Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe photoshop 2021 randomly locks up

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

recently updated versions.

when in the middle of doing lineart on a simple piece. the interface completely locks up and progress cannot continue. oddly enough i can still access the top menu and save my work but everything else on the picture itself is inaccessable (only a normal mouse cursor shows up on the screen as opposed to whichever tool would be set). other visible quirks include, when minimizing and then re-maximizing the app, the workspace is no longer visible or accesable (i included a visual on this). this has NEVER happened as long as i have been using photoshop for the past few years i have used this, nor am i currently working on a project larger or more complicated than i normally do.

alexks375_0-1614056921791.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

8 GB total is not enough and is not what is available.

Photoshop alone has a minimum of 8 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure that you have latest updates installed and try with preference reset what is general advice for all things strange in Photoshop https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was in the most recent version, and that is when these problems started happening.

resetting my prefrences did nothing. 

i even went back to the version that was functioning just fine for me but that didnt fix the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences?

If that does not improve go to Photoshop preferences/performance and turn off "use graphics processor" and see if it stablizes.

If it does - that points to an issue with your graphics card.

Did you run all your driver updates after upgrading PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 gb ram and 56 gb remaining space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB total is not enough and is not what is available.

Photoshop alone has a minimum of 8 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your scratch disk set to?

If you have it set to your main HD with 56 GB, again that is not enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm having the same problem with Photoshop on my Mac book pro. From what you're saying the Mac book pro, I just bought, which has 8G is not suitable for using Photoshop?

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB is the total RAM, not what is available once you run your OS or other software.

PS requires at least 8 GB dedicated RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. My PC got 32GB Ram, 2XXGB hardisk space,  CPU i7 9700 3GHZ, RTX 2060Super with the last update driver....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what i am also experiencing hopefully the new update helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the problem – details please, such as which version of InDesign and OS, how much RAM and spare disk capacity, any error messages, what activity are you undertaking when the problem occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello , it was the photoshop version 2021 and i just updated it to the latest, hope this fixes the problem, just randomly while moving a layer it got stuck on the canvas rest eveything was working but nothing was showing on the screen where the main canvas is and the tools didnt change even when i selected different tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines