• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action to sharpen and resize all in go go.

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have 2 free Photoshop actions, one from Steve Perry, and another from Alex Nail, which resize my (tiff (or jpg)) files to various sizes, and sharpens them for use in forums etc.

Does anyone know of an other actions that perform these two tasks in the same way as Steve or Alex's actions?

I like to resize to 1800, 1400, 1200, or 1080 pixels on the horizontal side og the images, and be sharpened for maximum sharpness for viewing them (usually on forums, but on social media too).

Thanks.
Paul.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have any contact with any of actions above mentioned. You want similar actions, why? What you want to change, or what is wrong with actions you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do work - however I was curious if somebody had written an improved action giving better results.

Steve Perry's: https://backcountrygallery.com/sharpen-and-resize-photos-for-the-web/

Alex Nail's: https://www.alexnail.com/blog/tutorials/resize-and-sharpen-for-web-v5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How old are thos actions, and do they use a particular interpolation, or keep the most recently used one?  In my experience reducing image size and sharpening depend entirely on thje original image, but if the images you are working with all come from the same cameras and lenses, you can get away with using the same settings.  I never used bicubic sharper (or automatic) because with a good quality original it would create a nasty harsh over sharpened look. 

So when I had to batch a large number of images I made an action that copied the layer, aplied High Pass to the upper layer, and changed its blend mode to overlay.  This applied the last used settings for High Pass, so you had to do the first manually to make sure you had sensible settings.

The same action resized and saved as and was triggered with a Function key.  When you use save as in an action, it will save to the same folder selected when creating the action, but this was not a big inconvenience.  When you finished the run, you just needed to select all the new files in the save as folder, and move them to the required target folder.  Then use Bridge to batch rename the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not savvy enough to understand how they work, except they make the photo smaller (1Mb-ish) or smaller if I use lower px sizes.

They were created in 2013 and 2017 I think...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to create an action that plays the required resize action, then applies the required sharpening action... However, without knowing how the actions that you mention are created, this may or may not help...

Are you using the actions in an interactive way, resizing, viewing at 100% or 1:1 and then evaluating/sharpening? Or is this something that you wish to do as unattended batch processing (trading off the evaluation step for productivity)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've linked the actions in the above reply Stephen so you can look at their processes.

Basically what I do (and wondered if there were any other (improved outcome) actions is once I have processed my image, I run one of those actions to resize it (for example 1200px) and it sharpens it too.

But there may be more which make the sharpening a bit better as it reduces the px sizes. Then again, these 2 may be as good as it gets...

Just looking to see if there were alternatives.   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like beauty, sharpening is in the eye of the beholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the following extension panel or download the v4 actions for the "Picture Postcard Workflow" from Dan Margulis, which includes sharpening:

https://www.ledet.com/margulis/ppw

If you install the panel, there is a lot of in-depth PDF documentation.

There are so many options for sharpening, it is both an art and science, however, one should always take into account image content and output/viewing conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen, I'll take a look.

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the actions you put above in the links
I have created a stop where you can enter the value that is useful for you
I called them personal

see if it's okay with you.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dnp23d45c45yv6i/Steve_Perry%2527s_Web_Sharpen_mod.atn.zip/file 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Looks OK to me. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines