• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask Transparent Glass in Photoshop now!

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easily mask transparent glass in Photoshop

Have you ever wondered how to make something look like it's behind glass in Photoshop?
In this post, you will learn how to extract glass objects, and blend transparent glass with any background in Photoshop using blend modes. You can download this PSD (Photoshop Document) and open it in Photoshop to follow along with the tutorial.

Screenshot_1.jpg

❶ Convert the bottle into a smart object

Converting the Bottle layer into a smart object allows you to work Non-Destructively, which means that you can always go back later and adjust the transformations, filters, and adjustments after you have applied them.

• Click on the Bottle layer to highlight it
  • Go to Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object

Screenshot_2.jpg

❷ Create a duplicate layer

• Ensure you have the bottle layer selected
  • Press CTRL+J (Windows) or CMD+J (MAC) to make a copy of the layer
  • Now you have a duplicate bottle layer named Bottle Copy to work on so that you can keep the original bottle layer intact
  • Highlight the Bottle Copy layer and press CTRL+G (Windows) or CMD+G (macOS) to create a Group Layer
  • Double click Group Layer’s name to rename it and type  Final Composition

Screenshot_4.jpg

❸ Create a mask to blend the bottle with the background

• Make sure the Bottle Copy Layer is highlighted
  • Choose the Quick Selection Tool
  • Select the area outside of the bottle
  • If the initial selection contains unwanted areas, you can remove them by pressing the Alt/Option key and clicking on the areas to subtract them from the selection
  • Once your selection is complete, click on Select and Mask at the top to open the Select and Mask window
  • You can refine the selection by increasing the smoothness to 10-15 and clicking OK
  • Next, highlight the group layer (Final Composition)
  • Click on the Layer Mask button on the bottom of the Layers panel to create a mask
  • In the properties panel, set feathering somewhere between 1 and 5 to refine the selection further

Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg

❹ Make the bottle look transparent

• Rename the Bottle Copy Layer to Dark Value since we will be using a layer blending mode to remove the white from the bottle
  • Select the Dark Value layer
  • Go to Image > Adjustments and choose Black & White
  • Without touching the setting, click OK
  • This will turn the bottle into black & white
  • Now, change the Layer Blending mode to Multiply
  • The bottle should now look transparent

Screenshot_11.jpg

❺ Make additional adjustments

• Go to Image > Adjustments > Levels and move the middle slider slightly to the right to increase the contrast

Now we have Luminosity in the bottle, but we’re still missing Hue & Saturation. Let’s add them to the mix:

• Create a copy of the layer named Bottle
  • Rename the layer Hue & Saturation
  • Drag it to the Final Composition Group

Screenshot_13.jpg

Note: Make sure to put the Hue & Saturation layer above the Dark Value layer and turn on the Hue & Saturation layer by clicking the Eye icon

• Highlight the Hue & Saturation layer
  • Choose Color from the Blending Mode drop-down menu

Screenshot_15.jpg

In the last steps, we brought back some color to the bottle. Now, we will bring the specular highlights back:

• Make a copy of the Dark Value layer
  • Choose Screen from the blending mode menu
  • Go to Image > Adjustments and choose Levels
  • Decrease the brightness by Sliding the left & middle sliders to the right side as shown below

Screenshot_16.jpg

❻ Fix the cork

When we edited the bottle to blend it with the background, the cork became darker. Now we will bring back the original luminosity to the cork.

• Make a copy of the original layer named Bottle
  • Rename the new layer "Cork"
  • Drag the Cork layer into the Final Composition group and move it to the top of the layer stack
  • Hold the Alt/Opt key and click on the Layer mask button to create a black mask on the Cork layer

Screenshot_19.jpg

• Use the brush tool to paint over the Cork with white to reveal the original cork

Screenshot_20.jpg

• Add a tint to match the color of the bottle with the background
  • Right Click or Ctrl Click the Hue & Saturation layer to open the layer menu
  • Choose Blending Options
  • Go to Color Overlay and click on the Color to choose a color from the Color Picker dialog

Screenshot_21.jpg

• Decrease the Opacity of the Hue & Saturation layer to blend the tint

Screenshot_23.jpg

Add specular highlights to the bottle

• Create a new layer in the Final Composition Group
  • Name the new layer Specular Highlights
  • Use the Brush tool to add a few brush strokes to the bottle’s neck
  • Click on Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to feather the edges of the strokes
  • Select the Specular Highlights layer and change the Layer Blending mode to Color Dodge

Screenshot_24.jpg

❽ Add Distortion 

Since the inside of the bottle is not realistic yet, we need to add some distortion

• Create a copy of the background layer
  • Name the layer Distortion
  • Drag the Distortion layer into the Final Composition group and put it at the bottom of the stack

Screenshot_25.jpg

• Go to Edit > Transform and choose Warp

Screenshot_26.jpg

• Distort the background by holding the blue dots from each of the sides, as shown below, then hit Enter/Return to confirm the transformation

Screenshot_27.jpg

❾ Add Shadow

• Create a new layer above the original Background layer, and paint Black under the bottle using the Brush Tool

Screenshot_28.jpg

• Enhance the scene by adding a Tint to the whole image, to add a color tint click on the Adjustment Layer button on the layers panel and choose Color Lookup
  • Drag the Color Lookup 1 layer outside of the Final Composition group and put it on top of the layer stack
  • Open the Properties panel by going to Window > Properties
  • Choose a good-looking tint from the 3DLUT File drop-down menu
  • After decreasing the opacity of the Color Lookup 1 layer, the final image should blend well

Screenshot_31.jpg

And this is how the bottle looks on a different background

Screenshot_32.jpg

Related links:

Work with Smart Objects in Photoshop

How to use Layer Masks in Photoshop?

Adjustment Fill Layers in Photoshop 

Levels Adjustments in Photoshop 
Layer Blending modes in Photoshop 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is four clicks to make in Adobe Dimesnion but its nice that Photoshop can do it too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great dear, I will edit my store's that is [website link removed by moderator] images using this method of yours thankyou 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hold the Alt/Opt key and click on the Layer mask button to create a black mask on the Cork layer
    Use the brush tool to paint over the Cork with black to reveal the original cork.

To make visible parts in a layer mask (and already full black) we must paint with white.

"White shows, black hides."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the typo, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind me going off at a tangent, I love that we can click on your screen shots and see them as high res images.  I found it far more difficult to add images to posts after the forum software was changed, so I would greatly appreciate a rund down on your method.  Did you have to save each file to a local drive and upload, or were you able to paste them into the add image window?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

I agree this is quite a lengthy task as compared to the old forums, we've raised a few feature requests regarding this. I had to manually upload all the images here, I took screenshots while editing and then added each image separately.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I actually had been looking for something like that for a long time. And now here is this great challenge in my PS-experience start-up phase! Thank you for that!

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans,

Glad to know I came up with something that would help you with your Photoshop learning phase 🙂
Please let me know if you need any help with the process.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be a video. It's unclear the whole time which layer I should copy and which layer should take precedence over the others. This would be good maybe for someone who's done this process before, but not a novice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@elsieb64211074 wrote:

It's unclear the whole time which layer I should copy and which layer should take precedence over the others.

Please tell us the step number and the command you are on so we can better assist. For instance, if you are in Step 2, it's the Bottle layer you need to select and copy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Ensure you have the bottle layer selected
  • Press CTRL+J (Windows) or CMD+J (MAC) to make a copy of the layer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can also post a screen shot so we can see where you are having trouble.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines