previous driver version as well 457.30. Both didn't change the behaviour of 22.1 unable to create a useable normal map.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works here with v22.1 on Windows 10 v20H2 and Nvidia 2080ti studio driver 456.71

I would try a preference reset.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me correct this, there is something amiss with the normal map in 22.1. I reset the preferences and still get the same as what Ussnorway shows below. A normal map too soft to use. None of the Contrast Detail or Detail Scale sliders affect the map. See attached with detail scale at 17% and Low and Medium contrast set to 1% and the resulting normal map. Then using the same tile map on 20.0.8. The white sphere preview is 22.1 and totally unuseable. The grey tile sphere is how the normal map should look, and in fact does on all other versions except 22.1.

Normal Map in 20.0.8.jpgNormal Map in 22.1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before anyone comments on the Invert Height being on, I literally went through every setting and Invert Height seemed to be the only one responding in 22.1 and I had forgot to uncheck it when I did the screen cap. NONE of the other parameters changed the normal map in 22.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave

I've followed up with a post there. I appreciate you looking into it and directing me where to post as there is an issue for sure.

All the best!

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.1.0 20201125.r.94 2020/11/25: 4b16c876033 x64

Screenshot (955).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 0
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm moving the contrast detail sliders makes the filter unresponsive

the error is in the imput code i.e, clicking inside the text box is what locks the filter up so the workaround is to NOT click in the text or slider boxes... use your mouse to slide the imputs instead

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 0