Highlighted

After Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than returning an edited image to Lightroom from PS, further options are not so obvious. If an image is not from LR originally but is opened and edited in PS, does it get returned to it's source when it is 'saved?' If two images are blended and one is from LR and the other from a different source, where does the final image go when saved? Is it true that any image not from LR is edited in PS, it can be sent to the desktop and then dragged and dropped into LR? How does one send an image from PS to the desktop?

I cannot find any tutorial that tackles all of these issues. This issue takes some of the joy out of editing in PS since I cannot guarantee that the finished image will go where I want it.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than returning an edited image to Lightroom from PS, further options are not so obvious. If an image is not from LR originally but is opened and edited in PS, does it get returned to it's source when it is 'saved?' If two images are blended and one is from LR and the other from a different source, where does the final image go when saved? Is it true that any image not from LR is edited in PS, it can be sent to the desktop and then dragged and dropped into LR? How does one send an image from PS to the desktop?

I cannot find any tutorial that tackles all of these issues. This issue takes some of the joy out of editing in PS since I cannot guarantee that the finished image will go where I want it.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to Lightroom Classic, then you are getting confused between save locations and the Lightroom catalogue. The former refers to the location on the disks where the image is stored. The latter is The catalogue of images that you see when you view In Lightroom.

You can save from Photoshop to any location you choose, by using Save-As.

You can add any image, from any disk, to your Lightroom catalogue by using Import in Lightroom. That does not move the image it just adds it to the catalogue. So if you start a brand new image in Photoshop you can add it to the Lightroom Classic catalogue later using import.

Finally, if you select an image in Lightroom Classic from the catalogue and use Edit in Photoshop, then when you save in Photoshop the Lightroom catalogue is updated with your edited image.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Sometimes I will use Save because I want to preserve the layer structure and adjustments, etc. so I can go back in and re edit if I so choose. I have to work with 'Save As' more to see my flexibility in choosing the destination program. My experience is that if I use a non LR image in PS, it returns to the original site like an Elements file or a download file. I find the exit choices from PS to be poorly covered in PS tutorials so, at this point, it will take more research and guidance from the Pros like you to become fluent.

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Save and Save as can both preserve all the layer structure provided you save as either PSD/PSB or TIFF.

Lightroom Classic's library is "just" a catalogue - it does not care in what folder, or on what disk, the images are actually saved. The arrangement of references in the catalogue is completely independent of the folder structure on the disk(s). That's what makes it so powerful for searching. You can save your images in folders and disks by job, or location or date or whatever. But Lightroom can still search and group them in whatever way you choose, provided you spend a little time adding keywords to the images.  So if I ask for images with the text "tree", it will turn up all the images with tree, or trees in the title and also those with the keyword tree(s) tagged to them across all teh images I imported to Lightroom regardless of where I created them and in what folders and disks they are stored.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short, the image goes wherever you want it to go. You decide. Always pay attention to where you save!

Set up a logical folder structure on your drive, so that you always know where your images are and you can find them later.

At work I have a 10 terabyte archive, and even without the file management system we use, I can usually find any image in twenty seconds, because I know where it has to be in the folder structure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse,

Thank you very much for your comments. Are you saying that if I use a non LR image to edit in PS, I can then just import the edited image into LR? Since the Devil is in the Details, where does one send the image to then be imported to LR? You cannot just hit Save and Close and expect it to go to LR like an image would that came from LR.

Thank you,

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't "send" it anywhere. You save it to disk from Photoshop, and make a note of where you saved it.

Then from Lightroom you import it into your catalog. This doesn't move the image in any way, but it makes the Lightroom catalog aware of where the image actually is so that it can record the location.

All your images are somewhere on disk. Nothing is "in" Lightroom. The Lightroom catalog is just a collection of library cards. This image is here, that image is there.

If you have an image open in Lightroom, and you want to know the physical location on disk, click Photo > Show in Explorer. This brings up Windows Explorer with the file highlighted in whatever folder it is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse,

Thanks again. When I went to LR and, with an image on screen, went to Photo > Show in Explorer and nuttin happened. I tried a second from another folder and again, nuttin! 

I know I have messed something up but damned if I know.

My other question still is (don't scream yet) if I send an image to disc from PS, how does LR know that the image I sent is the one whose catalog card I wish to import to LR. I can understand that when I download images from my storage card and hit 'import' that LR sees the most recent download and make new cards for the catalog.  Short of that, when I hit 'import,' unless it comes from my card, how does LR 'know' which cards to make?

Am I making this overly complicated or IS IT overly complicated?

Thanks again,

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are photo apps which take away your photos and puts the whole photo collection in a "safe place". Lightroom is NOT ONE OF THOSE. When you import you choose where the files are copied. It's your choice: you must take control and choose the location for all your photos, or you are storing up catastrophe!  You might also have found a way to directly catalogue the files without moving them from the card. Lightroom knows nothing about these tricks so don't do that! So the location of a file should never be a mystery. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Lightroom to the Library module.

Bottom left you have an "Import" button. Click that, and you get an Import screen. It will look like this:

import.png

The panel on the left is the "Source" panel. This is your folder tree. This is where you find the folder you want to import from. Then you get all the images that are in that folder. Check and uncheck as you want.

Pay attention to the four options in the header of the panel. They are:

• Copy as DNG. You use this if you import raw files from a camera/memory card, and want to convert them to DNG in the process.
  • Copy. As above, used for raw files from a camera - but no DNG conversion.
  • Move. This moves the images to a destination you decide, and adds to the catalog.
  • Add. This leaves the images where they are, nothing is copied or moved, they are only added to the catalog in their present location.

The first three options give you a "Destination" panel on the right. That's another folder tree where you decide where the files go.

For what we're discussing here, the image is already on disk. So you'd use the "Add" option, not moving any files. Then you just check the image you want to import, and uncheck the rest. Then click "Import" and you're done. It will now show in Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0