• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop 2021 22.1 update keeps crashing on Mac running Big Sur. Help!

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mac has always run like a charm and had absolutely 0 issues. It is the best computer I ever had. I keep if free of junk and have not installed any microspft programs or antivirus, since I mostly use it for picture editing. It runs like a rocket. It is now running Big Sur and no problems.

A few days ago I updated to Photoshop 22.1. since then, every single time that I try to open a raw file (DNG, NEF, RAF) with photoshop, camera raw will freeze after I try to adjust any of the sliders. Then the whole computer freezes, completely unresponsive, and after a few minutes it shuts down by itself. It happens every time I try, with multiple files, it is not a corrupt image file.

When the computer  comes back on, or I press the start button, it reboots, then Adobe reopens, and both the keyboard and the mouse have problems connecting with the mac. It takes fiddling with connecting the keyboard and mouse to the USB cable to reconnect mouse and keyboard. have never seen something like this!

Because of the way the computer crashes, I cannot generate a report for Adobe. 

I have tried uninstalling and installing Photoshop again, and even went back to the previous version (22.01), and the problems persist.

I then manually deleted every single adobe program/folders except creative cloud, then restored them from my time machine backup from prior to the update. Everything works like before! However, Creative Cloud does not know that Photoshop and the other Adobe programs are installed, it thinks I have not installed any.  Ultimately this is not the definitive solution because Creative Cloud will never offer me any update, not knowing that the programs are installed.

If try to install again from Creative Cloud, over the time machine restored program, problems come back exactly the same, even if I install the the version that was working fine before this update (22.01).

I also tried to repair creative cloud, reinstalled photoshop, and problems are still there.

This is insane and hopefully someone can help.

Alberto

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOME Adobe programs are compatible with Apple's BS, but they may have issues
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos-big-sur.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue with Adobe RAW and Lightroom.  I can't edit a single image and nothing I do fixes it.  I think I'm about ready to dump by adobe subscription and move to other software that is less buggy and problematic. Its untenable at this point as there doesnt' seem to be a solution and Adobe doesn't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel exactly the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By way of update, I found a work around for ACR until they get the bugs out.  I downloaded and installed ACR version 12.4 to replace the new version.  This fixed the issue of lock up for Camera Raw.  I haven't tried Lightroom yet since ACR is my prefered image pre-flight software.  Here is a link to the download page if anyone needs it ( I hate adobe, I can't even paste a link here, I have to type it out) 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I felt insane until I read this. The exact same thing has been happening to me, even the trackpad and keyboard connection which is incredibly frustrating. Going to follow this thread and avoid camera raw until this bug gets worked out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue on both my iMac and MacBook Pro, reinstalled CC 2021, tested HW, GPU!  There must many other people feeling as fristrated but I have yet see anything on Adobe site that acknowledges there is a problem, question is only Mac and Big Sur that have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues right after installing the newest Photoshop. HOWEVER, I'm still on Mojave 10.14.6.

It locks up when working with raw images. This is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues right after installing the newest Photoshop. HOWEVER, I'm still on Mojave 10.14.6.

It locks up when working with raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED: https://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/12.x/CameraRaw_12_4.dmg

I had exactly the same issues with Camera Raw / Photoshop. Chatted with Adobe and just had to run this installer. Now everything back to normal, no crashing / freezing anymore. Hope this will work for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, was finding it so frustrating I almost bought a new desktop computer thinking it must be the problem!

This installer worked for me, its all running smoothly again.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had nothing but trouble with Adobe software as of late. From initial installation, to infrequent random crashes with no recovery option resulting in many hours of lost work, to the program simple crashing instantly when attemption to open a simple JPEG file. Looking elsewhere for alternatives. I don't understand, back in the day the program was rock solid on Mac, now its a matter of when, not if, the program will crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still an issue as of May 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines