• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Don't allow duplication of locked layers

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The (Mac)keyboard shortcut to make a copy of a selection when not in the move tool is:
command-option-drag selection. That's all good! But this same keyboard shortcut should NOT duplicate fully locked layers. A locked layer should really be locked (like Illustrator) or else there should be a preference to make it so, please. thanks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are June 2019 and this is still incredibly annoying. When a layer is locked it should be COMPLETELY locked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2019 Aug 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem's quite simple. I'm in a fast paced work environment designing decor. I often have to duplicate masked branch-like objects and the fastest way to do it is alt dragging the object in the document window. 90% of the time this will grab the locked background layer and duplicate it instead. Sure I could go into the layers panel and do this, but there are sometimes hundreds of layers over there. Can we please have a preference option to turn this mostly useless feature off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it's not. that literally just duplicates the layer exactly as alt-drag does. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this a solution?

Having to click into the layers panel to select your layer defeats the purpose of having a shortcut to Alt-Drag, which is the issue we're discussing. Otherwise, I'd simply click into the layers panel and duplicate the layer I want duplicated. When you have 40+ layers, being able to Auto-Select Layer and then Alt-Drag to duplicate is a gamechanger. 

Regardless, it's still completely ridiculous and counterintuitive that a position-locked layer can be selected and duplicated!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2019 Sep 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still big problem, can' t use locked top layer for orientation and work beneath because locked layer also duplicates whenever I want to duplicate beneath layer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the layer with the move tool. Then hold Command and Option to drag and copy the layer. This will ignore the locked layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an issue when I alt + drag elements on my screen to quickly duplicate them. If there is a locked layer above what I want to select (auto-select is on) it will duplicate the locked layer instead of the element I have selected. I use auto-select and alt+drag to make my workflow faster, and I see no real reason to be able to duplicate layers that were previously locked. Unless someone has a very good reason for doing this, I think it's a minor technical fix that would make more sense.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

press cmd option and drag to duplicate a layer underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ! Thanks for the information ! I still stand by the fact that this should be the default option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree with the OP. This has bugged me for years... Upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DECEMBER 2019...regualrly checking to see if this is sorted in new updates.... it isn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I have text hovering over locked layer and i'm trying to duplicate using ctrl drag on the text, it grabs the locked layer and copies it instead, this bug was there for forever. attached is screen recording.

Image is not available

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cYVwbkwjJm

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COMPLETELY AGREE.
I lock my layers to keep them visible but prevent myself from accidentally modifying them. Making option+drag work on locked layers disrupts messes me up every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suffered from this since ever. One possible solution (only tested on Windows so far): 1) select the object layer; 2) use the right ALT (right option in mac, maybe?) key to drag. 

Is not perfect, but prevents some annoyng additional moves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on CS5 and it doesn't work.  Behavior with Right ALT is same as Left ... if you're hovering on a locked layer when you do it, the locked layer duplicates.  Anyone else get this to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you sure? I mean: 1) Click on the layer you want to duplicate; 2) then hold right alt e click and drag (not necessarily in the object,, could be in any place of the canvas). I attached a video. Im using Photoshop 2020, so maybe it could be a version issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often duplicate layers by selecting the move tool and then CTRL+ALT+ Left clicking on the layer in the canvas, to drag a new copy. I noticed that this also affects locked layers, which I found to be annoying. I sometimes use a locked layer with reduced opacity that's on top of all the other layers as reference, and when using the aforementioned method, this selects and duplicates this locked layer. Is this intentional behavior? I'd expect the locked state of a layer to mean that there's no interaction possible on the canvas with this layer, only in the layer window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heavily agree that this is how it should work. I'm having the same issue but with a layer under the layers I'm trying to alt+drag. The shapes I'm dealing with are rather small, so instead of selecting the layer I need it to select, it instead will grab the background and duplicate it instead quite often, which is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly alt+drag is duplicating locked layers. I don't want this behaviour.

I have a locked overlay over the entire canvas, I don't want alt+drag to make a duplicate of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to do/achieve using Alt + drag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to duplicate a unlocked layer underneath the locked layer

this was working before but then I had to re-reset settings and now it doesn't work. 

I know I can uncheck 'auto select' layers but before this was not necessary 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have overlay above it will always select it with Auto Select. Hold down and Ctrl/Cmd to temporary disable Auto Select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your analogy is dumb and wrong... jeez... A picture of a house is not the same thing as a locked house...By your logic you have a house and a picture of a house when in reality you should have 2 houses...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD + Alt +drag solves it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate