• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All Menu Items Greyed Out CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I use Photoshop CS5, at some point all of the menu items get greyed out and don't come back unless I quit and reopen Photoshop.  There doesn't seem to be anything that triggers it.

All the keyboard shortcut and the mouse and tools work fine, but I can't select any of the menu items in the dropdowns in the menu bar (Photoshop, File, Edit, Image, etc)

This is obviously very annoying...any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a try and see if it happens again.  Unfortunately since I haven't figured out when it happens I don't know how to replicate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bumped into this little beauty today. Every item in every menu greyed out.

"Trash your Prefs" parrots steer clear. It aint prefs. I'll tell you what it is, though: scary. Quitting the file without saving and reopening cleared it. I couldn't begin to guess what set it off.

Hey Chris....5000 beta testers and we're the only two to see this? I doubt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem. no apparent reason. trashing prefs did nothing. very uncool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had my different workspace shortcuts grayed out when they shouldn't be, but not all menu items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Frank;   yeah, only a few (2 or 3) reports.

Do you have any third party plugins installed?  If so, have you tried disabling them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Chris. Not one 3rd party plug-in. This is a 2 day old clean install of CS5 Creative Suite Premium (the installation of which, went flawlessly). The only divergence from the stock Photoshop install is the use of some CS4 preset files: Actions, Gradients, Shapes and Swatches...which were copied over from 4 to 5's Preset folders.

I was running in 64bit mode. Primary scratch disk is a dedicated empty internal 1/2tb drive. The file used at the time was about 8mb and uses about 50 layers tucked into 7-8 Groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, plugins would have been too easy.

Are you sure you aren't in a modal state (like with a dialog off the main display)?

The next things to look at are system modifications (we've already seen 2 that conflict with Photoshop's new Cocoa code), and drivers (especially any that might have per-app preferences).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue over here...

Running PS CS5 on a 8core MacPro with 9gb RAM...

PS runs in 64bit

MAC OS X 10.5.8 installed

The problem appears from time to time...without specific reasons...

I am sure I'm not in any modal state cause all tools and keyboard shortcuts still work perfectly... only the menu gets grayed out.

I don't really know what Chris Cox means by "system modifications"... can you tell us a bit more about this ?

Also note that this is one of the many problems we have with CS5...  You probably have heard of trouble with panning and troubles with the liquify tool beeing incredibly slow...  I know it has nothing to do with the problem discussed in this thread... but I'm wondering is it couldn't somehow be all related...

... so far, PS CS5 is a pain in the ***, but I'm getting this feeling that it's a matter of a few fixes to get it up and running smoothly.

Thanks.

J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trashing my preferences file I haven't run into the problem again, but as I said before I'm not sure what I can do to replicate the problem because it seemed random.  As far as system modifications, I haven't made any mods to my MBP.  It is a stock i7 15 inch.  I also installed CS5 from scratch and didn't bring in anything from CS4.  I decided to start clean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know what Chris Cox means by "system modifications"... can you tell us a bit more about this ?

Things you added to modify menu behavior, add new behavior, add new color pickers, etc. to the OS.

We know about the Liquify problem.

Panning is still being looked into (but we can't even get consistent descriptions of the problem...).

We have no idea (other than third party plugins, or a modal dialog) why the menus would be grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... can't think of any modifications I would have made...

One thing I didn't mention but that pops to my mind now :  The computer runs 3 screens, with 2 video cards installed (a nVidia 8800GT as the main display (2 screens) and a ati Radeon HD 2600XT for the 3rd screen)  That used to be a problem for CS4, which was unable to use the openGL of the nVidia...  OpenGL is now working in CS5...   Now, I guess this has nothing to do with it... but thought I should mention it.

Also... I'm wondering... is there anything we should do if the grayed out menu problem should arise again ?  I'm thinking debug info that we could somehow get to you...

Thanks

J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue here. I have had it twice now in Photoshop.. no idea why. No plugins, no extras, all the preferences untouched. All other keyboard shortcuts working but the program it self won't quit with cmd+Q.

Lucky us the shortcuts work and we don't loose any files!

Late 2008 MBP (Core2Duo), 4Gt, OS X 10.5.8, PS runs in 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the items on 3D work. All gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duck - that's a completely different problem.  The 3D features require OpenGL, if you don't have a video card that meets the requirements, the 3D commands won't be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. I finally got the problem solved with an Adobe professional, after a long hold. We have all had these problems, yes. The program wasn't reading my card. I exited the program. Shut off the GL whatever. Rebooted and turned it on. It said, glad to see you Mr. NVidia. Now you can do #D.

Thanks for the help.

duckshots@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working again. I have an Nvidia card that should work fine. Don't understand.

Duck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add another one to the pile. Nvidia GTX 285 with 2 monitors, one being a 30" Cinema Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I'm on a Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8ghz Xeon, 6GB RAM, os X 10.5.8. I can save with command-S but all menu items grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what do we do? I have contacted Adobe support a few times. It works for a click and then gray again.

Thanks for the reply!

duckshots@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least one person reported that the cause was a third party plugin - remove the plugin, problem goes away.

Another had font issues, and clearing the Apple font cache made the problem go away.

Yet another had corrupt fonts: validating them in FontBook, then removing the corrupt fonts made the problem go away.

But we haven't been able to reproduce the problem reliably enough to debug it.  (last time I got it, #$%^@%#$% GDB crashed when I tried to attach)

And we suspect that there is some underlying issue with event handling that makes the grayed out menus occur (because when it happens, normal keyboard shortcut handling is messed up in addition to grayed out fonts).

We're still actively investigating this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this happen a couple of times in my two weeks of using Photoshpp CS5. It looks like some OS inconsistency to me. The solution is simply to go into the Finder and activate a Window, then back to Photoshop. You'll find that the menus and windows come back, no need to quit Photoshop. Again further evidence that OSX 10.6 is not ready for prime time. No plug ins - Just photoshop installed clean and simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it but it didn't work. I will try again.

Thanks.

duckshots@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris:

No modal menus were up from anything else (or PS itself).  I just went to save a file and found that greyness abounded. Straight 10.6.3 install, no extras.

If this helps, I am running two ACD's 30" and 24 into an Apple supplied X1900XT card. There was nothing I could do to document this beyond grabbing a screen shot of one of the greyed menu pulldowns.

I worked with it for about 9 hours today and haven't seen it.

I should mention that because nothing was available from the menus, I treated it as though it were a hang/crash. I didn't attempt to try a CMD/S to save the doc I was working on out of potential corrupt file paranoia. Figured it was safer to force quit, shut down, reboot and relaunch. Didn't see it after that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines