• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a transparent background behind aflower vine without losing parts of the flower vine

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am learning photoshop and am trying to design a wedding invite for my daughter using it. I took a photo of a flower vine and traced the parts I wanted with the polygonal lasso tool. I was able to add a black background and I liked how it looked (clean lines, etc.) Now I want to delete the background altogether and make it transparent so I can transfer it into publisher for the invite.
When I delete the background (or make it transparent) the process degrades the flower vine. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? And can you help me? Grateful in advance!
PS -HP laptop, windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What actually "degrades" can you show a before and after screenshot (at 100% zoom)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave,

I deleted what I had done and planned to start over when I remembered the community. I plan to work on this again and assuming I have the same issue, I'll post screenshots. Many thanks for replying so quickly. 

Linda

PS -There seems to be a quick and easy way to add a transparent background to a portrait shot. Are there any shortcuts for a image such as a flower vine with its "nooks and crannies" and whose green vine is close in color to its background of grass?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to File > New and enter the desired output size (width, height and resolution in pixels).  If unsure, ask your professional print shop what settings to use.  Choose Transparent background from the drop-list.  See screenshot.

image.png

Place your vine and other elements on new layers above the transparent background.

Custom Shapes over Transparent BackgroundCustom Shapes over Transparent Background

This way, each element can be manipulated individually.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy. I will try practising your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Stock is a good resource for wedding invitation templates.

https://stock.adobe.com/search?k=wedding%20invitation

Photoshop contains vector flourishes in the Custom Shapes Panel.  If you're just starting out, you'll find those easier to use than an unmasked raster image.

image.png 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, when you try to remove a background with a selection, whether it's the lasso tool or the magic wand, it really doesn't work very well even if you go to "Refine Edge."  Here's what you can get:

a magic wand.jpga magic wand 2.jpga magic wand3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Leslie, what you are showing is a problem with the selection, but the poster describes having a clean selection which worked well in seperating teh subject and showing it on a black background. It then degraded after the background was removed. That is what I wanted to see.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines