• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action Recording - Opening Multiple Files & Secondary Actions not recording.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 20 years, photoshop actions still won't open files in the same order as opened during recording.  This has caused me many headaches, as I often have to repeat the same processes to fix issues from rendered 3d sprites and channels.  It would be nice to have this fixed, as I'm sure I've lost a year of my life opening files.

Many times I include actions within actions. When playing back and action that is included within another action, anytime I put a STOP in the secondary action (I often put a stop in actions to open nonspecific files). It will not record the action in the secondary action if that secondary action hits a hard STOP.  For instance.  I open a Targa file which has 12 images, and 3 channels  My action takes the targa an splices it into 3 psds with 12 images each. (3 LODs at 4 angles).  STOP open 36 images to copy and paste into.RESUME Copy and paste 36 images from PSDs to 36 open images.  

A) images do not open in the same order every time, so I have to insert a stop and open them myself. 

B) If I included this action in a another action, it will not record the action if there is a hard STOP (even at the end) and after subsequent images are open, I no long have the play back feature.  Not only that, but because it hit a STOP, it didn't record that action as played to the STOP, and if I continue the action from that point it will record, but I've missed a couple of steps. 

C) For more clarification (loose example).  if I create a new action running 2 actions First one is to split the Targa files into three 12-layered PSDs (3 LODs) and another action that has a  hard STOP open files, RESUME copy and paste the PSDs to the 36 bmp files, the initial 2nd action will NOT record in the new action at all because there is a STOP to open files.  It will however record when I resume the action and that is useless. since I need to open files first.

I have tried to explain this best as I can.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may not be a great time for it but I think you should look into Photoshop Scripting. 

Your process is not clear to me based on your description, why would you include a Stop in an Action to open an image instead of including the opening in the Action with »Toggle dialog« on? 
Maybe screenshots could help illustrate your issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines