Highlighted

After updating to Photoshop 21.2 artboards preview disappear when PS is not active

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

After upgrading Photoshop, when I'm working on a document in PS and I switch to another app, the document 'hides' the artboards in it.

I can't drag anything from a different app because I can't see where is it going to land.

I can't swith to a different app keeping an eye on what I'm doing in PS, because it disappears.

I have to switch to PS and scroll a bit to make my artboards appear and this is very inconvenient. I made a video while composing this post to explain the problem.

Basically, I can't see my document if I'm out of Photoshop.

Topics

Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After updating to Photoshop 21.2 artboards preview disappear when PS is not active

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

After upgrading Photoshop, when I'm working on a document in PS and I switch to another app, the document 'hides' the artboards in it.

I can't drag anything from a different app because I can't see where is it going to land.

I can't swith to a different app keeping an eye on what I'm doing in PS, because it disappears.

I have to switch to PS and scroll a bit to make my artboards appear and this is very inconvenient. I made a video while composing this post to explain the problem.

Basically, I can't see my document if I'm out of Photoshop.

Topics

Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this topic, disabled Graphic processor, it didn't fix anything. Then installed the previous version and I lost all of my settings I had: Shortcuts, panels, UI, everything.

Fix this, Adobe!!! What a nightmare 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the artboards issue. Please make sure the graphics processor is turned on in Photoshop preferences. Go to Photoshop preferences > Performance tab > Put a checkmark on "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Photoshop.

Screenshot_12.jpg

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you for your suggestion. 🙂 I tried it when I had the problematic update installed, because it was enabled by default and the problem was happening. Then I disabled it and restarted and it kept happening, so having this option on or off didn't make any difrerence.

At the time I managed to recreate all my workspace and shortcuts in the previous version, since it was impossible for me to work like this and wait for a fix. If I can have both versions installed I can try but I think it is not possible, since when I downgraded to the previous version, the new one was deleted from the Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally "fixed" it following this user advice, going to Preferences > Performance and reducing History States to 25.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it started happening again… 😞 

I tweaked the cache segments to a minor number and it seems to be fixed again. Ket's hope it stays like that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening for me as well. Regret updating now as it makes it an incredibly frustrating experience. The solve proposed does not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uncheked the solution because it just started happening again and it's so annoying.

I tried everything and I guess I'll be downgrading again since I can't use Photoshop like this! Whenever Photoshop is not on focus, the artboards disappear and I get a gray document, I can only see the background and I have to zoom in/out, or scroll or anything every single time. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this?

Please, I can't believe how annoying is to have the document to fail redraw itself when I'm using it. Because not only the artboards disappear but also, the text content will not redraw completely when editing text layers and all of this is happening randomly after changing Performance settings. Sometimes it will work for a while, then it won't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines