Highlighted

Adobe Official Response - 2020 Abysmal Performance on High End Systems (RTX 2080Ti)

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can someone point me to Adobe official statements regarding the fact that the 2020 apps are unusable in some instances due to very poor (laughable?) performance? Even in high end workstations.

All I can find is bewildered user questions answered by community 'experts' which fizzle out when users are expected to pour many hours of self system analysis and tweaking and no answer is found. 

Official Adobe statements please; not 'lists of things to look at if you're the one individual who is experiencing problems'.

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Official Response - 2020 Abysmal Performance on High End Systems (RTX 2080Ti)

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can someone point me to Adobe official statements regarding the fact that the 2020 apps are unusable in some instances due to very poor (laughable?) performance? Even in high end workstations.

All I can find is bewildered user questions answered by community 'experts' which fizzle out when users are expected to pour many hours of self system analysis and tweaking and no answer is found. 

Official Adobe statements please; not 'lists of things to look at if you're the one individual who is experiencing problems'.

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you indicate with Photoshop version and OS you have and how much RAM and spare disk capacity?

Also please detail which particular issue(s) you're having (we are not mind readers!)

Have you tried trashing your PS preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go...I'll give one very simple example of where 2020 struggles, ridiculously:

A 200Mb image takes between one and two minutes to open. No layers. Just a simple JPEG.

Nothing else loaded in the app. No other apps running. PS only app loaded since boot. Doesn't matter if this is the first PS operation or not.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.0 20200604.r.225 2020/06/04: 02a81f3015 x64

Windows 10.0.19041

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X; 12-Core; 3.8GHz; 24 logical processors

NVIDIA GeForce 2080 TI

Spare disk capacity: 400Gb on the cache and system SSD; 4 Tb on two other internal HD

To Photoshop: 30Gb available RAM Corsair DIMM 3.0GHz

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the dismissiveness given widespread complaints over performance issues with each and every update of Photoshop. This is not a problem I ever experience with MS Office, or Sketch or any of the other apps I regularly use and those companies update their software more frequently.

In the latest version, performance is so atrocious with more than a handful of artboards that Photoshop is basically useless. The culprit being the update itself is easily verified by the fact performance in version 20 is miles better. Version 19 was better still, but Adobe doesn't let me go back that far. Adobe forced us into this subscription model, but apparently can't be bothered to update and support their software properly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is a user forum you seem to be looking in the wrong place for »Official Adobe statements«. 

Are you willing to do actual trouble-shooting or are you venting?  

If you think there is an actual Photoshop bug you can always post a report over on 

Photoshop Family

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't asking for users in a user forum to provide an Official Adobe Statement. I am asking for users in a user forum to point me (Photoshop user for 30 years) to a statement by Adobe as to what they are doing about the abysmal performance of PS2020. Adobe appears to have said absolutely nothing - apart from the debacle of the iPad version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edited

Generally Adobe does not provide timelines for bug fixing or new features, the best one can usually hope for with regard to legitimate bugs is: »It is being worked on.«

Anyway, I am not debating that the last few Photoshop updates introduced some new bugs (some of which were fixed with the respectively next update, though). 

If you want to post a report (including the full OS data etc.) that will be read by Adobe personnel: 

Photoshop Family

It does not seem extremely likely but you might get an official response there. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"can someone point me to Adobe official statements regarding the fact that the 2020 apps are unusable in some instances"

Hi

I have not seen (nor heard of) an official Adobe statement like the one you are looking for. What we see here as volunteer users is that there are multiple reasons folks have issues with Photoshop, such as graphics cards, conflicts with other software, piracy, and much more. I'm not saying any of these are your issues. Read this help file with solutions to the common problems, and if you are still having issues, start a new thread and describe the what is going on. "Unusable" is a bit vague.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

As c_p said, you can send a message to the Adobe developers at the address he gave.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 2
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although there might be some bugs in new versions, the assertion that the Creative Suite apps are "unusable in some instances ... very poor" and "abysmal" seems to me a wild exaggeration from the OP

We find on the forums that many of the issues posted  as "bugs" turn out to be things like incompatibility or system issues. So if the OP  would like to return and post (in the relevant forums) with the versions and details of the issues, I’m sure he’ll get some friendly assistance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are bugs in the new versions of some apps which make them unusable. I am posting this in the Photoshop forum so, in this instance, I am referring to Photoshop.

I'm game to see where this goes (having read through hundreds of questions here) so, I believe the example I posted in a reply above i.e. that a 200Mb JPEG could take 1-2 minutes to load, is 'abysmal and 'poor' performance; not 'wildly inaccurate'.

If Photoshop is 'incompatible' with a straightforward 'system' like this one (details above) then that's Adobe's poor and abysmal QA in releasing buggy and ill-tested software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the assessing opening time it would seem relevant to know the uncompressed size of the image and Photoshop’s Performance and Scratch Disk settings. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested opening a 1.8GB file with Photoshop version 21.2.1 and it only took about 8 seconds to open on my system

My system specs

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i7 3770k CPU

Nvidia RTX 2060 super

32 GB Ram

500GB SSD system drive and a 200 GB SSD for scratch disk.

I'm not saying that aren't any bugs in Photoshop, but opening large documants is no issue on my system

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 1
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise I just opened a 200MB TIFF and it took seconds.

Maybe the OP needs to do a  reinstall of the whole Creative Suite, perhaps using Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular bug I narrowed down to the latest GPU acceleration implementation attempt. PS identifies my RTX 2080Ti correctly, but enabling 'Use Graphics Processor' causes the issue of crazy load times. Unchecking this option = no delay. Side bug: have to make another app in focus to get PS to load the performance tab.

I then did a complete uninstall of the entire Creative Suite, swept everything with Adobe Cleaner and just reinstalled PS. A difference:

Now only the first image to load has a crazy loading time. Every image after that opens as normal. I'm accepting that as I refuse to waste any more time on it. Adobe needs to fix it and be more transparent about what is broken and what they are fixing.

I will begrudgingly now reinstall Premiere Pro and AE as I have invested many thousands of dollars in third party addons to integrate that into my workflow. That is also beset with problems, well documented in other places, and I now only use then where I absolutely have to for a special effect that I can't take care of with Davinci Resolve.

Sort it out Adobe or your grip on new generations is gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that you have narrowed the issue to the GPU acceleration. I also have an RTX2080ti and have no speed issues here.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 1