• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All selection tools seem to be bugging out, they are selecting WAY too much. Video included

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after rebooting PC photoshop works out for some time, but eventually this happens: https://streamable.com/0uo2qj

I recently wiped my computer completely with a fresh Win 10 install and Photoshop is the latest version (21.1.3). Never had this problem in previous Photoshop versions (like pre-2019). 

Any help appreciated!

edit 18 august 2020: so today I had an issue with Pen Pressure stopping working with my drawing tablet. After trying the basic standard method of deactivating and reactivating Windows INK, to no avail, I thought maybe the solution I tried for my selection issue was the culprit (linked below). So I had to delete the PSUserConfig.txt that had earlier solved my marquee selection problem. Thankfully the selection tools AND pen pressure are working just fine right now! So if some soul stumbles upon this thread and have SAME issues as me, I thought I'd post this edit in case it will work for you too. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

If you are using a tablet and WinTab API Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 update and has not fixed it. You need to use Windows INK API above Photoshop 2020 version 21.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does resetting your preferences help, or does it go back to after doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it, and it is not working. Last two times (once before resetting preferences, and now after resetting preferences) PS seem to hang itself a little while I am using Space+Drag with the hand tool, which hangs Photoshop enough so that I can't zoom in out out anymore - the canvas is frozen. I can switch tools and save the file however but a lot of functionality isn't there anymore. I can't use the Selection tools on the canvas to see if they are still acting out but this bug that is happening now seem to be only worse. 

I've updated my video drivers (Geforce GTX 960 Nvidia drivers) too which didn't solve anything. I also have Bitdefender Antivirus which might be worth mentioning in case that is interfering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having as similar issue since new update launched.  I'm on Mac platform and the image/adjustments from the drop down menu lock up whenever I try and make changes.  It works from the "adjustments" panel but not from the dropdown menu.  Spoke to support and they cleared my preferences and it lasted for a few hours but issues are now back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried "Use Legacy Compositing" in the preferences under performance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I always have that boxed checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue never surfaced until the 21.1.3 release.  I have a partner having the same issues, again on a mac with the latest OS running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mac issue is separate to the OPs issue and is  a known bug.

You can either :

1. Turn off the rulers

Or 

2. Move the adjustment dialogue box outside the Photoshop window

Or

3. Use adjustment layers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, no work.

I use Space+Drag a lot and it only seem to bug out while I am using that tool, and I use it a lot. Maybe a combination of Ctrl+Space+Dragging. I will try and edit in photoshop for a while without using those shortcuts and see if I can recreate this bug. 

I am also using a Wacom CTH-680 in case that will help you folks with debugging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a tablet and WinTab API Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 update and has not fixed it. You need to use Windows INK API above Photoshop 2020 version 21.0.3

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bugs as Sonno and I have windows ink on my computer, not wintab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked through your old replies and found out the solution in another thread, it seems to be working now thank you!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/pen-pressure-issues/td-p/6211904?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has nothing to do with WinTab.  

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm also on Win 10. I tried to contact Adobe directly and they gave me no solution. There are also other bugs like lag in the sliders in the adjustment>color replacement tool, or problems in creation or text blocks, as well as the "new layer" button getting stuck after a while (the latest update was said to have solve this one but it has not). I don't know how but the latest update(s) keep adding bugs, it's extremely frustrating for a software expensive as it is.

Maybe try to contact Adobe directly via mail or chat, at least they'll see that many people encounter the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another bug I forgot concerns the eyedropper tool : it only picks a neutral gray instead of the color you're clicking on. This bug, like the one with the selection tool, happens only if you're using the mouse, not the tablet pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working on a layer mask. Layer masks are a gray scale channel there are only neutral colors in a mask even if you use the eye dropper on a color a neutral will set for paint color. 

Are you sure you do not havs a PSUserConfig.txt files in you Photoshop preferences folder that is configuring Photoshop not to use the default INK api with your Pen? 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It's nothing to do with the layer masks because if I use the eyedropper tool with the mouse, it picks a neutral gray but if I use it with the cintiq pen, it picks the right color.
Otherwise, I work on Photoshop 2020 . I don't see any PSUSerConfig.txt in the Adobe Photoshop 2020 settings folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you are having same issue as me, I didn't notice the eyedropper thing (then again I don't use eyedropper that much) but in my case I had to create the text file and put it in the folder: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/pen-pressure-issues/td-p/6211904?page=1

This solved my issue! Good luck with yours. If you don't solve it I suggest make a separate thread and give as much details as possible, screen record with OBS studio and post on streamable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for now I downgraded to an earlier version of photoshop... If that still doesn't work, I'll check that solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now I tested the PSUserconfig thing, and maybe I don't do it properly but it doesn't seem to work for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Wintab, which is enabled with the PSUserConfig.txt file was necessary in older PS versions to get around issues with Windows Ink.  However, in the newest versions of Photoshop the recommendation is to use Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the selection tools issue. Could you please update Photoshop to 21.2 version to see if that helps.

To update Photoshop to 21.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud Desktop app next to Photoshop.

More details and instructions for updating

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, reading the forum, the 21.2 update seems to bring even more new bugs (and apparently even more annoying, like black screen or impossibility to save files) so I'll wait for the next one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't read too much into that. Whilst it is undoubtably causing issues on some systems, I have no new issues running 21.2 here. Try it, you can always step back if it causes an issue for you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines