• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rotation tool on Wacom Tablet ExpressKeys stays selected, press-and-hold function disappeared

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since version 23.1 the Rotation tool have an issue.

Since ever, the rotation tool is set on one of my tablet's ExpressKeys.
Usually it's activated by pressing and holding the key, when I release the key it automatically switches back to whatever other tool I was using before (as it should be).
But since the latest update it stays selected if pressed touched ones and I'm forced to manually switch back to another tool (such as the brush for example).
I'm a professional illustrator and this is extremely annoying and slows down my workflow a lot.

I already set the rotation tool to another ExpressKey but also there it has the same issue.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022
Adobe Employee , Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Steps:

• Use the following optional extension (see this kb article for info on optional extensions) in PSUserConfig.txt:
    • sprk <time in milliseconds>
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 20000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 20 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

This change went into 23.0.1 and in recent testing, I found that 100 to 300 works wel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Thanks for reporting this @Francesco_Giacomelli We have a similar bug that I've added more info to.  The same thing happens with the R key.  It is assigned to an Engineer to look at and fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Looks like a timing issue.  If you press the key to rotate, tap/click and drag to rotate, release the mouse button or lift the stylus with the rotate key still down, wait and then release the rotate key, it will return to brush.  If you do this quickly, it doesn't return and stays with the rotate tool.  Still a bug we need to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

I've been able to repro this problem and will log/escalate this!  Thanks for reporting this and apologies for the broken workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich nutze die Version 22.3 nativ auf meinem MacBook Air M1 , macOS ist aktuell. 
Zb beim Reperaturwerkzeug wenn ich mit gedrückter alt Taste eine Quelle auswähle und sie wieder loslasse bleibt das Fadenkreuz, erst nach dem ich die Taste erneut drücke geht es weg. Oder auch bei D&B um zwischen den Werkzeugen zu switchen funktioniert es nicht immer richtig. 
ausserhalb von Photoshop funktioniert die Taste ganz normal. 
Hat dieses Problem noch jemand?

[Mod: English translation]

I use version 22.3 natively on my MacBook Air M1 , macOS is up to date.
Zb at the repair tool when I select a source with the alt key pressed and release it again remains the crosshairs, only after I press the button again it goes away. Or even with D&B to switch between the tools, it doesn't always work properly.
outside of Photoshop, the button works normally.
Does anyone still have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the Photoshop preferences to the default settings

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, i reset the preferences but the problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem (macOS Big Sure, PS 22.3.1) and am also very interested in a solution. I can only reproduce the phenomenon in the interaction of Photoshop with a Wacom tablet. If I use the Photoshop and the mouse, then everything runs smoothly. Likewise, there is no problem in the combination of Wacom tablet with all other apps.

I have already turned off and adjusted various settings, unfortunately without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest version of the Wacom driver installed? It's at the momemt version 6.3.45-1

Drivers | Wacom

Another try is to reset the Photoshop preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I got the newest wacom driver.

No, resetting preferences didn't do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to repro this problem and will log/escalate this!  Thanks for reporting this and apologies for the broken workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a timing issue.  If you press the key to rotate, tap/click and drag to rotate, release the mouse button or lift the stylus with the rotate key still down, wait and then release the rotate key, it will return to brush.  If you do this quickly, it doesn't return and stays with the rotate tool.  Still a bug we need to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting into this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a huge problem with the zoom tool which keeps reverting to the previous tool used. For example, I use a brush then switch to the zoom tool to zoom out, it shows the magnifying glass pointer but when I click and drag to zoom out it then switches back the the brush and draws a line. It does this with all tools when I use zoom but seems particularly bad with the eye dropper and brush and the pen tool. Is this issue connected to the spring-loaded tool feature that Photoshop added into the program and has anyone found a way to disable or work around it? This completely destroys workflow and I'm at the point of stopping using Photoshop.

I'm using 23.1 on Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sticky keys like holding R for rotate canvas or holding E for the eraser doesn't return back to the active tool? I use these two very often and I know how they usually behave. Now the function is broken. I have still PS 22.5.4 installed and there are no issues with the sticky keys.

I tried the recently released 23.1.1, but the problem persist there too.

All this on MacPro 2019 running Catalina 10.15.7

I have the same issues on my MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.1

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Please fix or help with possible workaround.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J453 , thanks!

I tried the PSuserConfig File but had no success. I'm also not sure about the syntax? there are no examples and the "sprk" option is not listed on the "Enable optional extensions" Adobe website?

Is there a better example?

Although I was surprised that there are so many complaints about it on the other topic. Exactly my issue. 

I hope a fix is coming. it worked perfectly until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Alt-Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out just seems to stop working at random. Its a quick fix of just switching to another tool then back, but its just super annoying cause it happens pretty frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help solve the issue in Photoshop, select Help > System Info.

1. In the System Info dialog, click Copy.
  2. Attach or copy the info here to this thread.

As a workaround, try the following:

1. Go to Preferences > Technology Previews and enable Deactivate Native Canvas
  2. Restart Photoshop.

Also:

Does the file size matter, for example 8bit vs 16 bit file?

Or a large Document vs Smaller? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been using the spring-loaded zoom feature for many years now, dragging my wacom pen left and right while holding the "Z" key. Now it's not working anymore. Actually sometimes it works, usually zooming out, but never zooming in. It simply keeps the zoom tool, not switching back to the previous tool.

If I use the shortcut cmd+space instead or the Z key, it seems to work just fine, but it would be quite a nightmare to change my muscle memory for this...

I'm working on a 2013 MacPro, MacOS Monterey 12.1, Photoshop 23.1.1.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this @Francesco_Giacomelli We have a similar bug that I've added more info to.  The same thing happens with the R key.  It is assigned to an Engineer to look at and fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chad,

Good to hear that, thanks.

Btw yes, I can confirm that the R key also has the same problem.

Hope to see a fix soon.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here an a 2013 MacPro. Workaround doesn't change anything....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps:

• Use the following optional extension (see this kb article for info on optional extensions) in PSUserConfig.txt:
    • sprk <time in milliseconds>
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 20000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 20 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

This change went into 23.0.1 and in recent testing, I found that 100 to 300 works well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francesco_Giacomelli please try out the following on Ps 23.1 and let us know how it fares:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-rotation-tool-on-wacom-tablet-expresskeys-...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@laden.m @hellyeeeah please try out the following on Ps 23.1 and let us know how it fares:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-rotation-tool-on-wacom-tablet-expresskeys-...

Just add the following line to //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/PSUserConfig.txt, restart Ps and perform the intended workflow.

sprk 200

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me! thank you! I wrote a # in my previous PSuserConfig, that´s why it didn`t work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rajneeshc68428823  Thnaks!

sprk 200 works here too.

But shouldn't be implemented in the software as it was for so many years? 

Votes

Translate

Translate