• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add layer mask shortcut?

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is posible to add shortcut for "add layer mask"?

I can't find it. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi chochography,

Select Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and assign your own shortcuts for Layer>>Layer Mask>>Reveal All

9844.PNG

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chochography,

Select Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and assign your own shortcuts for Layer>>Layer Mask>>Reveal All

9844.PNG

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.... I was in "Panel Menus".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen shoot mask.png

 Did they remove this feature ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on the add layer mask icon in the bottom of the layers palette. If you have an active selection it will be usea for the layer mask content. Otherwise a Show all or Hide all layer mask will be the layer mask added. The Alt key held down will invert the layer mask.  Not held down show all.  Held down inverted hide all.   I'm quite sure alt would also invert an active selection layer mask.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole idea with asking for a shortcut is to not have to click on that button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not think alike.  To me using a shortcut means clicking one or more keyboard  keys or clicking mouse programmable button or clicking a pen button or clicking a UI element all seem to be clicking something. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To us, pressing multiple buttons is easier than holding mouse, finding tiny icon and clicking on that.

Everyones choices can be different. I think, it should be an option to change and assign a shortcut from keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but it wasn't asking for your recommendation. He was asking how to do something specific.

Also, you think they're all the same thing because you're using the same word again and again (even where it makes no sense). In all instances except for clicking a UI element, there is no moving a tiny object to overlay a tiny object with imperfect perscion. That takes quite a bit longer than pushing physical buttons that are underneath our fingers. No need for accuarcy, mouse speeds, or anything. Someone that uses shortcuts will *always* outspeed someone that uses mouse movements. 

So yes, if you ignore all their important differences than there are no important differences. If you don't however ignore the important differences than there are important differences, such as speed and ease of use. By the same logic you could argue eating food and eating cardboard are interchangable as in either case you are eating something. The devil is in the "something" that you're ignoring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you get a proper response to this question?
I too want a keyboard shorcut that does what the button at the bottom of the layer panel does. Reveal All or Reveal Selected depending if something is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. What do you think, how much time will pass before they hear us - 2020? Have a question, no answer.

Help us Adobe, plz. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I could ask the same, it is almost 2021. where is the KEYBOARD shortcut for the "add layer mask" option? As a concept artist, I am using this function dozens of times a day. Is there any reason why it is lock/disabled in the keyboard shortcuts panel??? And please do not rationalize what I need... I need KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for everyday work. Every artist uses that in their daily workflow and stopping flow while working with brushes just to click and search for the specific layer is extremely counterproductive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, most artists and illustrators keep a hand on the keyboard and click blindly without looking, that is the way how we keep our flow while painting. And that is why we need keyboard shortcut and not the option to click with mouse or pencil (most pencils buttons are already reserved for alt to pick a color and second mouse button to open brush selection panel, so for that reason that is not the option)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I, too was searching for 'create layer mask', but it is actually called 'Layer Mask > Reveal selected' in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu (Ctrl + Alt + K). Per default it doesn't have a shortcut. So I set Ctrl + Shift + M which wasn't used otherwise. (Ctrl + M is already in use)

PoYtjdOBvR.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly. THis was really helpfull 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is the one that actually helped me vs the "correct answer" at the top! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is great if you want to add a White layer mask, but what about a keyboard shortcut to add a Black layer mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to add a Black Layer mask you have to Press Alt and at the meantime, you have to press the Layer mask under the layer panel.

I hope you have understood.

Thanks
Regards,
Kibriya Munna

You can say Graphic design is my Passion. From 2019 I'm trying to be skilled as a Motion Graphics Designer. For Motion Graphic I use Adobe After Effects, Autodesk 3Ds Max and Adobe Premiere Pro and Cinema 4D. I normally use Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint for Graphic Designing. Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/kibriyamunna Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/kibriyacreations/ Please let me know what is on your mind and what are you thinking! Waiting for your response. Thank you. Wish you all the best. Pray for me too. Regards, Kibriya Munna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same question and found this thread. Then I realised that you could make an Action assigned to a Fn button for the inverted - black mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thinking, thanks.

Using "add layer mask" hundreds of time and I agree to click on the button is not as fast as a shortcut if you are using keyboard shortcuts already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a layer mask...ctrl/cmd i to invert.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been reminded about this by email.

I solved the problem by adding the following keyboard shortcuts which made sense to me.

cmd M add mask & cmd Shift M add inverted mask. These are found in the Edit Keyboard Shortcuts Aplications menu. Hope that helps.

Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 09.59.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create an action. 

david28616069kj6e_0-1677515725237.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized that the "Reveal All" and "Reveal Selelction" options as shown in the screenshots are what we are looking for when we want to create a layer mask.
But reveal all will always give you a white layer mask, even if a selection is active, so there is a difference between these two, just in case anyone was wondering! 

and if you always want a black layer mask, that woudl be "Hide All"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines