• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All Menu Items Greyed Out CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I use Photoshop CS5, at some point all of the menu items get greyed out and don't come back unless I quit and reopen Photoshop.  There doesn't seem to be anything that triggers it.

All the keyboard shortcut and the mouse and tools work fine, but I can't select any of the menu items in the dropdowns in the menu bar (Photoshop, File, Edit, Image, etc)

This is obviously very annoying...any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as well. After having CS4 crash constantly on my macbook, I was happy to get into CS5, but now I am havng the menus ALL greyed out. I think I notice it happening mostly after I command+S (to save my work) but I will pay attention in the future to see if anything else specifically triggers it.

The only fix is completely shutting down CS5 and reopening. This will become a hassle.

Has there been any news of what this is or if a fix will be available.

I am using OS 10.5.8 Leopard on a macbook

No plug-ins. No modifications. No imports from CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any news of what this is or if a fix will be available.

It's an event problem in Cocoa.  We're really not sure what triggers it, and we can't reproduce it reliably to debug it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command + S did it. I resized canvas (resize was done from the menus so they were working OK) and saved with command + S. Then clicked to next document in different window and wanted to resize canvas with that one too. All the menus were gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just to add that it occurred the first, or second time, I booted PhotoShop CS5 on a new i7 10.6.3 machine. All menus without exception were greyed. I discovered it trying Cmd O which didn't work. After a moment being stunned, then stumped, I just instinctively hit the Cmd Q as a last ditch before reaching for the force quit in the Apple menu and was surprised to find it  responded to that keyboard command and quit. Since then (and so far) it's been fine.

I'm desparately trying to think which other app in the Premium Suite did it on first boot too. I think it was Illustrator though I cannot be certain. By then I'd seen it before and dismissed it as "oh that again". The same applied - Cmd Q and reboot = been fine since.

I had installed CS4 on the same brand new machine (no migration so I  know it was a 'clean' machine) just the month before. The CS5 suite was an upgrade as opposed to a new install. I'd not done anything to customise PhotoShop CS4 during the month, as I knew I'd be getting the upgrade and my work was mostly in the other apps.

The other apps in the Premium Suite haven't done this particular party trick to me... yet.

Whether this tells anyone anything, or helps point the way to the 'cocoa event', I don't know, but I thought I'd add my experience just incase it does help. Is there anywhere where this might be recorded? I'm pretty confident with the Mac and happy to supply info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We think we found the smoking gun for this problem just yesterday (the progress bar).

We're working on it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? I have the same issue on 2 different os x machines and its killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's close. We're in the final stages of testing the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick question:

Will the update just be a part of the regular adobe updates that become available to our software, or will we have to specifically download a patch?

Sidenotes: I am noticing that it is just happening occasionally after a cmnd+S typically in larger documents. I am happy that I am still able to save my work before restarting CS5 so I don't lose anything, but I will be thrilled with an update that patches this little nuisance. It doesn't happen ALL the time, but it happens enough!!

Thank you for the feedback and working on the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will become available as part of the regular updater. Photoshop will give you a notification that an update is available, or you will be able to get it by choosing Help>Updates once it becomes available.

You are describing exactly how it happens. The Save progress dialog on large files/slow drives triggers it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very specific version of this problem.  Sometimes, especially after I expand my canvas to add a white border that I then want to stroke, I'm unable to select all, either with a keyboard shortcut or with the menu.  When I pull down the menu, the select all command is not available.  If I back up, before expanding my canvas, I am able to select all and stroke.  I am not in a mode that should prevent me from doing this, and have a normal layer as my active one.  I've been using PS for enough years to know that this is not the normal behavior.  After a restart, it is sometimes fine.  Occasionally, a second restart is required to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I am not the only one, because then it would be me and not the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2010 Aug 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same problem on Windows Professional x64 using Adobe Photoshop 64bit

I have 8GB of Ram and 512MB Nvidia 8800GTS Video Card. 

I noticed the problem 1st when 3D menu would come and go as I went into Photoshop a few times..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Macintosh forum, and the menus graying out was a Macintosh specific bug.

So I doubt you have the same problem.

The 3D menu can be grayed out because your video card driver isn't capable of using the 3D features (can be intermittent if it returns errors).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is a Mac Forum but I figured I'd let you know that it is occurring across the board,  oddly enough it works fine using the 32bit version and not the 64bit version of Photoshop.  3D works sometimes and doesn't the next..comes and goes time to time really random haven't got a clue.

I updated my drivers for my card, and got the latest updates from Adobe same problem.  I even tried restarting, deleting my preferences and nothing had any effect.

I even attached a link to a video of me having this problem so you can see for yourself there is something going on that is really wrong.

• I am originally in Photoshop 32bit (You can see the 3D Menu on the top + in the performance it recognizes the Card)
  • Then I go into CS5 Adobe Photoshop 64Bit (You do not see the Video card being detected)  <-- That may be an issue
  • Then I go back to 32bit to show I'm not kidding

Here is the video:

http://www.computerrich.com/downloads/Problem_with_64Bit_Photoshop.swf

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this problem was driving me crazy until by chance I realized that I had to be in Standard Screen Mode for the Menu items to show up. Give it a try. Just hit the “F” key to get back to the Standard Screen Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

duckshots@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2010 Aug 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well..... any progress on the problem yet as I just lost another 1/2 hour worth of work? I have a rather large file with many layers that takes over a minute to save so saving it every 10 minutes is getting VERY tedious and losing work is getting even more so. Oh yea, this time since I could not save it I tried playing with the different options that I could still use, like the change of floating vs. full vs blacked out. Well after clicking Photoshop gave up and crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu grayed out problem was solved back in June with the 12.0.1 release of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that. I haven't complained. I was very happy that Adobe listened. I am content first and process later. Thank you.

duckshots@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved? Not sure about that. It may have been reduced but I'm still having the problem. Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don, which OS? Are you sure you have the 12.0.1 update? We haven't had any complaints since we released the update so there may be something different going on for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.6.4 and all Adobe products are up to date. I'm running a 2008 2.8ghz Octo with 12 gigs of RAM. If you are not hearing of anyone else I may have to try a new install or run the hardware test on my memory. I just had a memory riser card blow out a chip and replaced the card so maybe I need to check my memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem; grateful to see that it's being (been?) addressed. I'm on a Mac Pro Quad Core, OS 10.5.8, with 4 GB of RAM. My gray out problem with the menu functions occurs once every day or two, and I'm working long hours in Photoshop CS5 these days. The syndrome is much like it's been described above ( I am working in standard screen mode).

Here's the kicker: I've tried twice to download the Photoshop 12.0.4 upgrade, but both times I get the message "Mounting failed." What the @#$%^? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arty you replied to an ancient thread but in any case I was able to solve this problem by entering in the correct serial.  You may need to deactivate your product and reactivate it by entering in your serial again.  Somehow with the demo verison I had originally installed than unistalling and using my purchased Adobe product it failed to activate as the demo days or something was keeping the product active though you had already entered in the serial.

So to sum it up, try deactivating the product and re-entering/re-activating the product thats what fixed it for me...but your on a mac and I was on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines