Highlighted

ADOBE ARE YOU TRYING TO FORCE DIGITAL ARTISTS TO QUIT USING PHOTOSHOP????

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I started up Photoshop CC(v21.2.2) as usual, and found my Wacom Tablet pen pressure stopped working. I tried testing the usb cable and the pen nib, tried updating the Wacom driver, tried restarting Photoshop,  tried resetting Wacom settings, and everything else. After like 30min of troubleshooting, I noticed that Photoshop installed its last update a day ago. Before my pen pressure were working normally. 

So I rolled back to a previous version of Photoshop CC (v21.2.1), my pen pressure is back, and I can finally draw normally, yay!! BUT! I realised one thing. MY PHOTOSHOP PREFERENCES AND TOOL SETTINGS AND BRUSHES ARE GONE.  I couldn't find them anywhere on computer, or on cloud. I'm just glad that my cloud saved documents are still there. SO yeah, why is that? After another 30min of search, I finally read on the adobe website that says: Preferences are not preserved when you do a rollback to a prior version/update . Prior to performing a rollback, make sure to back-up your preferences.

Adobe if you are trying to piss off your users, congradulations, you've succeeded and no other company on Earth can do as well as you do. WHY ISN'T THERE A WARNING WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO REVERT BACK TO PREVIOUS VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP??? WHY WASN'T THIS MESSAGE SHOWN TO ME WHEN I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL A PREVIOUS VERSION? WHY??? 

Thanks to you and your ambiguous "user guides", I have to spend another day or two perhaps longer to recreate my photoshop working space. Can't imagine what will happen if I'm on a deadline. Will your company bear any of my loses due to your stupid update which causes pen pressure to stop working? NO! 

I've been using photoshop for 6 years now, I have tolerated your Photoshop CS6 which doesn't have a colour wheel and will go EXTREMELY slow when you load a plugin that adds a colour wheel. I have tolerated your alt menu -- that is, everytime you press alt for hotkey, the interface will automatically jump to the menu bar and a drop down window will open. I have tolerated your crashes and countless lost saves. I always preferrred to use Photoshop for its wide range of tools and convenient image adjustments. I'm very sad and dissapointed to see that this software had not been made more friendly to its users over the years. Yes yes you added a colour wheel and camera raw filter and auto cloud save to PS cc but at what cost? I now have to buy a subscription and pay you every month instead of a one-off payment like Photoshop CS6. I have tolerated them all for the love of Photoshop, I don't want to see a day where my love dissappears and leave a scar behind. 

PLEASE fix the Wacom tablet pen pressure issue in v21.2.2, and PLEASE someone tell me how do I restore my photoshop preferences, AND ADD A WARNING for when users are about to revert previous versions of photoshop, so in futrue others don't have to go through the same kind of sh*t I'm going through right now. 

In my opinion Procreate is nothing comparable to Adobe Photoshop, it is TRASH. But I would regret to tell you that I'm moving back to using Procreate on ipad, if these issues aren't fixed. 

Thanks very much Adobe.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

This forum is answered mainly by volunteer users. We do not work for Adobe. When asking for help from those other users, please keep your post readable by using a similar font throughout. The harder it is to read, the less likely folk are to help you.

In Version 21.2.2 you need to use Windows Ink to use pen pressure. Wintab does not work.

So

1. In your tablet properties enable Windows Ink (make sure you do this for the current version of Photoshop if your tablet enables it by application)

2. If you previously used PSUserConfig.txt to disable Windows Ink and force the use of Wintab then remove that text file.

3. Close and restart Photoshop.

You should now have pen pressure in v21.2.2

Dave

Edit to add : There was no Photoshop 2016. It went straight from CC2015.5 to CC2017. In both cases, as with all CC versions, the software was subscription.

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ADOBE ARE YOU TRYING TO FORCE DIGITAL ARTISTS TO QUIT USING PHOTOSHOP????

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I started up Photoshop CC(v21.2.2) as usual, and found my Wacom Tablet pen pressure stopped working. I tried testing the usb cable and the pen nib, tried updating the Wacom driver, tried restarting Photoshop,  tried resetting Wacom settings, and everything else. After like 30min of troubleshooting, I noticed that Photoshop installed its last update a day ago. Before my pen pressure were working normally. 

So I rolled back to a previous version of Photoshop CC (v21.2.1), my pen pressure is back, and I can finally draw normally, yay!! BUT! I realised one thing. MY PHOTOSHOP PREFERENCES AND TOOL SETTINGS AND BRUSHES ARE GONE.  I couldn't find them anywhere on computer, or on cloud. I'm just glad that my cloud saved documents are still there. SO yeah, why is that? After another 30min of search, I finally read on the adobe website that says: Preferences are not preserved when you do a rollback to a prior version/update . Prior to performing a rollback, make sure to back-up your preferences.

Adobe if you are trying to piss off your users, congradulations, you've succeeded and no other company on Earth can do as well as you do. WHY ISN'T THERE A WARNING WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO REVERT BACK TO PREVIOUS VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP??? WHY WASN'T THIS MESSAGE SHOWN TO ME WHEN I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL A PREVIOUS VERSION? WHY??? 

Thanks to you and your ambiguous "user guides", I have to spend another day or two perhaps longer to recreate my photoshop working space. Can't imagine what will happen if I'm on a deadline. Will your company bear any of my loses due to your stupid update which causes pen pressure to stop working? NO! 

I've been using photoshop for 6 years now, I have tolerated your Photoshop CS6 which doesn't have a colour wheel and will go EXTREMELY slow when you load a plugin that adds a colour wheel. I have tolerated your alt menu -- that is, everytime you press alt for hotkey, the interface will automatically jump to the menu bar and a drop down window will open. I have tolerated your crashes and countless lost saves. I always preferrred to use Photoshop for its wide range of tools and convenient image adjustments. I'm very sad and dissapointed to see that this software had not been made more friendly to its users over the years. Yes yes you added a colour wheel and camera raw filter and auto cloud save to PS cc but at what cost? I now have to buy a subscription and pay you every month instead of a one-off payment like Photoshop CS6. I have tolerated them all for the love of Photoshop, I don't want to see a day where my love dissappears and leave a scar behind. 

PLEASE fix the Wacom tablet pen pressure issue in v21.2.2, and PLEASE someone tell me how do I restore my photoshop preferences, AND ADD A WARNING for when users are about to revert previous versions of photoshop, so in futrue others don't have to go through the same kind of sh*t I'm going through right now. 

In my opinion Procreate is nothing comparable to Adobe Photoshop, it is TRASH. But I would regret to tell you that I'm moving back to using Procreate on ipad, if these issues aren't fixed. 

Thanks very much Adobe.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

This forum is answered mainly by volunteer users. We do not work for Adobe. When asking for help from those other users, please keep your post readable by using a similar font throughout. The harder it is to read, the less likely folk are to help you.

In Version 21.2.2 you need to use Windows Ink to use pen pressure. Wintab does not work.

So

1. In your tablet properties enable Windows Ink (make sure you do this for the current version of Photoshop if your tablet enables it by application)

2. If you previously used PSUserConfig.txt to disable Windows Ink and force the use of Wintab then remove that text file.

Dave

Edit to add : There was no Photoshop 2016. It went straight from CC2015.5 to CC2017. In both cases, as with all CC versions, the software was subscription.

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-pen-tablet-windows-ink

A lot of people have the same issue. Please fix this in the next update

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always have Windows Ink enabled and never used PSUserConfig.txt

I restarted Photoshop a lot of times and didn't help. For now I reinstalled v21.2.1, and waiting for an update which solves the pressure issue. 

Also I was meant to say Photoshop CS6, not Photoshop 2016. I remembered the software name wrong as I quitted using it for so long. 

And is there any place where you can find your previous Photoshop preferences, including tool presets and brushes? They were wiped out when I reinstalled the previous version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't help you with the previous settings, but you should always keep a backup of your custom settings

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 2
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe Photoshop Pen support Has issues and Microsoft has INK issues with  feefbacking ALT + CTRL + Shift  + Win visuals when visual effect are un-checked.   User also report INK has performance issues with brush tools.  I'm not a painter so I can not comment about the issue.  I'm inclined the believe painters here.   I know it easy to make brushes lag with unreasonable setting and document size.  But experience painters know what was possible using WinTab and would want the same response with INK.   I believe there are performance issues with INK and it may be a Windows issue not an Adobe issue.    IMO Adobe needs to address the WinTab and INK issues

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0