• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aargh! Photoshop 2020, 2021 & 2022 closes when I try and open ANY file

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Photoshop 2021 and also have 2020 installed via Creative Cloud. Although it is not on my Windows 10 'open menu,' 2022 is available from the CC  Desktop.

Anyway, prior to 21/10/2020, Photoshop 2020 was running fine.

Having now installed 2021 and 2022, the programs open, but when I try and open ANY file type, it simply shuts down without giving any error or warning message.

Basically, I cannot open or edit any file.

I can create a new file, but even then when I try and open a previously saved file, it still crashes with no warning message(s.)

I can also save, open and re-edit the file I crteated within Photoshop, but when I attempt to open another previsoulsy saved file, it crashes.

I have turned off Graphics Card Accelaration in Preferences and have updated to the latest Nvidia Graphics driver, so none of these suggestion were any good for me.

I'm forking out £120 a year for this and lightroom and expect it to simply work.

Below are the specs of my system, so it is more than capable of running this program.

Photodom2000_0-1603366748173.png

********************HELP*************************

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

Adobe have basically rendered GPU's older than 4 years useless with this update and I'm afraid your GPU was released in 2014

You can see the GPU FAQ here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Unsupported graphics cards
If your graphics card is older than 4 years, GPU functionality in Photoshop may be limited or not supported.

You could try resetting your PS preferences

image1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe have basically rendered GPU's older than 4 years useless with this update and I'm afraid your GPU was released in 2014

You can see the GPU FAQ here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Unsupported graphics cards
If your graphics card is older than 4 years, GPU functionality in Photoshop may be limited or not supported.

You could try resetting your PS preferences

image1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have re-set both Photoshop 2020 & 2021 so that neither version uses the Graphics processor, and they still cannot open any files

The program merely shuts down with no warning message(s).

I realise that Adobe want to get the best out of the software, but does this mean that when every every Graphics Card reaches it's 4 year 'expiry' date, it can no longer be used in Photoshop?

Talk about creating a mountain of waste instead of trying to ensure legacy support in the code.

They are simply suggesting that everyone with a perfectly functioning graphics card that was released pre October 2016 should now throw it away and spend undereds of pounds or dollars buying a new graphis card which they may need to again replace in 4 years time.

What idiot came up with this suggestion as a working policy?

I am waiting on delivery of Luminar AI to arrive and if this can do what Photoshop does for me, then it might be time to think of getting an alternative to Lightroom (which interestingly enough still allows basic graphics accelaration with my card,) and moving on from Adobe.

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this is not the correct answer even although I have accidentally marked it as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg

I wonder if they actively monitor these forums?

I know they are basically self help, but surely someone, somewhere in the massive conglomerate that is Adobe, works in a Customer Support department that can reach out and help people with these issues?

My PC is self build, runs a high end processor, has 32 GB of memory and tons of hard drive space. IT works perfectly with every other programme I have, and worked with 2020 until the latest upgrade (although there were a few minor glitches that I could work around.)

But this latest one is only what I can call a fiasco.

Thanks for some pointers to alternatives. It's not the way I really  want to go as I have invested many years in getting everything set up to run with Adobe products, but at the moment I cannot edit anything in Photoshop.

So wpould someone in Adobe, please treat all of these posts as urgent as at the minute I am unable to do any work.

Link removed by moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who's Greg LOL

The Adobe Feedback Forum is monitored by Adobe engineers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops.

Sorry Ged.

That's what being angry get's you.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops

That's what anger does for you.

Cheers

Dim(Dom)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to all,

I'm having the same problems here in Brazil. It's strange how the media is not reporting on this issue yet. Nobody is talking about this fiasco in any specialized media channels. Meanwhile I'm still unable to do any work for the last 3 days, but still paying Adobe. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my graphics card is brand new, a Geforce GTX 1650 Super with 4GB GDDR6 dram, it was working fine until the upgrade to PS 2021 three days ago. C'mon people, I don't want to have to change to another software, I use PS since 1994! Please don't abandon your costumers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I just upgraded my gfx card to Geforce GTX 1650 Super with 4GB GDDR6 that is the maximum my compter's motherboard and power supply can handle ... so if what I read here is true about photoshop not supporting older gpus this mean that I need to toss my computer and my graphics card ...  this is really frustrating .... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this figured out? I finally unistalled and reinstalled version from two times ago and can use it. I'm POed tho. Lost 2 hours this morning dealing with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.
You can disable the GPU, to prevent the crashes. I went back to Photoshop 2020…
My graphics card: Nvidia Quadro 2000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Photoshop 2021 and also the recent update and I can only open PSDs, PNGs and PDFs in Photoshop.  When I open RAW files, or JPGs or TIFs, Photoshop crashes.  I also do have the Nvidia Quadro K2000, and updated the driver and nothing has changed.  I have used all the workaround and fixes I was supposed to try according to Adobe.  I tried going back and reinstalling (several times) Photoshop 2020 and now that crashes too.  I disabled the GPU several times and nothing changes.  Cache settings are good.  I only get the crash report box and that's it.  I reset all my preferences.  I did it all and nothing changes.  Everything worked until I tried to upgrade!  Won't be in a hurry to do that ever again!  

So does anyone have any other suggestions?  Desperate to get back to work!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to disable GPU in Camera Raw preferences. Not main Photoshop. That's where your GPU crashes.

The default is to let ACR open jpegs and TIFFs "with settings", as the wording is in ACR preferences. What this means is that jpegs and TIFFs that already have ACR metadata will continue to open through ACR.

And your ACR is crashing in the GPU.

You can set ACR preferences to disable jpeg and TIFF support. That will also bypass the problem. But it will not solve it.

The Quadro K- series 2000 may be too old. The newer P-series works well (I have a P2000 in one machine and a P600 in another).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I can't get into Camera Raw settings to adjust...it just crashes.  I will work on a new graphics card.  😞  Would have loved some warning before installing, maybe a "graphics card compatibility test" beforehand, and now I can't even go back to the 2020 version...it crashes doing the same things.  If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it from Bridge or Photoshop. You can get to ACR preferences from both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop crashes when I do it from there.  If I do it in Bridge, it doesn't crash but won't go into preferences either.  Just goes back to like I never issued a command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any update from Adobe?

Are you guys going to fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines