Highlighted

.AI & .EPS Files in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WITHOUT INSTALLING ILLUSTRATOR - Is it possible to open .AI and .EPS files in Photoshop and gain access to the individual layers? I apologize if this seems ignornat, but I truly do not know and would really like to avoid having to purchase more software just so I can save .AI and .EPS files in the correect format.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Allin,

The short answer is no.

Both .ai and archaic .eps files are vector. You can place them as a S.O. in PS, but won't be able to access the layers without a vector application. In addition, if you have Illustrator, you can also export to PS layers so PS blending modes and effects can be applied. You might try the 7-day free trial or purchase the plan that is monthly and not annual if you only need it for short term.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Feature request, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

.AI & .EPS Files in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WITHOUT INSTALLING ILLUSTRATOR - Is it possible to open .AI and .EPS files in Photoshop and gain access to the individual layers? I apologize if this seems ignornat, but I truly do not know and would really like to avoid having to purchase more software just so I can save .AI and .EPS files in the correect format.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Allin,

The short answer is no.

Both .ai and archaic .eps files are vector. You can place them as a S.O. in PS, but won't be able to access the layers without a vector application. In addition, if you have Illustrator, you can also export to PS layers so PS blending modes and effects can be applied. You might try the 7-day free trial or purchase the plan that is monthly and not annual if you only need it for short term.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Feature request, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allin,

The short answer is no.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. I sometimes purchase "stock" and invariably wind up with some amount of AI, EPS, or both. A very time consuming and counter productive pain. Who knows, maybe the good folks at Adobe will implement that capability in Photoshop one day. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Alin,

I use both programs and bring things back and forth between them all the time, depending on which one does it better.

The folks at InDesign Secrets called that new application "InDillushop/XD" in their April Fools post a year ago:

https://indesignsecrets.com/adobe-launches-all-in-one-creative-app-indillushop-xd-replacing-photosho...

Yes, who knows! 😊

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDillushop XD huh? That's funny! (I had to re-read the sentence to get the "April Fool's part) 😕 In a way this oddity reminds me of MS Office shortcuts and functions. Most of them are consistent through every program but there are always those one or two "variations" that make most of us talk to our monitors.
I messed around with Illustrator years ago but since I am on a personal budget, I have to be frugal. So "I taught myself Photoshop", use a computer that BARELY handles print files in CC, and seldom stray.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0