• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding multiple gradients to a layer

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running PS 2020 on Windows 10. In the past, I could use the gradient tool to add multiple gradients to a layer. Now every time I use the tool more than once on the same layer, it erases the previous gradient and leaves only the most recent one. Is there any way I can correct this? Or do I have to add a new layer for every individual gradient I apply? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Hi

Either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers. I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Gradient tool blend modes can still be used on masks as well as on normal layers.

In the attached example I first use a gradient left to right then set the tool to "Multiply" and used it top to bottom

davescm_0-1604156461011.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers. I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if you actually wrote HOW to do that. I've been a PS user for 20 years, and the gradient tool was more intuitive before this changed. It's quite silly that the second time you try to apply a gradient it nulls the first one. That makes litterally no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blend mode for a gradient has always existed in the options bar, both in the old version and the new. The behaviour of overwriting a gradient when in normal blend mode has also not changed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not correct, and probably why there are numerous posts on this topic here. Before CC the default behaviour was that you could make multiple gradients on the same layer/mask. Now the default behvaiour is the last gradient is overwritten by the new. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradients need to go from the hue/color to transparent and not color to color. For example, use Black to Transparent and not Black to White

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, set the mode of gradient TO MULTIPLE. I faced the same issue on PS2020 and it worked! It will allow you to apply many gradients  without creating new layers and blending them later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the first reply , given back in 2019, says "....set a blend mode for the gradient tool..."  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me with this problem ? I am facing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the same issue does the answer given earlier help i.e. either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers?  I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just updated to PS2021 and I am also trying to apply a gradient mask to an image. In the past I could add one mask and then had, I think, and "Add" option so I could lay down one gradient and then another within the same layer mask. I guess I am not seeing "TO MULTIPLE" in the mode dropdown list. Can you please clarify or maybe we are talking about two different things here. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradient tool blend modes can still be used on masks as well as on normal layers.

In the attached example I first use a gradient left to right then set the tool to "Multiply" and used it top to bottom

davescm_0-1604156461011.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! this has been driving me nuts all day lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'd like to do is file a class action lawsuit on Adobe for forcing us into program changes that take hours of our time to re-learn how to do simple things. It's absurd how complex they made making a simple gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changes? Making a gradient is as simple as it always was.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to do a gradient to transparent, I suddenly can't do multiple gradients on the same image b/c every time I try, the second one cancels the first one. In other words, if I do a gradient to transparent on the left side of an image and then do a second one on the right side, the left side gradient is reset to the way it orginally was and only the right side gradient appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when making multiple gradients the answer is as above - use blend modes on the gradient tool to combine the second gradient with the first.

This has not changed , it has always worked this way.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are NOT selecting "Multiply" from the "Layer" Tab dropdown.

You have to select "Multiply" from the Gradient's "Mode" dropdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fabulous spamwich! That was an a-ha moment for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note...
I was gonna advise to use Darken instead of Multiply, as you often just want to keep the darkest value, not block everything up. If your gradient is lighter than a value already on the mask, you often don't want it to darken the mask even further.

I thought that setting the Gradient Tool to Darken (despite its name) would respect the darker tones already there, yet if I add the same gradient again at the exact same spot, values are building as if I'm using Multply...? I would expect it to do nothing, as my gradient is not darker than the gradient I just layed down. Is that correct behavior...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'if I add the same gradient again at the exact same spot, values are building as if I'm using Multply...?'

Is your gradient solid to solid?  I don't seem to be able to replicate that with a solid gradient (i.e. any color to any color). Darken works as expected for such gradients and the second identical gradient causes no change. With a gradient to transparency I do see a difference but it is not a change in the color value but the transparency is building (in this case reducing) with each stroke. It works the same way with layer blend modes involving transparency.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is your gradient solid to solid?"

No, black to transparent, applied with an action to the exact same spot.

I  guess I didn't realize that where the gradient is not 100% black, it has transparency, and the next application of the same gradient can theoretically darken it (and does so).  Yet, in my mind, I'm laying down the exact same pixels and am feeling it shouldn't darken in Darken mode.
If my first gradient is 100%...75%...50%...25%...0%, and I follow that up with exactly the same, none of my consecutive gradient values are darker than what I applied the first time, and the darker result tends to catch me out... I always "understood" Darken should keep the darkest part only.
Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your thought process is indeed logical but all documentation  I've seen on blend modes is based on calculation of pixel colour values rather than transparency which appears to be applied separately.

You can achieve what you were attempting by blending black to white gradients in a layer mask. There darken works as you would expect.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines