• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustments won't hold

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scanned a few documents and am using Photoshop to pretty them up.  While Photoshop will accept my image and canvas size adjustments, it won't take any adjustments to Brightness, Contrast, Curves, etc.  I can preview them as I make the adjustments, but when I click on "OK," they revert back to the original.

I just tested this on some old photos that I recently scanned, on the same scanner, and editing them works fine.  I'm not sure what I did.

There is one thing I did different when scanning the documents from the pictures - I scanned the documents in B&W, and the photos were done in color.  I tried changing the "MODE" from "Grayscale" to "RGB Color," but that didn't fix the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, think that is the reason you scanned documents in B & W few adjustments not work properly....regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What you see before the adjustment’‚ effect »vanishes« may be artefacts owed to Photoshop’s caching. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See these screenshots taken of the same image at 50% and 100% magnification. 

cacheIssue100Percent.pngcacheIssue50Percent.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:  I  was going to make a video showing what's going on, but they are tax forms.  Let me try and make one and crop the corner out or something.  BRB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for a video, screenshots at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels/dialogs visible suffice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I made a video with everything blacked out, and uploaded it to my Google Drive, since the video link in this forum is rejecting my site.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UAWq6me7ztvHdxOzznosBBLgIbPNPcOW/view?usp=sharing

Now, something changed - after I blacked out my sensative information, the adjustments don't even show.  I can slide the sliders, but nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - which windows do you need open with the screenshots?

(And I just saw your post about not needing the video)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here - does this help?

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.08.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.08.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those screenshots do not show the Adjustment dialog (an Adjustment Layer with the Properties Panel visible might be preferable) but they are meaningless anyway as they have not been taken at View > 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen the screenshots I posted? 

Please evaluate the Adjustments at View > 100%; smaller magnifications are not reliable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I'm sorry, I'm going to just re-scan them next time I go to work as color images.  I'm really not following what you're talking aboout.  While I can tell you know what you're talking about, I don't understand.

Thanks for yout help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not that the images are grayscale. 

Most likely the issue is that you are not viewing the Adjustments at View > 100%. 

To speed up previewing Photoshop »cuts corners« and uses »stand-ins« that have a lower resolution than the original image. 

In the screenshots I posted the image has fully black pixels and filly white pixels, but no pixels that are gray. 

So the Adjustment I showed cannot affect them, but at a magnification lower than 100% the preview contains gray pixels, so the Adjustment appears to affect the image. 

Until one flattens the image, saves a jpg or views at View > 100%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cacheProblem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help at all?

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 10.03.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the screenshot supposed to illustrate?  

Where is the Adjustment Layer? 

Is there a change when you flatten the image or apply the Adjustment destructively or not? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the screenshots …

When you apply the Adjustments you want and they look like you want them to are you viewing the image at View > 100%? Then they should be just fine. 

If you view the image at a lower magnification and you confirm the Adjustments or flatten the image is there a change? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last try … 

Apparently you scanned a bitmap and converted that to grayscale. So there are only black and white pixels, no gray ones. 

So vertain adjustments may seem to have an effect at magnifications below 100% but actually they DO NOT. 

Each of these screenshots show the same image twice – at 16,7% and at 100%. 

Once a Curves Layer is active, in the second screenshot it is hidden. 

Note that the type in the image is unaffected at 100% while at 16,7% is seems to get darker or broader. 

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 08.37.19.pngScreenshot 2021-02-08 at 08.37.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - that is exactly what is happening.

And you say that this is becasue, while my image is a grayscale as far as PS is concerned, it only has one color, solid black, "000000."

And the reason I think I see adjustments when zoomed out is becasue PS uses those "Stand Ins" that you mentioned above to reduce the resolution in the view only to make it load faster.  OK, I get it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines