Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR an HDR 32 bits

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.
When I do a 32 bit HDR Photoshop tells me if I want to go to Camera Raw to adjust the tones. It goes to ACR without problems, I make the adjustments and when I tell it to quit ACR, Photoshop flattens the layer and transforms it into 16 bits. I would like to keep the 32-bit version and also as a smart object. How could I do this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Camera Raw no longer supports 32 Bits/Channel as described here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/camera-raw-merge-to-hdr-pro-in-32-bi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a workaround if you have Lightroom.

a. With 32 bit image open in Photoshop - Save as a flattened TIFF file (with 32 bit floating point)

b. Import that 32 bit TIFF to Lightrooom

c. In Lightroom use menu  Library >Convert Photo to DNG

d. Still in Lightroom use Photo > Edit in > Open as smart object in Photoshop.

e. This opens a 16 bit Photoshop file with a Smart Object.   Double click on the SO and it will open in Camera Raw using the full 32 bit image

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this ever be updated?  Please.  Some of us need an easy workflow for HDR and this would be it...  If there was an option to keep it 32 bit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this ever be updated?  Please.  Some of us need an easy workflow for HDR and this would be it...  If there was an option to keep it 32 bit!

By @Boka2112

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i'm not mistaken you can do your HDR Merge in ACR and using the new HDR mode keep the merge as 32 bit.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If i'm not mistaken you can do your HDR Merge in ACR and using the new HDR mode keep the merge as 32 bit.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html

By @Jeff Arola

Yes, I just tested and it works IF the save is configured as outlined in your URL for a supported file format. 

Settings.png

The TIFF was indeed 32-bit from the above save. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines