A strange grey, concentric mesh is covering my TIF image when opened in Photoshop from RawTherapee

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is extremely noisy, 12,600 ISO, and I use it for experiments with noise reduction. In this case it only had capture sharpening, color denoising and a bit brightening added, before I was opened in Photoshop. I would change the image to a smart object and let Topaz DeNoise AI do its thing as a plug-in.

But I didn't get that far. When opened in Photoshop the TIF image is covered by a kind of 3D like mesh, grey as a spiders web. If I change the geometry of the image in RawTherapee, the mesh may shift from having one center to two centers.

See attached example.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

A strange grey, concentric mesh is covering my TIF image when opened in Photoshop from RawTherapee

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is extremely noisy, 12,600 ISO, and I use it for experiments with noise reduction. In this case it only had capture sharpening, color denoising and a bit brightening added, before I was opened in Photoshop. I would change the image to a smart object and let Topaz DeNoise AI do its thing as a plug-in.

But I didn't get that far. When opened in Photoshop the TIF image is covered by a kind of 3D like mesh, grey as a spiders web. If I change the geometry of the image in RawTherapee, the mesh may shift from having one center to two centers.

See attached example.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera was that taken with?

Do you see anything similar if you open the camera raw version of the image into adobe camera raw?

Do you see that in Raw Therapee?

If so, you can try different Demosaicing methods.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Sony A7R3 with the Tamron 28-75, 2.8 lens for Sony.

2. These adjustments are not available i ACR. The same DNG file opens fine in ACR and can be adjusted ad libitum, and no problem occur when opened in Photoshop - but it makes no sense to compare two workflows from two different raw converters and with different adjustments.

3. No, the mesh is not visible until the image is opened in Photoshop.

4. The attached example was demosaiced with LMMSE algorithm, as the image is severely noisy. But the mesh is showing up with AMaZE too.

Further, the problem is the same when I use the native ARW raw file.

I wonder if anybody has experienced such a pattern in Photoshop too? - despite the circumstances.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you open the original .ARW file into adobe camera raw and magnify the image to 100% or greater magnification you don't see any pattern like that?

In Raw Therapee with the original .ARW file if you magnify that do you see the pattern and if so does using different Demosaicing methods make it go away?

Can you perhaps provide the original .arw file for download at somewhere like Dropbox so we can give it a look see?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. True.

2. It doesn't show up in RT at any magnification. The phenomenon exists with AMAzE, LMMSE and IGV. I have not tried them all, those three would be relevant for the image. But as far as I can see while peeking at 100 pct in Photoshop the grid still exists there. But when opened in Topaz DeNoise AI the mesh is gone.

3. You may share the content of this "Andy" folder with Andy:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8u4t5vg6pd2bd1i/AAAxC1jvmCj9ngDtOLYg0JJSa?dl=0

Thank you for your interest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with the file itself. Here's what I see at 100% in ACR vs. Photoshop:

a7riii_noise.png

The "mesh" appears to be a faulty lens profile correction. We've seen some cases of that in ACR/Lr earlier.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a plausible explanation regarding the character of the mesh. Thank you both.

I want to stress that this lens correction originates from RawTherapee. But I have not seen this faulty behavior before though I have used the same lens correction a hundred times - just without the same amount of noise.

I have forwarded this information to Andy Astbury who is somewhat connected to the RT development team.

PS: After the image was processed in Topaz DeNoise AI the mesh became visible again in that app too as well as in the output to Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0