Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Runs Slow on Cutting Edge Threadripper + Windows 10

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Recently switched from an old Mac trashcan to a state of the art Threadripper system. (Full specs below). I'm horribly disappointed at how slow certain functions run on Photoshop and Illustrator in particular.

My biggest issue with Photoshop is the lag when I close a PSD. With my ancient Mac trashcan there is no perceivable lag. With the new Threadripper, If I open two documents and then close one of them, there is a 5 second lag before I can continue to work on the first document. The correct image is displayed on the canvas, but the Layes pannel still displays the contents of the document that I just closed and I can't do anyting. After 5 seconds the Layers pannel refreshes to the proper contents and I can carry on working. This is especially frustrating when I have a project that requires me to cut and paste hundeds of images from various documents into one master document.

Illustrator has a similar issue only during the 5 second purgatory, I'm stuck looking at the first document and not the second.

Worse than this however is after a little while, Illustrator seems to just give up trying and is especially laggy when doing simple bezier functions. Selecting, moving, and deleting points becomes very laggy. A restart seems to fix the problem but only temporarily.

I'm so hoping someone can help. My preliminary searching has come up with nothing. I find it hard to believe that other professionals who made the switch from Mac are living with this kind of performance.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hardware and software:

Windows 10 (various versions of up to date OS)

Photoshop v 21.2.1 and v 22.0 (Just tried updating and problem still persists)

Illustrator v 24.2.1 and v 25 (Just tried updating and problem still persists)

AMD Threadripper 3970x

Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WiFi sTRX4

2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080ti

HyperX Fury 128GB 3000MHz DDR4 Ram CL 16 DIMM (Kit of 4)

Crucial BX500 2TB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have the same problem, photoshop is very very slow. I am a member of a photoshop mailgroep and everyone with the latest version photoshop  2021 are very disappointed because it doesn't work easy. I also couldn't open a new file but a worker of Adobe has solved the problem. Updates are not always better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a pretty good running drawing tablet, Wacom Mobile Studio Pro which I've created illustrations in 4k that are well over 3-400 MB big. Now, those old files that I was able to run with ease run so slow as if I'm running a 400k size image that's 400 TB (figuratively speaking). I even played with the performance slider some, which is super rare for me to ever go to in times like this. I am lost on what to do too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines