• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of my Actions dissapeared.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue as a result of having to find the right version of Photoshop where the Pen Tool actually works. 22.3 is clearly not working, the community recomended 22.2. I downgraded a few days ago, the Pen Tool was working fine. After a fresh restart of the MacBookPro today, the Pen Tool started misbehaving again (no path shown, weird node follow behaviour with no anchors). So I reverted to 22.1.1 to finish a job with a working Pen Tool. Launched Photoshop to find all of my Actions have dissapeared. Did Adobe really just delete them all when installing? Can I get them back? How do I ensure these are is not deleted while dealing with this versioning mess going forward? I've arleady lost too much time/money trying to fix ths Pen Tool issue!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always store your actions by saving them on disk instead of only keeping in Actions panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going from 22.3 to 22.2.1 did not delete my Actions. Should I have known that going from 22.21 to 22.1.1 would do something different?

Regardless, lesson learned, I will be saving my Action elsewhere now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately downgrading to too old version may do unwanted results, like losing preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

The location of the Actions Palette.psp file can be found in locations similar to –

Mac:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop ??? Settings/Actions Palette.psp

Win:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop\???\Adobe Photoshop ??? Settings\Actions Palette.psp

C:\Users\username\appData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop ???\Adobe Photoshop ??? Settings\Actions Palette.psp

Replace “username” with your user account name and also replace ??? with your version name/number. On Windows OS, the AppData directory is hidden by default. The path to this directory and file may change with different versions of Photoshop, however, you should be able to find the file knowing the above. Best practice is to manually save out each action set individually to a .atn (action) file using the menu on the upper right of the action palette window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If ActionsPalette did not show his actions after downgrading then .psp is removed / rewritetten, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suggesting to look in other version folders, not the version where they are missing. It is a small hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No hope. They are different versions indeed but in scope of same preferences folder release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what Stephen has told you, with Windows some preset folders are not removed from previous versions with full version updates, so I'm guessing that the same happens with OSX.   You 'might' be lucky, but I suspect probably not.  The Brush presets folder is often left behind for instance, but more recently it just gets moved.  However I have never had to go back a version so I don't know what happens in that situation.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a career of using PS on Windows, I've only recently been working with it on a Mac. I am used to the situation Trevor pointed out with those folders not dissapearing. Thank you Stephen for the folder locations and scripts, and thanks  Kukurykus for jumping in so quick! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you manage to recover anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe he still had those actions on PC if he kept that computer unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No luck. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines