• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action to create an editable vector path (live shape)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create an Action to make a rectangle with rounded corners, as a path.

I draw a rectangle with the rectangle tool, enter the size of the rectangle and the corner radius. This creates a Work Path. Then I start recording the action, select the work path and choose "insert path" from the action menu. The action recorded is not a simple rectangle with simple parameters, but a long list of commands for each anchor point, starting like this:

To: path component list

path component

operation: add

etc.

The problem is, if I play the action, I get a rectangle that is not editable. It is the right size and shape but when I select it with the path selection tool, it doesn't show the properties of the vector shape, only the document properties.

This was obviously possible with previous versions of PS as I have a number of older actions that do create a rectangle with editable "Live Shape Properties". Is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks for any help.

Ellen

Edit to say I'm using PS CC 2017.0.1 on a Mac with Sierra 10.12.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to record creating a Shape Layer right away instead of going through a Work Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason why you would not just use a Live Shape layer which is already editable? Seems like a very round about way to get the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I could get to where I want to go using a shape layer, but all I really want is a path to set to a selection and not a new layer. This is just one step of a much longer action, one part of which is to give rounded corners to an image, regardless of the size of the image. I would also like to be able to change which corners are rounded and their radius if needed. I tried various approaches from actions found here and there on the web (thanks to the generous people who do put their creations online). None do exactly what I need but they pointed me in what seems like the right direction.

I wonder if it has something to do with the version of PS used.  If someone more knowledgeable that I am can create a command that makes an editable path with PS 2017, I can keep trying. If not, I'll just use the path I get and forget about being able to edit it.

To tell the truth, I just did a bit of testing and it appears that the fact that the path is not editable doesn't really matter for my Action. So, at this point, it's just a matter of wanting to know if the difference is my fault because I'm doing something wrong or if it's just the way PS works now.

Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I could get to where I want to go using a shape layer, but all I really want is a path to set to a selection and not a new layer.

Why exactly is an editable Layer not good enough?

In particular in an Action I would assume it would provide editability that a Selection that presumably is used for a Layer Mask would lack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there are no layer masks involved here. These are just the final steps for images that have been prepared previously and need no more editing at all except for generating a final jpg for use on the web. But I'll try it out using a shape layer and delete everything not needed at the end.

Still wondering why the path isn't editable, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what do you use the Selection if not as a Mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's where I found a free action that I'm trying to adapt to my needs:

http://www.polishedpicture.com/free-actions/free-all-purpose-rounded-corner-action/

There are probably other ways to get the same result, but this one is simple and does the job. Except for the radius that is not the one I need, so I have to record it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t find where the atn-file can be downloaded from that page …

I do not understand why you want to create a Selection at all and not use the Path as a Vector Mask (or as a Shape Layer and then use the Shape Layer as the basis of a Clipping Group for example)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is near the end of the post, just after the images, in the word "here" at the end of the sentence “I wanted to share the action set with you, and it is available here.”

As I said, I'm sure there are many ways to do what I want. This method was available and easy, and trying to duplicate it triggered the question I asked at the beginning of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

This method was available and easy, and trying to duplicate it triggered the question I asked at the beginning of this thread.

Quite frankly the Action seems a bit complicated, but I suppose that’s in part because it is intended to handle various dimensions.

If you are at least somewhat familiar with JavaScript that may provide a significantly more flexible automation option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The action I made works fine, even with a non-editable rectangle, although I still don't know why the step to create this simple rectangle is so complicated. I figure it doesn't matter and is just how Photoshop does its thing now.

And yes, I'll look into scripting, although I haven't done any programming or scripting for years. You may find me asking stupid questions in the scripting forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines