• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K and older CS4 Photoshop. Small menus.

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

I was perfectly happy with my old Nikon D300, and with a older camera PS CS4 works fine for me.

Upgrading to newer camera also means upgrade to newer software, that's a huge step for me, so I been fine with what i have... Until I upgraded to a 4K monitor!

Most stuff adjusted automatically in W10, and everything looks very crisp and clear. But PS menus got so tiny, I can't se them. The roll bar menus looks right, but to find the right one requires a magnifying glass?

I red that the latest versions of PS got a setting for 200% icons. But what about us with older versions?

I been googling around, and found all kinds of fixes involving register hacks in windows, adding scripts in the PS folder, and more.. Really???

I did try some of them, but on my PC and version of software, it didn't work, so i'm stuck with a useless Photoshop CS4?

A small update for older versions from Adobe would be much appreciated.

Is/will there be a solution for this?

And NO, i don't want to upgrade to a new PS. The one I got, i payed for in full. And it would be a shame if a monitor upgrade would be the limit for Photoshop.

There is no reason why it should not adjust automatically, like most other windows programs, is there?

Any help would be much appreciated.

/Kristian.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 16, 2016 Apr 16, 2016

if you didn't find the solution I Just got my CS4 to work on WIN 10 with a 4k display. THE CS6 manifest file doesn't work on CS4 because of the .dll error.. this is the perfect solution - third party link. But this manifest worked perfectly.

[XML] photoshop CS manifest - Pastebin.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You so much!! I literally went back and deleted all of the hacks and did this.......... PERFECT!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution didn't quite work for me but what did was under the same settings choosing to to run the program in compatibility mode and selecting Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! I have been looking for 6 months for your solution. I have a surface pro 6 windows 10 and following your EASY instruction CS3 now works. Thank you so much. I don’t use photoshop regularly and didn’t want to pay s monthly fee to use CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BEST FIX here. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah. So glad  I found this solution. Been wrestling with this problem since January, 2020. This solution works for Lightroom 5 as well. I am overjoyed. A million thanks!!!

Arni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. After hours of searching, and almost not scrolling down on this thread to your post, your's was the fix that I found to work. Thank you so much for your post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this for a friend who just got a new 4k laptop with the latest Windows software and her old version CS5. 

Right-click > Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings > Click on Override high DPI... and change dropdown to System.  Click OK > Apply and give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes on windows 10 there is that option. On windows 7 and 8 a register update and external manifest file can also force windows sacling on  Photoshop.  Unlike Adobe Photoshop Scaling both Image and Photoshop UI will be scaled..   Adobe Photoshop scaling will only scales Photoshop UI.  So when you zoom to 100% you image actual pixels will be displayied with your display's high resolition,  not a scaled version.   If Windows scalling used you will never be viewing your image's actual pixels. You will only see the scaled image windows displays for you. The onlt time Photoshop displaye you imags actual pixels is  when you zoom to 100%.  That image will be scalled by Windows.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, ron-rrwd!! I just got a Surface Book 2 but do not wish to upgrade from CS4 at the moment. After much lamentation, frustration and use of a magnifying glass to see the Photoshop menus on my screen I found your fix, and it seems to have worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And an Even Better Solution FOR 4K Monitor + Windows 10 (I TESTED PERSONALLY)
NOTE: MAKE SURE PROGRAM IS CLOSED FIRST

1. Simply go into the "Properties" of "Adobe Photoshop CS4" Shortcut
      (RIGHT CLICK ON ICON/SHORTCUT > PROPERTIES)
2. Select one of the Upper Tabs named "Compatibility"
3. Second to LAST Button should say "Change high DPI Settings" Click on it.
4. Make sure to CHECKMARK the following options:
4.1 Checkmark the first box "Use this setting to fix scaling......."

4.2 From the FIRST DROP DOWN MENU Select "I open this program."
4.3 Checkmark "Override HIGH DPI Scaling"
4.4 From the SECOND DROP DOWN MENU Select "System (Enhanced)"
5. Click "OK" and that extra window will close.
6. On the remaining window, just to be absolutely certain that the settings stick. I always Click "Apply" and "OK" one more time.

And it is Done.
It has Worked for me, Hopefully it will work for you too!
Best of Luck

Archie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I tried this method and every other method on this entire forum and unfortunately nothing has worked, not even this one. I'm trying to fix the scaling on Adobe Photoshop CS2. Should I just get a newer version? Or is there a different method for CS2? Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one heck of an ask to get 15 year old Photoshop version to dive a 4K monitor.  Even with the current version of Photoshop, I would not chose a full 4K screen, although I guess it would be OK with Photoshop set to 200%.  I personally use a 2560 X 1440 screen, but at 31 Inch to make the pixels aceptably large.   

If you do a bit video then it can be an even bigger problem, with Premiere Pro of the same era not supporting modern video formats.

What I can tell you is that there is little comparison between Photoshop CS2 and the current versions.  Things like selection, for instance, are breath takingly clever now.  You can get a close to perfect selection with a single click or drag now.  So even if you think CS2 does all you need, without knowing what you are missing, you just might be wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble with compatibilty settings is that they merely turn an expensive hi-res display into a low res monitor.

The new PS versions are designed to work directly with the OS to adjust the UI scaling whilst leaving the image itself unscaled.

However, Trevor's point is well made. Small 4K screens are a great marketing tool, but are not ideal for critical image adjusting. A pixel resolution of around 100-120 ppi is a great sweet spot for usable resolution that still reveals visible detail like noise in an image at 100% zoom.  However for 4K that would require a very large screen.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C: Program Files - Adobe - Adobe Photoshop CS4 

Sroll down to the Photoshop blue icon

right click - properties

Compatability Tab

Compatabiltiy Mode

Check the box - Run this program in compatablilty mode for 

Choose Windows 8 

Click on the tab for Change Hight DPI Settings

Click the box - Override High DPI Scaling Behavior

Click on system underneath this box 

Change to System 

Ok - Apply - Exit

Restart 

Shoule have the big menus now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines