• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D smart object fabric mockup - how is this even possible?

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found this cool fabric mockup product (demo available on their website) and have been trying to understand how it is created. 

I watched countless youtube videos but no one seems to mention 3D smart objects. I tried the demo and it uses 3D functionality and then the pattern goes over like a texture. 

But I can't figure out how they took a photo of this fabric and turned it into a 3D smart object?

I don't need exact steps, just an overall understanding to solve the mystery 🙂

sdf.JPG

Their website is here (demo further down the listing):

https://creativemarket.com/creatsy5/3369282-Fabric-Factory-v.6-Mockup-Bundle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

its pretty basic stuff but most software has moved on from depth maps today

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is professional approach for making a mockup you should know how smart objects works and what is clipping mask with layers....Regards

Check this video for basic understandings : https://youtu.be/ZGfhgZfHX5U

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand that video is not using Photoshop 3D layers in mockups.  Its using  Photoshop vanishing point tp map photoshop layers into a 2d image perspective look not an actual 3d layers.  IMO a much better option for mockups for its rather easy to replace or edit smart object layer contents in  mockup psd templates.    It would be much more complex to create replacement materials for Photoshop 3d layer's  materials surfaces. And edit 3d layer material surfaces to replace the materials in the template.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its pretty basic stuff but most software has moved on from depth maps today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway, wow yes this is it! Thanks v much for posting the video, super useful. 

and thanks to all who replied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that is a very educational video about Photoshop's 3D feature and demonstrates some of what that support can do.     However,  you seem to be interested in making professional mockup and posted a link to where you stated these was a demo.  I did not see and demo in the linked page.  I did see the

image.png 

Photoshop Files, Layered files, Smart Objects, Color Change.   No mention of Photoshop 3d Layer usage.   I feel mockup templates need to employ the use  Smart Object layers to be able to support  design rotation and distortion. When you replace the contents of  the smart object  layer only the  rectangle layer object image is replaced.  The Smart Layer's Associated layer transform is not replaces or changed. Thefore, the replacement Object must  be exactly the same aspect ratio, size and print resolition as the smart object in the mock.   The layers associated layer transform will size position and warp  the replacement design like it did the original smart object.   The layer most likely also has a  texture layer blended into it or  smart filter displacement map that add depth to give it a 3D look. So it is east to  replace a fabfic's design.   You just replace or edit the smart object layers's object.   IMO it wold not be easy to replace a Photoshop 3D Layer's Objects Surfaces with replacement materials.    You have never found a mockup tutorial that addressed the use of Photoshop 3D layers.  I do not remember if any mockup  template I have seen contained a Photoshop 3D layer there may have been some. However, I have never seen a Mockup Template that required  a 3D layer's surfaces materials.

I did not see anything like this using the link you posted

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with USS Norway it looks like it has been done with a smart object and depth map or smart object applied to a 3D surface

An alternative method would be to use a full 3D application with cloth physics simulation to make the folds then a fabric material on the surface (as I did below in Blender and fabric from Substance Painter):

Blender-Quick-Cloth-Demo-A.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work on the fabric in Blender, Dave — I also like the marble! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Jane , it is just a flat plane with the fabric material dropped over a sphere. Cloth physics takes care of the way it folds when it drops. I can't lay claim to the materials the denim and marble were just grabbed from Substance Source so that I could quickly do this demo of what can be achieved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impressive work!
Can the cloth be done as white cloth and exported somehow to phtoshop to be used as a mockup?
or the whole work has to be done in blender?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That example would need to be done in Blender, or another 3D app, as it used a physics simulation to get the cloth to fold over realistically. Then the render took care of the lighting. 

Once the scene is set up though, changing the material is very easy and re-rendering is fast in a modern 3D application that makes full use of the GPU.

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smart object = a file that remembers what you did to it so it can be reverted back should things go wrong... they are the same sort of thing as a raw file and the modern way to work

Photoshop is an older software that has issues when you try to make 3D files from smart objects... it will work but the results are offen less than if you just use a standard image so be aware of that when you watch 3D tutorials for newer types of software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines