• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D stopped working

Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using 3D in Photoshop on a MacBook Pro (and an iMac). I made a graphic in Illustrator, brought it into Photoshop and made an stl file that I printed to my 3D printer. I was getting along OK. Now when I bring in a file and extrude it, I can't do anything else. It's like the image is untouchable. I also tried text right in Photoshop but the exact same thing happened - extrude, then nothing.

Use OpenCL was unchecked after an update so I checked it and restarted.

Drawang mode is Normal (I tried Basic but no change).

• MacOS Big Sur Version 11.3.1
  • Total Available VRAM is 1496MB (same as when it was working)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
  •  Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

What's wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave.

Is that explained somewhere in the update information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is in the known issues section.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked here but didn't see that issue:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html#big-sur-known-issues

While your response was fast, shouldn't there be a better way of explaining these issues when a change is made. I was playing around with this for a few days (on and off) before I came to the support community. I thought I was doing something wrong as I am new to 3D in Photoshop. If I tried 3D after this update instead of before I would have thought my configuration just wasn't good enough and not persued how to correct it.

Anyway, thanks again for your quick and accurate reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This page is linked at the top of the showing what is new.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

At the bottom of that page is a link to "known issues" - scroll down and 3D with 22.4 is in that list

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL OF ADOBE and completely disregards the many PROFESSIONALS that use this tool every day. Imagine picking up a hammer to drive in a nail and instead the hammer bonks you on the head. This is why MONOPOLIES are bad.

When will it be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will what be fixed? 

To use 3D check that preference, restart Photoshop and leave it checked.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Now it's not wotking on my iMac. I checked "Deactivate Native Canvas" and re-started twice. Still no 3D. (It was working here before.) Any suggestions (besides getting a new Mac)?

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 8.46.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First a basic check, I have to ask 🙂 , is your document in RGB mode?

Second , is your GPU being recognised (check in Preferences > Performance) as this may inform which options below may apply to you.

There are several things at play here.

1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

2. Led by the changes being made above, Adobe introduced new GPU checks in 23.3.1. Unfortunately, these caused issues and have therefore been revised for v22.4. That means that many GPUs that incorrectly did not work in 22.3.1 will now be seen in 22.4 or 22.4.1 and will function.

3. Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

4. Unfortunately, the move to update the core graphics functions will mean that some older GPUs will no longer be suitable. If you are using 22.4 and your GPU is still not recognised (and you only have a single GPU enabled – conflicting GPUs remain an issue) then you could try and force Photoshop to use your older GPU by creating a file PSUserConfig.txt containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/
Note though that this is requires 22.4 or 22.4.1 and is not officially supported by Adobe, so may cause other issues – so you do it at your own risk

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again - and oops, I was in CMYK.

Still a lot to get used to in 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem - glad to help

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have or can you recommend a video tutorial for 3D in Photoshop?

Specifically, I am having trouble with different layers being in different positions. I am making one object in Photoshop with extrusion (actually rotating a line drawing around the Y axis), and a second object (a logo) created in Illustrator and brought into a Photoshop 3D layer. The extrusion part is lying flat on the ground while the logo seems to be floating at an angle that I can't position precisely on the extruded part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try merging the 3D layers (select both then use menu 3D >Merge 3D layers) which will put both objects on the same layer. Then you can move and position them together.

As for tutorials, I originally started with these :https://design.tutsplus.com/series/using-photoshops-3d-capabilities--psd-18886

They were written for CS6 and most of 3D in Photoshop is the same. But be aware that the materials system changed and now uses a Base/Metal/Roughness material system. Most other items are similar though.

If you are really serious about 3D modelling though I would recommend you do as I do and use a proper 3D application. Blender 3D is free and very powerful and you can bring the model into Photoshop for your printing workflow or if you get into rendering - render in Blender is very fast and the rendered image can be brought back to Photoshop for further work/compositing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I searched for 3D tutorials and noticed the ones for CS6 and thought they were too old but now I see they are helpful.

I have played around with OnShape and find it very good for things I have made for a 3D printer but I wanted to add a logo (Illustrator converted to a .dwg or .dxf) but OnShape had a hard time with it. 

If I go the other way (bring OnShape into PhotoShop) will that work? Looks like I would have to bring an STL file into PhotoShop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to import using a format recognised by Photoshop such as DAE (Collada), OBJ, 3DS, U3D, and KMZ (Google Earth).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this - I have been going around in circles for the last 24 hours trying to figure out what I have done...your solution works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! This is the correct solution. The Native Canvas needs to be deactivated. It took me two hours now, including reinstalling Photoshop, Updating Drivers Again, trsahing my preferences - nothign worked, all the YT Tutorials were ancient and telling me to check my 3D setting....yeah... I was working with 3D perfectly fine last week...

Glad that this is solved now, But I'm furios that this cost me my morning and 2 hours of time.. it's very expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - I'm glad it is sorted for you now.

The fix is published in the "known issues" section of the release notes. It's always worth a read, preferably before updating to a newer version. Similarly I would recomend anyone to turn off auto-updates and check the release notes and forums before updating just in case a new issue is found that affects your workflow.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GRAZIE. you made my day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue when updated, thank you, is correct deactivating Native Canvas and reopen photoshop and its ready to fly in 3d again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Omg - you made my day.

Thank you so much!!!

I was totally lost for days (cause I was searching for an solution in the net, but not here...).

Everything went right, and then... one moment it broke all up by no reason.

Tried really everything else.

(Profanity removed by moderator) awesome.

Thx 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

今天使用photoshop 3D 依然顯示異常,1)”background” go to postcard ,2)”text” go to new Extrusion from selected layer,相關圖像和text都不顯示了或出現一層灰色條紋覆蓋,我嘗試reset 3d就出現這個問題,而且不顯示3d camera 圖。希望能盡快幫助解決。thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Did you carry out the action described earlier in this thread and Deactivate Native Canvas then close and restart Photoshop?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled previous issue and I'm not comfortable updating until I know issues are fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines