Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aliasing problem with curved Photoshop 3D Objects

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I tried to play around with Adobe Dimension recently and started to create objects with Illustrator + Photoshop. Basically it works pretty fine so far except for curves, which always seem to end up with strong aliasing effects after 3D-Extrusion in Photoshop.

• Am I doing anything wrong or is there a workaround for this problem?
  • Is there a way to export compatible 3D-files from Illustrator?
    The objects look fine here after revolving.

Please have a look at the attached screenshots to follow my steps from creating a path in Illustrator, importing it as smart object and extruding it in Photoshop to finally use it in Dimension.

Thank you in advance for you time and help!

Best Regards

Jo

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesn't generate any genuine 3D geometry, so that's out of the question. AI's Revolve and extrude filters are just illusions creating multi-layered blend constructs. As far as your PS work is concerend, it seems your overall resolution/ image size is simply way, way too low. PS determines this based on the document DPI and dimensions in relation to the geometry density and given that even your edges are jegged, the assumption would have to be that you are working based off a 72 DPI doc with only 1000 x 1000 pixels or something liek that. That aside, if you really want control over the actual shape and curvature approximations you need to learn a 3D program to generate the geometry. Even all your meticulous curve tweaks in AI utterly go to waste because PS' algorithm may decide that they are not necessary...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! I already assumed there wasn't much hope to implement such projects with Photoshop 3D, but it was worth a try. My document resolution was 5000 x 3500 px with 300 DPI already, therefore it won't really do much boosting that any further I guess.

Learning a 3D program is something I wanted to do for quite some time but I can't decide which one, since I don't really need it for my job so far.

At the moment I would mainly use it to virtualize products like hand tools, power tools and supplies used in the construction and automotive industry, at least jobwise.

Any suggestions which one might be worth to take a closer look at for that kind of objects? I know those programs all have pros and cons regarding different fields of application, so a hint from someone with experience is always welcome 🙂

Best regards
Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines